5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle close delay after quick accel

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or not. When stabbing the throttle on and then off real quick (doesn't have to be full throttle), the truck will accelerate forward accordingly, but then, it seems like the truck keeps going for way longer than it's supposed to after my foot has been removed from the pedal, almost one or two full seconds, which is a lot. Seems to only happen in first gear, and in fact, I can get it to accelerate in first gear when manually selected without having my foot on the gas at all (after the first stab).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or not. When stabbing the throttle on and then off real quick (doesn't have to be full throttle), the truck will accelerate forward accordingly, but then, it seems like the truck keeps going for way longer than it's supposed to after my foot has been removed from the pedal, almost one or two full seconds, which is a lot. Seems to only happen in first gear, and in fact, I can get it to accelerate in first gear when manually selected without having my foot on the gas at all (after the first stab).
Yep. When I decide to ‘punch it’ but then change my mind, the revs will hang high for a bit.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. When I decide to ‘punch it’ but then change my mind, the revs will hang high for a bit.
Only a few times I’ve done this, to the tee actually . And same actions as speedy has said.
Odd really l, paid no attention as was only a few far between that I’ve done it.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have eTorque, not sure if that matters though. I know in my Tundra I could stab it and then let off and the motor would cut fuel immediately. With the Ram it's a solid "one Mississippi" or more before the fuel cuts off, and to me that's way too long.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No idea, not sure if it's a throttle close delay built into the pedal or if it's a fueling cutoff delay built into the pcm

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if it is just a mistake in programming, or if it is intentional, as an emissions thing.

I recall a number of cars in the 1970s/1980s that had their revs hang high for a wee bit when one came off throttle, and it had something to do with meeting emissions requirements, back when they were still learning how to get it right. Just thinking out loud. here, no basis in fact, just putting it out there as possibly an intentional thing so as to not overload the catalytic converter with a slug of unburned fuel.

chad202

Reaction score
I don't know if the Etorque makes a difference. I also have Etorque so seeing if it's just common to our engines.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And to clarify, it's not just going full throttle and then jumping off (although that is when this is most pronounced, and lasts the longest), but even pulling out of a parking lot at regular speed, if the truck is still in first gear, and I just started accelerating but someone decides to back out without looking, when I switch to the brakes I can feel the truck fighting them for a moment or two.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And to clarify, it's not just going full throttle and then jumping off (although that is when this is most pronounced, and lasts the longest), but even pulling out of a parking lot at regular speed, if the truck is still in first gear, and I just started accelerating but someone decides to back out without looking, when I switch to the brakes I can feel the truck fighting them for a moment or two.
Understood, as it behaves the same for me. As others may have stated, it appears to be a programming issue (for better or worse) designed to run the engine up through the full RPM range in low gears...even if the cycle is broken due to throttle reduction or braking. It could be a mistake, an "emissions thing", or by design (e.g. to protect engine, transmission, or torque converter). This hasn't caused me any trouble, but it is noticeable in specific situations.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I have the same issue. If I try to start out slowly ,for instance out of my driveway the pedal dosen't seem to echo the input and will surge. it is annoying.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Understood, as it behaves the same for me. As others may have stated, it appears to be a programming issue (for better or worse) designed to run the engine up through the full RPM range in low gears...even if the cycle is broken due to throttle reduction or braking. It could be a mistake, an "emissions thing", or by design (e.g. to protect engine, transmission, or torque converter). This hasn't caused me any trouble, but it is noticeable in specific situations.

Certainly could be an eTorque programming thing.

BlkLimited22s

Reaction score
It is an emissions thing. This was talked about years ago in the Challenger forum. I have a 2012 SRT 6.4 6 speed manual and it does the same thing.

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I experienced this yesterday for the first time. Really caught me offguard as I was pulling out into heavy traffic and changed my mind AFTER I started and my truck didn't agree with my decision. I had to hit the brakes to stop quickly.

Yes, I have eTorque.

SColang22

Reaction score
Its not an issue. Try it on any car and it will do the same thing. Completely normal

Users who are viewing this thread