5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those with bed covers...?

VanillaGoorilla

Reaction score
Anyone notice fuel mileage increase with theirs? Asking because that’s about the only reason I’d pick one over a tool box... thanks you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skater

Reaction score
I have had a tonneau on every truck I have ever owned (4 is that number) and I have never noticed a fuel mileage increase. All of the aerodynamic studies I have read indicate there is a clear and distinct increase in milage from smoother airflow by a reduction in drag which would have been caused by turbulence from air swirling over the cab and down into the bed, but my wallet has never felt it. I just like they way they look and that I can leave my sticks overnight and not worry about someone taking my Ping driver and leaving my used golf gloves.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never noticed a MPG increase either. Owned one on every truck I've owned as well (5 now), not counting my 2013 Ram 1500 that I owned for about 3 months before it was totaled.
Some studies say it should increase, others say it will actually decrease very slightly, as the carmakers design the aerodynamics with the bed in mind, so "altering" the aerodynamics by adding the cover can affect the airflow negatively.

Regardless, the changes are so small, the savings (or extra cost) in gas rarely adds up to much, if ever. If there are any savings at all, it will most likely never make up the cost of any decent cover. I use it more for making sure my loads are secure in the bed without strapping them down too much.

I was going to drop some coin on a nicer cover this go-around then I normally do, but the Black Appearance Group on 2020s comes with the Mopar tri-cover, which has treated me well so far.

Skater

Reaction score
I've never noticed a MPG increase either. Owned one on every truck I've owned as well (5 now), not counting my 2013 Ram 1500 that I owned for about 3 months before it was totaled.
Some studies say it should increase, others say it will actually decrease very slightly, as the carmakers design the aerodynamics with the bed in mind, so "altering" the aerodynamics by adding the cover can affect the airflow negatively.

Regardless, the changes are so small, the savings (or extra cost) in gas rarely adds up to much, if ever. If there are any savings at all, it will most likely never make up the cost of any decent cover. I use it more for making sure my loads are secure in the bed without strapping them down too much.

I was going to drop some coin on a nicer cover this go-around then I normally do, but the Black Appearance Group on 2020s comes with the Mopar tri-cover, which has treated me well so far.
The annoying sound of the OEM tonneau being buffeted by wind with the rear slide open (sounds like rain to me) does not bother you? I removed the OEM tonneau from the Black Appearance Package as soon as I ordered the WeatherTech. I still have the OEM tri-fold in a box in the garage. I didn't think anyone would want it. Maybe I should sell it on here since I will never put it back on.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The annoying sound of the OEM tonneau being buffeted by wind with the rear slide open (sounds like rain to me) does not bother you? I removed the OEM tonneau from the Black Appearance Package as soon as I ordered the WeatherTech. I still have the OEM tri-fold in a box in the garage. I didn't to think anyone would want it. Maybe I should sell it on here since I will never put it back on.

I rarely have the rear slider open, so maybe thats why. I frequently have the sunroof open (in the summer), and also the rear windows so the dog can stick his head out, but not usually the slider. Unless the wind is really high, I don't hear the cover in the cab, even with the rear windows down.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Do those of you with tonneau covers that go off-road, do you notice if they come loose easily from all the jiggling.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do those of you with tonneau covers that go off-road, do you notice if they come loose easily from all the jiggling.

Ive driven a lot of logging roads with the oem cover installed and have had no issues with it moving around. It uses spring loaded clamps to hold it down, they could use a bit more tension to seal the tonneau better but work good.

tonka146

Reaction score
nope, no fuel increase. i want to say mythbusters did an episode also to show that they didnt do anything as well

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same as the other reply, my cover has never shifted once. 100 mph, or off-road on bumps. Just have to make sure you lock it down tight enough. Most covers also come with "emergency clamps" that have more bite than the other 4 clamps.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone notice fuel mileage increase with theirs? Asking because that’s about the only reason I’d pick one over a tool box... thanks you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly...1 mpg increase on highway. But more than that... You don't feel any wind with a tonneau cover on.

Skater

Reaction score
Yep, I remember that episode. Literally no diff either way.
I never saw that episode, or at least I do not remember it if I did; however, I do remember an episode of MythBusters concerning fuel milage on trucks and removing the tailgate to increase air flow through the bed, which if memory serves me showed that removing the tailgate actually caused a decrease in fuel milage, not an increase due to the vortex (created by the tailgate) being lost in the bed causing increased drag.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never saw that episode, or at least I do not remember it if I did; however, I do remember an episode of MythBusters concerning fuel milage on trucks and removing the tailgate to increase air flow through the bed, which if memory serves me showed that removing the tailgate actually caused a decrease in fuel milage, not an increase due to the vortex (created by the tailgate) being lost in the bed causing increased drag.
This.
Although adding a concert and removing the tailgate are VERY different things. I remember a guy on here a while back kept arguing with me about how him driving with his tailgate down made his Ram faster and get better MPGs lmao!

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
Idk if it helps mpg(current 18.3) but I keep all my tailgating, camping & beach gear in there ,ready

Wsmith

Reaction score
This is what myth busters did, to the best of my knowledge they tested only with tailgate down, not a tonneau cover.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
I'm no scientist but if you had snow in the bed you can see the effects of the wind in the bed. A tonneau cover has to be somewhat effective, even if it is minimal

jabara572

Reaction score
I was checking mine very carefully before and after and did convince myself i had picked up a very small bit of mpg. 1/2 a mpg is probably generous, but it certainly didnt hurt it any.

You can look up the research papers that used actual wind tunnels and they absolutely do reduce drag, just doesnt make a huge real world difference.

With that being said, there is a reason the RAM HFE came with a bed cover, they even had particular side steps b/c it improved aero around the sides. Not to mention having a nice hard covered bed is priceless IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread