5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for trade the 2019 Limited

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of people on Ford forums complained of the seat back tilt button being positioned so it gets hit easily (to move backrest backward) if you slide out of the seat. I experienced this a good number of times with my previous 2018. Looks like the lever is the same for 2021. Just looking at the console shifter makes me think of the wasted space vs RAM dial or a column shifter.
I haven't run across the seat back tilt issue. But mine mine has the easy entry/exit feature and memory so if I hit it I wouldn't know. It goes to my memory position when I get in.
Yep, it's got a shifter. Yep, no reason for it. But I never used all of the console space that was in the Ram anyway. At least I got my hand rest back ;)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Talked to a friend that has a new Ford with less than 10,000 miles on it. He pulled his camper to Texas and was in the storm. He lost power and water so he gassed up his Ford and put it on the trailer and let it idle for 2 days and nights to run the furnace and keep warm after the battery pooped out. He now says its so screwed up and carboned up that it doesnt have enough power to pull his camper. He is going to a dealer to either get it fixed or trade it again for something else so he can make it home. Good luck planning on using one of those for a house generator.
Thanks for the report. Theres so little info on extended idling for that new engine combination available. (I’d bet that Ford will deny him under warranty if he tells them what he did.)

A Prius can do it (Hurricane Sandy stories) but who knows how this one was engineered?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ford got somefree publicity on the news as some Tx dealers were loaning out the new hybrid trucks to provide power.
A comment on the article was:

“I've had my trusty 8.2Kw Generac with an 8 gallon tank for almost 15 years. Maintenance consists of starting once/quarter for 30 minutes. I have 20 gals of fresh fuel stored here at all times. While the Ford set-up may seem more ideal, as an engineer, I can tell you that unless you have a diesel engine; there is a huge down-side to idling a gas engine in a vehicle for hours at a time. Plus, some people here are touting the "30 gallon tank'. Well, if the power goes out in the neighborhood or city-wide, there is likely no power at the gas station...the pumps for water and sewage...etc. Nothing is a perfect solution. I have enough for every contingency for three weeks. Fortunately, here just North of Dallas, because I live in a hospital/medical/dental zone, we had no power outages (rolling or otherwise).”

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got 5.5 kw Generac sitting in my garage but I'm completely electric/battery powered with all of my yard/snow equipment. Gas doesn't store well any more. Did I buy the dumb truck for the genny? Heck no. But in a catastrophe it won't hurt to have. I bought the truck because it's a hybrid and I was bored looking at the Ram dashboard. ;)

hoodac78

Reaction score
Ok, it's now mine and the Ram is gone. I'm not going to bother calculate mpg until I get at least a couple of tanks through it. Every time you drive it the display comes up and summarizes the trip. Total miles, engine miles, electric miles and mpg for the trip. When you walk up to it, the courtesy lights come on and the power running boards deploy. It rides as smooth as my Ram. I think it's because the Ram had 22's and the F150 has 20's. I think the F150 Platinum seats are more comfortable. The Ram Limited still has nicer overall finish but it's dang close now. I do like the landscape 12" screen. I'm no audiophile by any means (70 y.o. ears that have been around a lot loud engines) so the two sound systems are comparable. I do like that you can set presets for siriusxm, fm and am all together. You don't have to change sources. And you can scroll forward and backward with the presets. I liked the Ram and I'm going to like this F150. There's nothing like the smell of a new truck. ;) View attachment 83373 View attachment 83372 View attachment 83371
Thats a sharp looking set of wheels man. Congrats and keep us posted!

PS: You are right.....new car/truck smell is the absolute best!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thoughts:

1. Nice looking truck!
2. New truck smell is pretty awesome even though it's just poisonous outgassing plastics.
3. I thought I would miss the shifter when I left my Nissan Titan after 15 years but I really like the huge console.
4. I'm always baffled why people buying $40-50-60k+ trucks even know or care what their MPG is. Unless you wanted to switch to a hybrid or an all-electric because you're an environmentalist (and even that's a specious argument, depending on how your electric was made not to mention all the carbon it took to build your new vehicle and ship it to you, but I digress), I just don't see the attraction for that kind of money. Even at a discount I can't really fathom what could make that truck $20k better than the Ram you just sold/traded.
4. Given your age I'm really baffled about the fuel economy thing, since you (like me, and you're older) remember a time when *no one* knew nor cared what their fuel economy was on their vehicle. To me, talking about fuel economy on a truck is like a fat guy going to McDonald's and ordering a Super Size Big Mac combo with a Diet Coke :D

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, even back when us dinosaurs were young, people still complained about fuel milage. Even at 0.25 a gallon. Early '60s when dad worked at a Studebaker Packard shop (that's OK if I just lost you kid) people would bring in a cer complaining about the poor mileage. He had a '62 Lark that got around 25 highway with the small V8. Of course the speed limit was a lot lower than now, and the roads a lot more curves.
But, given what the economy has done over the last 60 years, that 25 cents would be about what a gallon of gas costs now, so a 10% change in fuel mileage is still pretty big to some.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, even back when us dinosaurs were young, people still complained about fuel milage. Even at 0.25 a gallon. Early '60s when dad worked at a Studebaker Packard shop (that's OK if I just lost you kid) people would bring in a cer complaining about the poor mileage. He had a '62 Lark that got around 25 highway with the small V8. Of course the speed limit was a lot lower than now, and the roads a lot more curves.
But, given what the economy has done over the last 60 years, that 25 cents would be about what a gallon of gas costs now, so a 10% change in fuel mileage is still pretty big to some.
Ha! You didn't lose me on the Studebaker. When I was a kid no one ever talked about fuel economy. Maybe it is because I grew up in a city across the river from NYC and people just didn't drive as much - when we had a car, we only had 1 car. I know it got jack for fuel economy (old Plymouth Satellite) because it had a pretty hungry 318 in it.

I think more people notice fuel economy today because the spread between the best and worst is pretty significant. 50 years ago the best stuff got low 20's with the worst stuff below 10. That's a pretty small scale. Today the best stuff can get in the 60-70 mark (or infinity if you count full electric) while the worst stuff can still be down around 10-11 depending on the vehicle and how it's outfitted. People have got more used to hearing bigger numbers - 30, 40 - and so they lose perspective when they hear that their truck is "only" getting 15 MPG.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ha! You didn't lose me on the Studebaker. When I was a kid no one ever talked about fuel economy. Maybe it is because I grew up in a city across the river from NYC and people just didn't drive as much - when we had a car, we only had 1 car. I know it got jack for fuel economy (old Plymouth Satellite) because it had a pretty hungry 318 in it.

I think more people notice fuel economy today because the spread between the best and worst is pretty significant. 50 years ago the best stuff got low 20's with the worst stuff below 10. That's a pretty small scale. Today the best stuff can get in the 60-70 mark (or infinity if you count full electric) while the worst stuff can still be down around 10-11 depending on the vehicle and how it's outfitted. People have got more used to hearing bigger numbers - 30, 40 - and so they lose perspective when they hear that their truck is "only" getting 15 MPG.

True words.
BTW, my city MPG hovers in the 9-10 MPG range. I have a stupid-short commute, which is the reason for the abysmal mileage :O
While I would not recoup the money saved by getting a PowerBoost, since I don't drive that much, it is still on my list of vehicles to check out the next time I go shopping.

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I really don't care, or look at other peoples numbers. I get what I get with this truck, and when on long trips try to get the best I can within reason. I definitely don't try to hypermile it, but have gotten 25+ on a 500 mile, fortheheckofit trip with the wife around the Olympic Peninsula and down around Mt. Hood and back home. But it just is what it is and I accept it.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last year's F150 had a normal drop. I don't get why the decided to do that.
I'm going to venture a wild guess on why Ford is the first to reduce the amount of running board deployment 'drop'.
Last month I had my drivers side power running board ripped off in an automatic carwash. I had the bright idea to deploy them before going through and learned my lesson. If they'd been about 2" higher it wouldn't have happened. The Ram power running boards do come WAY down and WAY out. Take a good look next them they're deployed.
Plus it decreases deployment TIME.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I really don't care, or look at other peoples numbers. I get what I get with this truck, and when on long trips try to get the best I can within reason. I definitely don't try to hypermile it, but have gotten 25+ on a 500 mile, fortheheckofit trip with the wife around the Olympic Peninsula and down around Mt. Hood and back home. But it just is what it is and I accept it.
Those numbers are actually awesome. Best I ever got on the HWY was around 19.5 driving 70MPH. If I kept it at 55-60 perhaps I could do 22-23, but that would not be realistic.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those numbers are actually awesome. Best I ever got on the HWY was around 19.5 driving 70MPH. If I kept it at 55-60 perhaps I could do 22-23, but that would not be realistic.
I usually try to experiment with every vehicle I get to see what's the top end of the vehicle, but I just don't drive the Ram enough in good test conditions to make it worthwhile. If I'm not taking a load of crap to a jobsite I'm driving it into the office in the snow, or taking a long vacation trip where I am willing to trade several MPG for several hours of travel time!

RammyShand

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you (hmmmm second time writing this today). I have a 2019 Limited with 12500 miles and have been working with a few Ford dealers in the area on a 2021 F150 Limited Powerboost. Here are two reason why I am not pulling the trigger.

1. The discounts are horrible. Non-hybrids in my area are discounted up to $10K off without asking. Hybrids are discounted between $0 and $1500 off. No bueno for me!
2. March is Ford Truck Month and I expect the discounts to increase.

Last edited:

njt07

Reaction score
I was so close to getting the same trim . Main things that swayed me to my Ram, price, ramboxes, MFT and the night package.
I was very interested in the powerboost, 7.3kw gen, lay flat, massage seats, work surface. The lack of a night package is a bit off putting for me though.

Users who are viewing this thread