5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking noise, 6000 Miles Hemi.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
get it to the dealer dont
leave unless
you get a loaner to use, your
under warranty id
say thats a bad lifter...

eOnkel

Reaction score
Truck is at the dealer since yesterday.

So far, no update, except: they are working on.....we will see....

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey,

I have an issue with my 2023 RAM 5.7 with 6000Miles...so, almost new I would say.

Last oil change by 3000 Miles.

I read a lot about the ticking by Hemi Engines and the cracked manifold. However, I understood, if the ticking noise will stop when the engine is warm its not the exhaust mainfold?

I linked a short clip, perhaps it helps to identify the issue. Sound comes - to my understanding - not from the top of the engine.

If anyone can identify / help identifying the issue - THX!!!

Marc

I just had my truck serviced today for this. My engine would tick very loudly upon cold start and the ticking would gradually come to a stop once the engine warms up. The problem was a cracked bolt on the driverside exhaust manifold which needed to be replaced. Total cost for repair was $889.00

eOnkel

Reaction score
Quick update.

The Ram is still with the dealer.

They changed all lifters (if I understood him correctly). By changing the lifters, they had to drain the cooling system and found a lot of stein(is that the correct spelling) in the system. obviously form the production/factory. It's now fully flushed and not an issue anymore - according to the technician. However, the noise /ticking is still there and they pushed another request to the RAM technical help line (if that is correct) to get advice from RAM how to continue with that issue.

I am really frustrated, this all should not happen with an 6 months / 6000 miles "old". truck.

Thx

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Quick update.

They changed all lifters (if I understood him correctly). By changing the lifters, they had to drain the cooling system and found a lot of stein(is that the correct spelling) in the system. obviously form the production/factory. It's now fully flushed and not an issue anymore - according to the technician. However, the noise /ticking is still there and they pushed another request to the RAM technical help line (if that is correct) to get advice from RAM how to continue with that issue.

I am really frustrated, this all should not happen with an 6 months / 6000 miles "old". truck.

I am quite new in US (from Germany) and serve here aside with my US comrades for NATO - means I am not familiar how to deal with this issues here in US.

Thx
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your truck, with luck it all gets sorted out soon.
Keep us posted and welcome to the USA.

U

User_3336

Check this out.
What's so special about REDLINE? Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum seems to have gotten rid of the cold start tap and ticking.. PUP is made from natural gas, not crude. Maybe that formula lubricates better? Who knows? I ain't no engineer. I just know my engine runs much smoother and quieter n ow.

As to the reference, the seafoam probably is a "temporary fix". and there were never any responses to that post.

eOnkel

Reaction score
Another update:

Star Hotline wants the dealer to run a borosocope and take internal pictures. These pictures then to be send to RAM to decide about the way ahead.

That was done yesterday, today no further info except that they are working on the case.

The RAM sits with the Dealer for more than one week....

Last edited:

SteveGG

Reaction score
Redline is made using PAO esters, a true synthetic base, unlike 95% of the so called Also is very high in Moly.
The formula seems to lube the cam/lifter well.

The cause of the dreaded tick has not been positively determined, but proper lube seems to help if the damage has not progressed beyond repair.

My "HEMI Tick Gone" post is what I did and it worked so far.

I, and many others, am now using Redline 5w 30 with good results.
The steps I used are in the "HEMI Tick Gone" post above. There are some steps I did besides the final switch to Redline 3w30 from 5w20.
Look at all the steps I've done.
So far 3K miles and the engine is butter smooth.
May or may not work for everyone with the tick.

If you try this, do not expect instant results. Usually takes 500+ miles before effect is noticed.

I just posted this in the hopes that it could help others.

Any comments or questions are welcome.

Steve

U

User_3336

Pennzoil Platinum/ Ultra Platinum is made from a natural gas base, so would one say that starts as a "synthetic base".
Redline superior?

Halfpint81

Reaction score
I feel
Quick update.

Thx
your pain my check engine light went on the first 300 km of my new truck 2024 ram. So went on a total of three times they ended up replacing the oil pressure valve but they also talked to the tech line as well because of course when I brought my truck in to get the repairs done the check engine light shut off lol. Anyway it was resolved in the end.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I feel

your pain my check engine light went on the first 300 km of my new truck 2024 ram. So went on a total of three times they ended up replacing the oil pressure valve but they also talked to the tech line as well because of course when I brought my truck in to get the repairs done the check engine light shut off lol. Anyway it was resolved in the end.
There would be a history in the ECM for the code, they should know what code was thrown.

Halfpint81

Reaction score
There would be a history in the ECM for the code, they should know what code was thrown.
They did see the code it was an engine issue but no tick so that’s why they went to the tech line to see how they should proceed, knock on wood the problem has been fixed

eOnkel

Reaction score
Another update:

Star Hotline decided to exchange the engine to a brandnew one.

Reason: The dirt / residue was not only in the engine coolant but in the whole engine and already damaged the cylinders and pistons. Obviously something went wrong during the production.....

I am satisfied, that they found it and RAM took responsibility and exchange the damaged engine under warranty.

keep you updated....

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Another update:

Star Hotline decided to exchange the engine to a brandnew one.

Reason: The dirt / residue was not only in the engine coolant but in the whole engine and already damaged the cylinders and pistons. Obviously something went wrong during the production.....

I am satisfied, that they found it and RAM took responsibility and exchange the damaged engine under warranty.

keep you updated....
Sweeeeet, I'm glad they'er taking care of you. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll accidentally install an SRT engine. ; ) You might want to change the oil and filter at 500 miles, treating it like a rebuilt engine and not a new assembled engine you'd get on the assembly line. Also ask techs about using 5W-20 vrs 0W-20. My neighbor just bought a 2024 Gladiator, and sure enough it labeled 0W-20 oil. I don't follow the jeep brand, but I'm willing to bet the V6 Pentestar engine was 5W-20, and if you go back to the years it was first introduced, it was 10W-30.

5thGenShadow

Reaction score
I’m having a massive tick noise also but just when it is warmed up, dropped it off at the dealership this AM, Just called to check on it, they said that they want to keep it overnight so they can do a cold star to figure out if it is the engine or an exhaust leak, even though i told them that when you hear it is when it is fully warm and when you accelerate it gets louder and when you go up a hill it gets louder than that. So it should be interesting to see what they come up with. Glad that everything worked out with your Ram!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online