5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking noise, 6000 Miles Hemi.

eOnkel

Reaction score
Hey,

I have an issue with my 2023 RAM 5.7 with 6000Miles...so, almost new I would say.

Last oil change by 3000 Miles.

I read a lot about the ticking by Hemi Engines and the cracked manifold. However, I understood, if the ticking noise will stop when the engine is warm its not the exhaust mainfold?

I linked a short clip, perhaps it helps to identify the issue. Sound comes - to my understanding - not from the top of the engine.

If anyone can identify / help identifying the issue - THX!!!

Marc

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What is your oil level? What brand, type, and weight oil did you use at the last change? No ticking on my 22. Changed oil at 2000 miles and 7500 miles. Currently at 14k and never any ticking or tapping even on ice cold startups.

eOnkel

Reaction score
What is your oil level? What brand, type, and weight oil did you use at the last change? No ticking on my 22. Changed oil at 2000 miles and 7500 miles. Currently at 14k and never any ticking or tapping even on ice cold startups.
Oil Level is to max. Oil was changed during the last service by the RAM Dealer here in VB. It's an 0w-20, don't know the brand.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oil Level is to max. Oil was changed during the last service by the RAM Dealer here in VB. It's an 0w-20, don't know the brand.
Sometimes you can see cracks on the manifold under the truck but I have never had the problem.
I know lots of people claim putting in thicker oil gets rid of the ticking noise if that's really what that is, but I suspect those people were just using subpar oil to begin with.
Probably best to just bring it to the dealership but if you wanted to try something cheap on your own I would do an oil change and put full syn 0w20 in. I have been using mobile 1 for the past 15 years and never had any problems. For this truck I use 0w20.
I have had the wrong oil put in my Silvarado at 500 miles from the selling dealership despite what's listed in the manual and on the oil cap so unless you know for sure what was put in with your own eyes meh.

Personally I would change the oil and see if I can avoid the dealership, would be a simple fix.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Isn't the viscosity supposed to be 5W-20? I don't like the new light oils recommended for the modern engines, so 5W-20 is the lightest I use. Check your oil cap, it shows the viscosity recommended.

eOnkel

Reaction score
THX for your answers.

I just doublecheked that. When the engine is cold, there is no ticking. It starts ticking when the engine is warm and is not going away, when going above 1500-2000rpm.

Yes an oilchange is of course an option, I will try it!

Thx

Marc

frisby5

Reaction score
Hey,

I have an issue with my 2023 RAM 5.7 with 6000Miles...so, almost new I would say.

Last oil change by 3000 Miles.

I read a lot about the ticking by Hemi Engines and the cracked manifold. However, I understood, if the ticking noise will stop when the engine is warm its not the exhaust mainfold?

I linked a short clip, perhaps it helps to identify the issue. Sound comes - to my understanding - not from the top of the engine.

If anyone can identify / help identifying the issue - THX!!!

Marc

That doesnt sound normal pretty loud , good thing you have a warranty. Mine was ticking slightly when i first bought it. I changed my oil at 1k added lubegaurd with Mobile 1, was looking for PPU but were out at the time. But mine has been good since .

eOnkel

Reaction score
That doesnt sound normal pretty loud , good thing you have a warranty. Mine was ticking slightly when i first bought it. I changed my oil at 1k added lubegaurd with Mobile 1, was looking for PPU but were out at the time. But mine has been good since .
May I ask: What is PPU? which mobile 1 did you use? That for trucks or the "normal" one? Thx!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Same engine, nothings changed except the idiots in the EPA. If it was mine it would be 5W-20, hell I’m thinking of 10W-30 in my 2020. So what’s changed in the engine that requires a different oil?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same engine, nothings changed except the idiots in the EPA. If it was mine it would be 5W-20, hell I’m thinking of 10W-30 in my 2020. So what’s changed in the engine that requires a different oil?
I run PUP 5w30 with lubegard. Used to run 5w20 with lubegard until 50K. Been running the 30 for 18K now and no 3 second cold slap at start up anymore.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I bought mine at 29K miles and I don't know what oil was used, but the records show dealers changed the oil. My first change with it was at @ 29K, and the dealer put in Duramax oil (It was on the invoice) and a cheap filter, needless to say thats the last time the dealer is doing mine. I like Valvoline synthetic so I use 5W-20 as the oil cap shows.

If I start the truck and shut it down before its warm and let it sit, the lifters tick for the first few seconds after restarting it. But as the OP's video plays, you can clearly hear it ticking loud, and the dealer needs to investigate it. This is my first gas engine truck since 2004, and I'm impressed with it, but the engine has a history of this. Most of the time its an exhaust leak, but as the truck warms up it should quieten down, and at 6K miles its too early for the exhaust to crack where they normally do causing the noise. Please update us on the dealer diagnosis.

eOnkel

Reaction score
ITHX for all the answers, very helpful for me.

I have tomorrow aftenoon an appointment to bring it in to the dealer.

We will see.....

Users who are viewing this thread