5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tick?

vtcats

Reaction score
If you wanted to you can check to see if you have a broken stud bolt by yourself. Make sure the truck is off course cold and sitting for a while. What ever side you hear it loudest on (or both). Reach in through the wheel well and pull on the the manifold shield and see if there is any give. This is how I was able to verify what side I had studs broken on and how many.
interesting. I was watching a video earlier today showing a guy (with a strong accent) replacing his manifolds. I’ll have to look again to get a better feel of where I can see the manifold shield. You are saying best access is through my wheel well? Does that mean I need to remove the tire to get to it?

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
interesting. I was watching a video earlier today showing a guy (with a strong accent) replacing his manifolds. I’ll have to look again to get a better feel of where I can see the manifold shield. You are saying best access is through my wheel well? Does that mean I need to remove the tire to get to it?
Here is a video I took before taking mine in for service. this is accessible with out removing tires and can reach past the UCA and give a slight tug on the shield to she were there is some give (broken stud)

vtcats

Reaction score
Here is a video I took before taking mine in for service. this is accessible with out removing tires and can reach past the UCA and give a slight tug on the shield to she were there is some give (broken stud)

Very helpful! I’ll look at this tomorrow and see what I can determine. Having said that, if this turned out to be as obvious as yours knowing the local dealership said, “no issue”, I would not be pleased.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very helpful! I’ll look at this tomorrow and see what I can determine. Having said that, if this turned out to be as obvious as yours knowing the local dealership said, “no issue”, I would not be pleased.
I will say I took my truck in for the transfer case and intermediate shaft and mentioned the ticking and they could not replicate. Later in the year in the winter the water pump took a crap and this time I had videos to take to the dealer and show. I did go to a different dealer my 2nd go around and the service tech helped out in a big way and got both my manifolds replaced and waved the labor for extraction on the broken studs. I will continue to take my truck to that dealer from now on!

Last edited:

vtcats

Reaction score
I will say I took my truck in for the transfer case and intermediate shaft and mentioned the ticking and they could not replicate. Later in the year in the winter the water pump took a crap and this time I had videos to take to the dealer and show. I did go to a different dealer my 2nd go around and the service tech helped out in a big way and got both my manifolds replaced and waved the labor for extraction on the broken studs. I will continue to take my truck to that dealer from now on!
Yeah, what’s bothering me is the desk service tech didn’t ask for my video to show the actual tech. If I was looking for something a customer is complaining about, I would first look at a video (if they took one) showing the issue before I checked it out myself.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, what’s bothering me is the desk service tech didn’t ask for my video to show the actual tech. If I was looking for something a customer is complaining about, I would first look at a video (if they took one) showing the issue before I checked it out myself.
Yea some stealer ships are better than others.

vtcats

Reaction score
So two issues/challenges I think. I started the truck this morning and recorded this. Definitely not the same tick, if at all as the one I made Saturday. Also, I had previously driven the truck Saturday maybe 3-5 miles max and upon arriving home when I first heard this. I’ll take it for a similar ride today to see if the sound comes back given I don’t hear it upon starting this morning, but I believe the dealership couldn’t reproduce this sound either so they were not going to take things apart. I also looked and pushed/pulled the shield on both sides as best I could and did not feel any movement. So the question is, WHY was it making that sound on Saturday and is it an issue?? I’m still going to call the other dealership to see if they will listen (given the first one didn’t even listen to what I taped). Here is the video from this morning

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So two issues/challenges I think. I started the truck this morning and recorded this. Definitely not the same tick, if at all as the one I made Saturday. Also, I had previously driven the truck Saturday maybe 3-5 miles max and upon arriving home when I first heard this. I’ll take it for a similar ride today to see if the sound comes back given I don’t hear it upon starting this morning, but I believe the dealership couldn’t reproduce this sound either so they were not going to take things apart. I also looked and pushed/pulled the shield on both sides as best I could and did not feel any movement. So the question is, WHY was it making that sound on Saturday and is it an issue?? I’m still going to call the other dealership to see if they will listen (given the first one didn’t even listen to what I taped). Here is the video from this morning
Honestly I dont think that’s a manifold leak i would possibly say that sounds normal

Here is my manifold leak sound (severe)

cerbo

Reaction score
I think the OPer is fine. Leave the oil in there a little longer, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread