5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timber Grove bags leak down rate? is it normal?

vetto

Reaction score
Is it normal to lose 5-7psi overnight on Timber Grove airbags?
I just installed these bags and did a 100psi soapy-water leak check, and everything seemed fine (of course you cant check the air fitting on the top of the bag since it's inside the bumpstop cup.
After the leak check, I aired down to 7psi and went in the house for the day.
Next morning, checked the air and it read 0psi.

I just aired up to 75psi and started a timer so I can do measure a "leak-down" rate, but wondering what other's experience is with airbags.

Scoobyj

Reaction score
Most likely a leak in the connections somewhere. Those bags are very dependable.

vetto

Reaction score
Dang it.
Just checked and lost 5# in 2 1/2 hours, that is a problem in anyone's book.

Gonna have to pull em out and bench test them, then reinstall.

Thanks folks.

DOFF

Reaction score
I’ve had my bags on for about 4 months and towed multiple times with no leaks. Check the connections. Good luck

vetto

Reaction score
had a small scuff on the side of the line coming out of the top of the drivers side bag. Must have been too rough feeding it around before inserting it.
Cut if off clean and re-inserted it, hold pressure fine now.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
General info for anyone looking at this in the future, you can easily find pressure leaks by using spray nine or leak detector. Below is what I use for leak detector. It doesn’t foam up when spraying as much as spray nine or other diy methods, clings to vertical surfaces pretty well, and I use much less than when I use spray nine.

Oatey Leak Detector

vetto

Reaction score
had a small scuff on the side of the line coming out of the top of the drivers side bag. Must have been too rough feeding it around before inserting it.
Cut if off clean and re-inserted it, hold pressure fine now.
I spoke too soon.
Apparently it will hold pressure (20#, 75#, 80#) for days, but will NOT hold 7# for a few hours.
What the heck?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I spoke too soon.
Apparently it will hold pressure (20#, 75#, 80#) for days, but will NOT hold 7# for a few hours.
What the heck?
You need a more scientific approach if you are going to figure out a leak-down rate. You should use a a good gauge with digital or dial display that reads tenths, and use that same gauge for all readings. Then take readings every hour for however long you feel like doing it. You’ll see the leakdown rate.

Before any of that through, you should really do a bubble test of the system. Keep in mind you need to check your airline and rubber parts of bags also for fraying or pinhole leaks. So you’re checking everything.

vetto

Reaction score
You need a more scientific approach if you are going to figure out a leak-down rate. You should use a a good gauge with digital or dial display that reads tenths, and use that same gauge for all readings. Then take readings every hour for however long you feel like doing it. You’ll see the leakdown rate.

Before any of that through, you should really do a bubble test of the system. Keep in mind you need to check your airline and rubber parts of bags also for fraying or pinhole leaks. So you’re checking everything.
I agree. Im doing and have done all that. Im generalizing pressures here in the thread.
I'm trying to understand how it's possible to lose all pressure at 7# in half a day, and lose no pressure at 70# over three days.

Also, this kit is brand new. Waiting on answer from Timber Grove also.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could be a bad fitting or schrader valve. Higher pressure can seal on valves and fittings due to expansion. Lower pressure could not be enough to seal the fittings or valves.

vetto

Reaction score
UPDATE: everything still sucks.
I found the leak, it was the new bag. Rare, but it happens. (somewhere under the steel band that holds the bag to the mount plate.)
Steve at Timber Grove sent out another right away, didn't even need pics or the old one returned. GREAT service!

Saturday morning I installed the new bag, cut that hose end nice and square, inserted it, and bolted everything back up. Aired up the system to 75.0# and left it sit overnight.
Sunday morning, it was down to 60-something (don't remember exactly). Dang it. Fittings, right? Got to be fittings.

So Sunday afternoon, I pulled ALL the airlines, trimmed them all back to nice clean hose, reinserted them and leak checked at 90.0#. No leaks detected.
I aired down to 60.0# and let it sit overnight.

Monday morning, I checked and they were at 54.5#. WTH!
So I tossed a bicycle pump in the bed, aired down to 10.0# and drove to work.

Every time I have to pull these bags or even check the fitting at the top of the bag, it costs me around $20 in new hardware (removing the 12 upper mounting bolts through the hard stainless mounting plates boogers up the nut and bolt threads).
I am so frustrated with this.

So now Im thinking of my options. Keep chasing this leak? Go with Factory air? Sell the whole truck?
Does the dealer install factory air-ride on just the rear? or do I need the whole thing if I go that route?
Does the factory air-ride do what I am trying to do here (add "helper" springs to stabilize the coil-spring rear for heavy loads or tongue weight)?
How much will that run?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factory air replaces the springs and gives you air bags only on all 4 corners. They're not helper bags. Hate that you're going through this and can't find the leak. Do you have the bags combined on one line or separate? Asking because it may be easier to narrow down which one is leaking. I'm a big advocate for Timber Grove, my bags have been flawless for over a year. Have you checked/replaced the Schrader valve?

Last edited:

vetto

Reaction score
Factory air replaces the springs and gives you air bags only on all 4 corners. They're not helper bags. Hate that you're going through this and can't find the leak. Do you have the bags combined on one line or separate? Asking because it may be easier to narrow down which one is leaking. I'm a big advocate for Timber Grove, my bags have been flawless for over a year. Have to checked/replaced the Schrader valve?
Thanks for that. Guess I need to keep chasing this down.

Bag lines are "T"'d together, and out to one schrader valve.
For the purpose of troubleshooting, I could separate the bags to their own fill lines with seperate schrader valves. I'd have to order valves, couplers and a roll of airline I suppose.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE: everything still sucks.
I found the leak, it was the new bag. Rare, but it happens. (somewhere under the steel band that holds the bag to the mount plate.)
Steve at Timber Grove sent out another right away, didn't even need pics or the old one returned. GREAT service!

Saturday morning I installed the new bag, cut that hose end nice and square, inserted it, and bolted everything back up. Aired up the system to 75.0# and left it sit overnight.
Sunday morning, it was down to 60-something (don't remember exactly). Dang it. Fittings, right? Got to be fittings.

So Sunday afternoon, I pulled ALL the airlines, trimmed them all back to nice clean hose, reinserted them and leak checked at 90.0#. No leaks detected.
I aired down to 60.0# and let it sit overnight.

Monday morning, I checked and they were at 54.5#. WTH!
So I tossed a bicycle pump in the bed, aired down to 10.0# and drove to work.

Every time I have to pull these bags or even check the fitting at the top of the bag, it costs me around $20 in new hardware (removing the 12 upper mounting bolts through the hard stainless mounting plates boogers up the nut and bolt threads).
I am so frustrated with this.

So now Im thinking of my options. Keep chasing this leak? Go with Factory air? Sell the whole truck?
Does the dealer install factory air-ride on just the rear? or do I need the whole thing if I go that route?
Does the factory air-ride do what I am trying to do here (add "helper" springs to stabilize the coil-spring rear for heavy loads or tongue weight)?
How much will that run?
Where are you located?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Guess I need to keep chasing this down.

Bag lines are "T"'d together, and out to one schrader valve.
For the purpose of troubleshooting, I could separate the bags to their own fill lines with seperate schrader valves. I'd have to order valves, couplers and a roll of airline I suppose.
For testing purpose, I would just separate them, one line at the time. Take the "T" out and run the line directly to one bag and test it, on to the next bag. You'll find it.

vetto

Reaction score
For testing purpose, I would just separate them, one line at the time. Take the "T" out and run the line directly to one bag and test it, on to the next bag. You'll find it.
So 6 hours at 10#, holding fine. We will see how long this lasts.
If it holds for a few days, then I will try it at higher pressure again. Maybe it just didn't "seat" last night and the drive in this morning bumped a fitting into place? (totally wishing here, relying on magic).

The line coming out of the top of the bag is inaccessible with the bags installed.
So if it is still leaking down after tomorrow, I think I will take out the T, and put a seperate "push to connect" inflation valve on each bag's line.

Users who are viewing this thread