5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for trade the 2019 Limited

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, one of the first posts I've seen of someone with a 5th gen Limited going to Ford.
I was a Ford guy (for decades) and unless they've done something amazing with their ride quality and interior finishes I think you're gonna really miss your RAM.
When I test drove the Platinum the ride quality was definitely better with my Ram. The F-150 still has leaf springs in the rear. I did here the Raptor changed over to rear coil springs for 2021 though.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's what the Wrangler 4xe is, essentially
(Begin copied portion of article)
"Not only is the 4xe just as well equipped to explore parts unknown as the regular Wrangler, it's actually more powerful. With one electric motor mounted at the front of the 4xe's turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four and another mounted at the front of its eight-speed automatic transmission, the hybrid Wrangler generates a combined 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque. Those figures exceed all of the lineup's nonhybrid engines, including the diesel 3.0-liter V-6 that develops 442 lb-ft. Even if Jeep actually builds the 450-hp V-8–powered Rubicon concept, the plug-in hybrid will still have an advantage of 20 lb-ft over the 6.4-liter Hemi.

Feeding the Wrangler 4xe's electric motors is a 17.0-kWh lithium-ion-nickel-manganese-cobalt battery pack, which is stored beneath the back seat and is accessible by simply flipping up the bottom cushion."

(End of copied portion of article)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramjeep

Reaction score
If RAM does not go HYBRID HEMI next go round it's def a Ford for me (it pains me to say this.) I know they tried this before with limited success but this is the only way I see going forward.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rather than doing multiple quotes.....

Again, I have gone back and forth with F150 and Ram for years. Both have plusses and minuses. The 2019 Ram interior is now the benchmark for all trucks. Will the F150 exceed it. No but this gen (#14) is really nice. I like the idea of the landscape 12" display. Sync 4 has very good reviews
The truck will be a rocket compared to the hemi. Why Ram wouldn't put a larger displacement engine in the truck is beyond me. I like the idea of running on the battery to go to a local restaurant and back. They claim 700 miles to a tank. We'll see how close it comes in real life driving.
The gearshift is for sure a minus on the F150. I have gotten used to the dial. I didn't use all of the console storage in the Ram so I won't miss that at all. I will be glad to get the keyless entry keypad back. I can't count the number of times I have wanted to open the truck for something in the driveway and the keys are on the kitchen counter. Here's the sticker for those interested. Bought X-plan plus $1,900 in rebates.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210215-123600_Drive~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-123600_Drive~2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 110

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If RAM does not go HYBRID HEMI next go round it's def a Ford for me (it pains me to say this.) I know they tried this before with limited success but this is the only way I see going forward.
HMPH!! Kids!! It aint a real truck unless it makes noise, burns dead dinosaurs, and can haul/pull/tote ANYTHING, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, and (here is the keyword) ANY DISTANCE, allthewhile smelling BBQ dinos.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
HMPH!! Kids!! It aint a real truck unless it makes noise, burns dead dinosaurs, and can haul/pull/tote ANYTHING, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, and (here is the keyword) ANY DISTANCE, allthewhile smelling BBQ dinos.
Last truck I remember that did that was my M35A1...
Truck, Cargo, 2½-ton, 6×6, M35
M35.jpg

RAM owners, tired of the wimpy payloads and low ground clearance of your 1500? Is the wife upset with your $70K price tag truck? Do you have trouble identifying your truck in the parking lot? Worried about getting through that 12" of snow? Forget the Rebel, get a real man's truck!
Here's your answer to all the doubters and haters:

M36A2 6x6 Cargo Truck $8,900.00
NSN #: 2320-00-077-1618
Features
  • LWB 2.5 Ton Military Truck / Deuce and a Half
  • LDT465 Multifuel Turbo (Whistler) Diesel Engine
  • 2-Speed Transfer Case
  • 18 Foot Cargo Bed (Side Rails, Headboard are not included)
  • power arm steering
  • 200' turning radius!
  • 1613510821372.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, it's now mine and the Ram is gone. I'm not going to bother calculate mpg until I get at least a couple of tanks through it. Every time you drive it the display comes up and summarizes the trip. Total miles, engine miles, electric miles and mpg for the trip. When you walk up to it, the courtesy lights come on and the power running boards deploy. It rides as smooth as my Ram. I think it's because the Ram had 22's and the F150 has 20's. I think the F150 Platinum seats are more comfortable. The Ram Limited still has nicer overall finish but it's dang close now. I do like the landscape 12" screen. I'm no audiophile by any means (70 y.o. ears that have been around a lot loud engines) so the two sound systems are comparable. I do like that you can set presets for siriusxm, fm and am all together. You don't have to change sources. And you can scroll forward and backward with the presets. I liked the Ram and I'm going to like this F150. There's nothing like the smell of a new truck. ;) 20210218_192244.jpg 20210220_123054.jpg 20210220_123105.jpg

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
She's a beaut, Clark!

The 22 to 20" wheel size probably has a lot to do with it. I personally have disliked the wheel / rim size increases over the last decade. It used to be 15" was the premium wheel size. They look good in ads to have big 22" wheels but with increased size comes increased unsprung weight and increased cost to replace and higher likelihood of bending a rim. sigh. I'd also prefer smaller just enough to clear the brake rotors is good enough for me.

I still prefer the RAM's interior but Ford did a great job with this one.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm following my history over the last 20ish years. Looks like I'm buying a Platinum Powerboost F150 today. Verbally tied it up last evening. Couple of details to iron out this morning. I want to get a deal on a Ford branded Bakflip. Then I have to wait for the storm to end and get everything back to normal. It has max towing, panoroof and the 7.2kw Pro Power. That'll become my emergency whole house generator. Of course, it's black in and out.

Can't really complain about the Ram. It's been trouble-free. Why not get another Ram you ask? Because I want a real hybrid. I miss the Ecoboost power. And, the 2021 Ram is basically what I have now. Anyway, I'll post a pic once it happens. I'll not completely bail from here because if I stay healthy and all I'll replace the F150 with a Ram down the road. That is unless I go completely EV with the next truck.
Awesome. I believe I mentioned this before, but I am looking at them as well. Check back and let us how you like it.

Cheers and good luck!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I forgot to mention. I don't like that the new F150 power running boards don't drop very much. It's a big step and a short step out of the truck. It's going to take a week or two to get used to.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I forgot to mention. I don't like that the new F150 power running boards don't drop very much. It's a big step and a short step out of the truck. It's going to take a week or two to get used to.
Ha! I noticed the same thing on my test drive a few months ago. I was trying to figure out why they felt weird, and realized that they drop about half as much as the RAM. RAM def wins in this category.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha! I noticed the same thing on my test drive a few months ago. I was trying to figure out why they felt weird, and realized that they drop about half as much as the RAM. RAM def wins in this category.
Last year's F150 had a normal drop. I don't get why the decided to do that.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'm definitely interested to hear your thoughts! I'm going to upgrade my '19 this fall for a '22 model from one of the big 3 and plan to check out the Platinum and Denali, as well as the 3/4 tons from all three (no *real* need for a 3/4 ton, mostly just because).

Right now the Platinum Powerboost is quite intriguing on paper, though I haven't test driven one yet.

Cudapower

Reaction score
Talked to a friend that has a new Ford with less than 10,000 miles on it. He pulled his camper to Texas and was in the storm. He lost power and water so he gassed up his Ford and put it on the trailer and let it idle for 2 days and nights to run the furnace and keep warm after the battery pooped out. He now says its so screwed up and carboned up that it doesnt have enough power to pull his camper. He is going to a dealer to either get it fixed or trade it again for something else so he can make it home. Good luck planning on using one of those for a house generator.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new truck. I had a 2016 Platinum and liked it for the most part. Please keep us updated on your ownership experience.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of people on Ford forums complained of the seat back tilt button being positioned so it gets hit easily (to move backrest backward) if you slide out of the seat. I experienced this a good number of times with my previous 2018. Looks like the lever is the same for 2021. Just looking at the console shifter makes me think of the wasted space vs RAM dial or a column shifter.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talked to a friend that has a new Ford with less than 10,000 miles on it. He pulled his camper to Texas and was in the storm. He lost power and water so he gassed up his Ford and put it on the trailer and let it idle for 2 days and nights to run the furnace and keep warm after the battery pooped out. He now says its so screwed up and carboned up that it doesnt have enough power to pull his camper. He is going to a dealer to either get it fixed or trade it again for something else so he can make it home. Good luck planning on using one of those for a house generator.
10,000 miles in 2 months is a lot of driving for your buddy. The trucks started hitting dealers in mid December. They don't "sit and idle" using the onboard generator/inverter the truck will start and stop on its own for demand. There are some keeping stuff running in their homes in Texas during this storm/cold snap.

Users who are viewing this thread