5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking noise bad lifter?

Benning78

Reaction score
2018 1500 Ram 5.7 ticking noise noticed.
Is Ram doing anything about this since this is a wide spread issue as confirmed by many owners.
Just go on YouTube and see the amount of videos and comments.

Reaction score
My last ram (and the ones before it) had a ticking noise. I always heard it called the “Hemi tick”. At around 95k miles on my last ram I was at the dealership for an oil change and the service man told me it was the manifold gasket and it needed replaced. I didn’t do anything with it since it had been doing it for 90k miles already.

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
My wife got her Grand Cherokee w/Hemi from her sister when it had 60K on it.. it ticked (quietly). I thought it was just her sister's poor maintenance.
I got my Ram 3 months ago w/Hemi.. same exact noise.
Wife has 240K miles on it now.. same tick.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's just a characteristic hemi thing. Can be annoying if you don't have any other ambient noise. That's what 35's/mudders are for...

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What kind of tick are we talking about? See this thread here, I left a video (not my video) from youtube which you can clearly hear it ticking away, my truck sounds just like that and I'm also trying to track down what it is.

In my research so far, possible causes:
- exhaust manifold, the bolds shear off due to the use of binding two different metals together (which heat and contract differently); most common cause, very loud-ish
- lifters; some people recommend redline oil with high moly content and a better filter
- a poster on my thread above just mentioned water pump, I need to follow his suggestion and try that on mine

Users who are viewing this thread