5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of trading 15' F150 3.5 ecoboost for a new Ram 1500! What say you?

Brooksrandy81

Reaction score
Hey guys/girls

My wife and I have been looking at Rams specifically 2019 lariat new style black or white with sport pack or black package with hemi , advance safety group, level 2 equipment, 392s and brake controller for towing, 22x9 wheels .

Our 3.5 ecobeast is a really good towing truck ! Does anyone have anything to add or that i should be looking for? You guys have real life towing reviews or pros or cons?thanks in advance

RANDY

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram doesn't make the lariat. That's a Ford product. I think you mean the Laramie.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
I would say go to the dealership and test drive a ram truck and if you like it, then you have your answer. It's clear that you are curious, so just test drive them and see how you like it. Hell do what I did and test drive them at different dealerships, that's what I did.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mentioned towing a couple times, can you be more specific as to what and the frequency?

mjw930

Reaction score
I just traded my 2017 F-150 super crew with the 3.5l eco boost and 10 speed on a Big Horn Black Crew and couldn’t be happier. The single biggest reason I traded was how poorly the Ford towed my 16’ enclosed (6000 lbs, weight distributing hitch, 20’ total length) and 22’ Talon SS Boat (3000 lb dual axle with surge brakes, 30’ long total length). I had upgraded the suspension, added a sway bar and did just about all I could but it simply didn’t track down the road or handle rough pavement as well as my 2014 Ram. The Ford has plenty of power, the 3.5L with almost 470 lb ft of torque and 10 speed rarely broke a sweat but the suspension on the Ford was abysmal.

One option I refused to do without was the 4-Corner air, it raises the bar on how well the new truck tows. It barely knows the boat is hooked up and it handles the WD hitch on the fully loaded enclosed trailer with ease. Just set the hitch up as per the manual then the 4-Corner air kicks in and adds just the right amount of rear spring rate to make it a very comfortable ride.

Do yourself a favor and test drive the same truck with and without the 4-Corner air, you will be shocked at the difference.

19Jake

Reaction score
RAM's the truck to own...incredible interior w/12" display (y)
Ford's fading fast...5 model years & counting :poop:
IMG_2610.JPG

Last edited:

Horkn

Reaction score
Ram doesn't make the lariat. That's a Ford product. I think you mean the Laramie.

Laramie, or Laramie longhorn would be the two choices that could compare to the lariat.

There's trade-offs in both the Ford and the ram. The 3.92's in the ram do tow well, but mpg is not what they advertise it to be in real world. Granted, an ecoboost always in the boost towing big stuff isn't going to get the mpg it will when unloaded either. They do tow well though.

Here's what car and driver just said about all 3 of the new loaded pickups. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-high-country-comparison

There's several reviews by different news companies of these same 3 trucks towing. While the ram is universally regarded to have the best interior, all the reviews show that the hemi even with 3.92 gears is not as quick as it would appear to be, when actually measured. The ram does weigh the most, which surely dues have something to do with it, but the axle ratio is the highest on the ram with available 3.92. the highest Ford is 3.73, but it has 2 more gears. The 6.2 gm looks to only have a 3.42 or 3.23 axle ratios, which tells me that the GM's are not designed to do the big towing. They probably want to have a reason for people to want the ugly mug of the 2020 HD GM's.;)
Personally, the 5.0, v8 now with direct and port injection, and the 10 spd auto looks like a better all around engine than the 3.5 ecoboost, for less money, including towing heavy things.

As a Senior Corporate Buyer, I weigh all the pros and cons. No one vehicle will trip all the switches. So you have to determine what does it for you, and what you value more. The interior, and the fresh exterior of the ram is hard to ignore.

At the end of the day, but what makes you happy.

Horkn

Reaction score
FWIW, my 14 Ram 5.7 with 3.92s got 1 mpg better all around than my 11 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost with 3.55s.

I believe that. Mind you that the 2011 F-150 had a 6 spd auto. You had an 8 spd in your 2014 ram. I also see that 2019 Rams with 3.92's and hemi are not getting the mpg that 4th gen Rams with the 3.92 and hemi are/ were.

Brooksrandy81

Reaction score
hahaha leave it to my Ford toting ****! To refer to it is a Lariat when I know its a Laramie. If it handles and tows similar to my Max Tow f150 Ecoboost its should be fine. The interior really draws us to the new RAM and I don't want to go backwards in towing capacity . I guess normally I would be towing a 6000 lb boat when loaded with fuel gear etc and my wife has a Horse Trailer that may tip the scales at 7700-8000 lbs when loaded. I would add a hideaway gooseneck hitch in the Ram bed like we did the ford.

Another question specific to the e lock, and antislip Diff. Im currently looking at 4x4 models one has listed the anti spin Diff and the other does not list anything in reference to differential. So im assuming it doesn't have any kind of locker?
Thanks for the replies you guys!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're asking this question on a Ram forum. What kind of answers would you expect? :unsure:

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe that. Mind you that the 2011 F-150 had a 6 spd auto. You had an 8 spd in your 2014 ram. I also see that 2019 Rams with 3.92's and hemi are not getting the mpg that 4th gen Rams with the 3.92 and hemi are/ were.

True but theae Trucks aren’t even broken in yet. Many members are posting their results with less than 5k on their trucks, some even less than 1k.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 7,000lb boat. I've had a 14 F150 3.5, 16 F150 2.7 and now the 19 Ram. Hands down, the Ram.

The 2.7 was the best of gas and the quickest of all 3, but overall my favorite is the Ram. Get the anti spin rear differential and you'll be set. I ordered my Ram with 3.21s and it tows the boat just fine.

Brooksrandy81

Reaction score
I tow a 7,000lb boat. I've had a 14 F150 3.5, 16 F150 2.7 and now the 19 Ram. Hands down, the Ram.

The 2.7 was the best of gas and the quickest of all 3, but overall my favorite is the Ram. Get the anti spin rear differential and you'll be set. I ordered my Ram with 3.21s and it tows the boat just fine.

Thanks! I should be really set with 392s and a Anti spin DIFF! I will miss my E locker on the F150 coming out of steep wet boat ramps!

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I should be really set with 392s and a Anti spin DIFF! I will miss my E locker on the F150 coming out of steep wet boat ramps!

I didn't use my e locker once on either F150. I went back and forth on the 3.92s but stuck with the 3.21s for better mileage but I've heard either will work. You'll love the Ram.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys/girls

My wife and I have been looking at Rams specifically 2019 lariat new style black or white with sport pack or black package with hemi , advance safety group, level 2 equipment, 392s and brake controller for towing, 22x9 wheels .

Our 3.5 ecobeast is a really good towing truck ! Does anyone have anything to add or that i should be looking for? You guys have real life towing reviews or pros or cons?thanks in advance

RANDY
Make sure you get the 33 gallon tank if possible. You will never regret it!

Users who are viewing this thread