5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Dealer Installed Michelins to replace stock 22" before shipping ?

AJ21

Reaction score
Hello, been nuts to get 2021 used Laramie deal done as it took a month since paperwork was signed. Needed a painter to get to the fender flare that was scratched. Finally ready, I asked dealer to CPO car which they did. However last two trucks I was close to purchasing, the dealer had replaced the lousy stock 22" Eagle Touring tires (those trucks had same or even slightly less miles than this car at 29K). One actually said in order to get CPO they had to. In any event I am now thinking I should just bite the bullet for convenience and have them replaced. I am in NE and winter is here, albeit no snow yet. I keep reading many on here replaced these stocks at that mileage or sooner and they wear quickly. Anyways, given the delay he offerred them to me at their dealer cost of $1250 installed balanced etc which seems reasonable (although I guess I just missed the deal by 3 get one 1 deal). I also won't have to deal with in when Truck gets here later in the week. Any thoughts?..... and if I am misplaced in my Defender LTX 285/45/22 thinking,lmk. I was between them and the Toyo AT3 but those are a fortune in that size I found? Mostly a family truckster but I am eyeing picking up a set of used 20" for future seasons, and getting an AT or winter tire, yet do hear LTX does well in snow as well. Many thanks! AJ

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello, been nuts to get 2021 used Laramie deal done as it took a month since paperwork was signed. Needed a painter to get to the fender flare that was scratched. Finally ready, I asked dealer to CPO car which they did. However last two trucks I was close to purchasing, the dealer had replaced the lousy stock 22" Eagle Touring tires (those trucks had same or even slightly less miles than this car at 29K). One actually said in order to get CPO they had to. In any event I am now thinking I should just bite the bullet for convenience and have them replaced. I am in NE and winter is here, albeit no snow yet. I keep reading many on here replaced these stocks at that mileage or sooner and they wear quickly. Anyways, given the delay he offerred them to me at their dealer cost of $1250 installed balanced etc which seems reasonable (although I guess I just missed the deal by 3 get one 1 deal). I also won't have to deal with in when Truck gets here later in the week. Any thoughts?..... and if I am misplaced in my Defender LTX 285/45/22 thinking,lmk. I was between them and the Toyo AT3 but those are a fortune in that size I found? Mostly a family truckster but I am eyeing picking up a set of used 20" for future seasons, and getting an AT or winter tire, yet do here LTX does well in snow as well. Many thanks! AJ
I installed the Defender's on my truck and LOVE them. Excellent tires. If you are going for looks, the AT3 is a great tire, but it's much heavier and will not handle as well on main roads. I wasn't going for looks when I started shopping, but safety, ride quality and low noise. I also look for great wet and dry traction on normally travelled city and highway roads. You will not go wrong with the Michelins! The OEM Goodyear tires really SUCK...never been a Goodyear fan at all:sick:

RJS

Reaction score
Hard to beat the Michelin Defender for all around roadability including wet and snow covered roads. Wear and handling are also excellent. It's all I've put on my cars and trucks over the last 15 years or so including my wife's cars.

I'm from Michigan so we get our share of snow and ice related driving. They are way better than the OEM ones that came on my 14 and 19 Ram 1500's

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to beat the Michelin Defender for all around roadability including wet and snow covered roads. Wear and handling are also excellent. It's all I've put on my cars and trucks over the last 15 years or so including my wife's cars.

I'm from Michigan so we get our share of snow and ice related driving. They are way better than the OEM ones that came on my 14 and 19 Ram 1500's
Exact same here.

AJ21

Reaction score
Fantastic. I pulled trigger on tires. It’s my first truck to be delivered Thursday! Peace of mind for the two young ones and hopefully for my first drive. Can’t believe I bought a truck online out of state. A real PIA but hopefully it shows up, works and is worth the effort. Thanks all !

AJ21

Reaction score
What PSI you guys running at particularly 22” ones? First drive was harsh (no plates yet) then noticed 44psi hoping that’s it. Thx

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/