5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts - DIY immobilizer button

tyromeo55

Reaction score
now that the thieves can hack your truck With a tablet I’m thinking about adding some sort of hidden disable button. The Knaack box screams “I have tools” so my worry is someone might want to try and steal my ride particularly for possible high value items they could peddle. Thinking about maybe intercepting the push to start butting and adding a secondary hidden one in series somewhere out of sight. You’d have to push both at the same time to start the truck but anyone trying to steal it wouldn’t now that.

What is everyone’s thoughts? In deep past I’d use the floor mounted high beam switch. Those don’t exist anymore

Doc33

Reaction score
I would be interested in this idea as well, maybe a hidden toggle switch that breaks power to the push to start button.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you do an outstanding job of concealing the wiring, you won't stop a professional car thief. Kill switches are the oldest low-tech trick in the book. That said, I had a professional low-tech solution installed in mine. It's called Ravelco. It disables the starter and fuel pump unless you have the security plug in. The wiring is installed way deep in the harnesses to the point that it would take a thief hours to defeat it.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add a switch somewhere inline with the fuel pump relay.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
Unless you do an outstanding job of concealing the wiring, you won't stop a professional car thief. Kill switches are the oldest low-tech trick in the book. That said, I had a professional low-tech solution installed in mine. It's called Ravelco. It disables the starter and fuel pump unless you have the security plug in. The wiring is installed way deep in the harnesses to the point that it would take a thief hours to defeat it.
I get your point but professional car thieves are not on my radar. Hopefully the big boys will opt for something a little nicer then my big horn

There is a new breed of theft where organized crime gives tech to young low level criminals. I think high tech smash and grab. They hack fobs to open tour door, start the engine and take off. Stellantis plant in MI has had multiple thefts from their yard. My thinking is that if I can make inhibitor wiring appear OEM at a glance then they would hopefully move on to greener pastures after a couple failed attempts. Add an AirTag deep in the dash covered in Tessa tape maybe.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
a wire toner will defeat a ravelco in seconds. doesn't matter how buried it is, it allows you to trace wires. How do you think they find them under roads and stuff?

Doc33

Reaction score
now that the thieves can hack your truck With a tablet I’m thinking about adding some sort of hidden disable button. The Knaack box screams “I have tools” so my worry is someone might want to try and steal my ride particularly for possible high value items they could peddle. Thinking about maybe intercepting the push to start butting and adding a secondary hidden one in series somewhere out of sight. You’d have to push both at the same time to start the truck but anyone trying to steal it wouldn’t now that.

What is everyone’s thoughts? In deep past I’d use the floor mounted high beam switch. Those don’t exist anymore
Did you come up with any ideas?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It wouldn't stop them from dragging it onto a flatbed

Mdwarchichoke

Reaction score
How about a fake OBD 2 port? Hide the real one further in the dash? Yes they can find it, but how long will they look fro it if you they wait 30 seconds and get a port communication error. Anyone seen something similiar yet. They stole my 18 CHevy LTZ that way or they dropped in their own ECM/TCM according to the police.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
a wire toner will defeat a ravelco in seconds. doesn't matter how buried it is, it allows you to trace wires. How do you think they find them under roads and stuff?
See post #5
I have a background in physical security and I can say with some authority that the vast majority of thieves are not going to lay under a dash with a toner and start tracing out wires. If they ever do I'll make sure to come here and eat crow =)
Did you come up with any ideas?
Its on my to-do-soon list. I'm self employed and got a couple jobs that have been keeping me going 7 days a week.

My initial thought is to use a small, semi flush, momentary button under the column find something under the dash I can intercept. Best case scenario is to find something that would give a crank and no start. Start attempt without the button causing the horn to engage would be a nice little trick too
It wouldn't stop them from dragging it onto a flatbed
True.... But come on. Every (dare I say most) trucks stolen are not put on a flat bed and hauled away. As I said in post #5 Im trying to address a specific type of crime with a simple solution.

Doc33

Reaction score
See post #5
I have a background in physical security and I can say with some authority that the vast majority of thieves are not going to lay under a dash with a toner and start tracing out wires. If they ever do I'll make sure to come here and eat crow =)

Its on my to-do-soon list. I'm self employed and got a couple jobs that have been keeping me going 7 days a week.

My initial thought is to use a small, semi flush, momentary button under the column find something under the dash I can intercept. Best case scenario is to find something that would give a crank and no start. Start attempt without the button causing the horn to engage would be a nice little trick too

True.... But come on. Every (dare I say most) trucks stolen are not put on a flat bed and hauled away. As I said in post #5 Im trying to address a specific type of crime with a simple solution.
Came up with my solution today and it works great, put a toggle switch in on the wiring that goes to the push button start switch. When toggle is activated there is no power to start button. Is it 100% effective....no but will definitely slow theif down and has to find toggle to get it started.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Came up with my solution today and it works great, put a toggle switch in on the wiring that goes to the push button start switch. When toggle is activated there is no power to start button. Is it 100% effective....no but will definitely slow thief down and has to find toggle to get it started.
I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring going to the start switch. What wire did you hookup the toggle switch too?

Doc33

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring going to the start switch. What wire did you hookup the toggle switch too?
There are 4 wires going into the back of the push button switch, spliced into the red wire. Just remember to pull the fuse(f24) prior to working on it.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
Ya know...

another thought (if even possible) locate a wire behind the rotary shifter that controls the interlock to put it into drive. I don't think I care if the truck starts as long as it cant move.

HitmanHugh

Reaction score
Came up with my solution today and it works great, put a toggle switch in on the wiring that goes to the push button start switch. When toggle is activated there is no power to start button. Is it 100% effective....no but will definitely slow theif down and has to find toggle to get it started.
No pics? For shame.

Doc33

Reaction score
That's something you don't broadcast for all too see.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Thanks' Doc33! I will definitely be doing this. I've been wanting to put a kill switch in my truck for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/