5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking of doom?

killerformula

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have the ram in my sig. about 22k miles.

I haven’t been driving it as much lately and it has been idle in the garage for maybe 2 weeks. I fired it up the other day to drive it, and noticed a rally distinct ticking coming dr the motor. Maybe drivers side. Lasted a good bit of time maybe 20 seconds.

Next time I fired it up the next day I didn’t hear anything. Makes me think it is not a manifold issue.

Is this normal after sitting for 2 weeks? Wonder if we have an emerging lifter issue here?

What should be my next steps?

Thanks all!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's "normal", it affects a ton of hemis. You can try running a different oil filter, one with a silicone anti drain back valve. Fram Ultra or Royal Purple are great filters.

This tick is not one to worry about. The tick that is worrisome is the one that stays around with a hot idle. If it goes away pretty fast when it's cold, it's either lifter bleed down (like it sounds like in your case) or broken manifold/manifold bolts.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My current ram...the start up ticking it's alot louder Than my previous hemi's (2020 Laramie, 2021 rebel with etorque).

But I just cough it up as normal.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

frisby5

Reaction score
My truck sits around alot ,sometimes a couple of weeks and it does that when starting up.

Users who are viewing this thread