5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for trade the 2019 Limited

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm following my history over the last 20ish years. Looks like I'm buying a Platinum Powerboost F150 today. Verbally tied it up last evening. Couple of details to iron out this morning. I want to get a deal on a Ford branded Bakflip. Then I have to wait for the storm to end and get everything back to normal. It has max towing, panoroof and the 7.2kw Pro Power. That'll become my emergency whole house generator. Of course, it's black in and out.

Can't really complain about the Ram. It's been trouble-free. Why not get another Ram you ask? Because I want a real hybrid. I miss the Ecoboost power. And, the 2021 Ram is basically what I have now. Anyway, I'll post a pic once it happens. I'll not completely bail from here because if I stay healthy and all I'll replace the F150 with a Ram down the road. That is unless I go completely EV with the next truck.

slatersan

Reaction score
Have you had a load calculation done by an electrician to see what you actually need? That 7.3kw is going to get you about 60amps at 120 or around 30amps at 240. It's not much.

Good luck though. Might work fine.

jimchi

Reaction score
Have you had a load calculation done by an electrician to see what you actually need? That 7.3kw is going to get you about 60amps at 120 or around 30amps at 240. It's not much.

With gas heat and appliances, 7.3kW will be plenty for that size house. Just don't try running the A/C!
Also, @Jus Cruisin, I would double check to make sure that the F150 generator is a "true sine wave" inverter before plugging any sensitive electronics in (laptops, TVs, etc.).

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I ran my Florida home for a week at a time during the 5 hurricanes I lived through. I used a Generac 5500kw to run my house. Just couldn't run a/c but other than that we basically lived like normal in the house. I'm confident the F150 will work in a pinch.

slatersan

Reaction score
You got to my point. The A/C is the biggest concern. 7.3kw will run just about anything he has in the house, minus AC. The idea that it's a 'whole house generator' makes me think that he envisions being able to run lights, use the stove, keep the fridge/freezer running, wash and dry clothes, run the furnace, etc without prioritizing tasks as if he has normal electrical service.

Ford has introduced a cool concept, but i'm interested to see what it actually does when the rubber meets the road.

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm following my history over the last 20ish years. Looks like I'm buying a Platinum Powerboost F150 today. Verbally tied it up last evening. Couple of details to iron out this morning. I want to get a deal on a Ford branded Bakflip. Then I have to wait for the storm to end and get everything back to normal. It has max towing, panoroof and the 7.2kw Pro Power. That'll become my emergency whole house generator. Of course, it's black in and out.

Can't really complain about the Ram. It's been trouble-free. Why not get another Ram you ask? Because I want a real hybrid. I miss the Ecoboost power. And, the 2021 Ram is basically what I have now. Anyway, I'll post a pic once it happens. I'll not completely bail from here because if I stay healthy and all I'll replace the F150 with a Ram down the road. That is unless I go completely EV with the next truck.
Congratulations , I hope you do stick around as I’d like to hear about the Ford too .

hoodac78

Reaction score

Congrats! Sounds like a beauty of a truck! I admit that I too am curious about the Powerboost......when my Limited is done years from now, I'll be looking that way myself. Looking forward to seeing your pics and getting your thoughts after driving it more on a regular basis! Cheers!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck! I hope your new one gives you many trouble-free miles. I've never owned a Ford truck, but the one you're getting sounds interesting. I like the idea of it being a back-up generator.

For what it's worth, I was able to run my house almost normally on a 3.5KW generator when we lost power for three days a couple years ago. Gas furnace and water heater were a life-saver. Along with my Traeger grill/smoker. I just couldn't do any laundry. Good thing it only lasted for three days LOL.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ok then, you are the forum’s officially guinea pig test bed for that hybrid truck. 🤔👍🚚

We expect at least monthly updates, with all details (build quality, performance, hybrid details etc). You might as well make a YT channel about it!

Congrats, if you have the coin, might as well use it on something both fun and practical. Maybe this will kick RAM in the azz to do something similar... 🤔😗😆

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, one of the first posts I've seen of someone with a 5th gen Limited going to Ford.
I was a Ford guy (for decades) and unless they've done something amazing with their ride quality and interior finishes I think you're gonna really miss your RAM.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just for comparison, what was the walk out the door price on the Ram and what is it on the F150?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your hybrid point is a catching point for me as well. I know I need a truck this Summer but I also really want a hybrid, not just the 48V mild hybrid RAM offers but Ford interior just doesn't do it for me. I was very interested in the powerboost with 7.2KW onboard but RAM is still the winner in my book despite the fuel economy. If they could put out a hybrid for 2022, I may be forced to wait until that model comes out and win out with UConnect 5 as a bonus.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I dont know beans about electrical engineering but I wonder why a Prius like (or Volt/Leaf) battery couldnt be coupled with the hemi’s existing drivetrain... If Toyota does it with their Prius (gas and battery combination), whats the mystery?

jimchi

Reaction score
I dont know beans about electrical engineering but I wonder why a Prius like (or Volt/Leaf) battery couldnt be coupled with the hemi’s existing drivetrain... If Toyota does it with their Prius (gas and battery combination), whats the mystery?
That's what the Wrangler 4xe is, essentially

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That gen will do for the most part. RV parks only have 30/50 amp services, and that is all his trailer is rated for, so a 7300W will be fine. RV's are all 12 volt except for the dryer , air, and microwave and TV. Just don't try to run them all at once😜.

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I was planning to pick up the Platinum also. I sold my 2019 Ram private party but now I’m having second thoughts. I’m not big on chrome and Ford has no blackout package for limited or platinum. The lariat isn’t really at the level I want. Then, there’s no HUD option on F150. Also the B&O unleashed audio doesn’t sound as good as the H/K that was in my Ram. Lastly, I’m struggling with the sound of the ecoboost since I’m used to a V8. I’m on the fence now. I may wait until summer to see what coming out for 2022. I’m glad I’ve kept my old 03 Tundra all these years so I have something to get around in!

Users who are viewing this thread