5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about switching to RAM -objective opinions.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gears.

The mileage is abysmal. I know it isn't a Prius, but its gets the worst mileage of every truck I've owned. ..... ..... I saw low to mid 20's in the MPGs on the highway with a F150 with the 3.5 and the Silverado with the 5.0. My combined average in the F150 was 18. The Ram drinks about 15 more gallons of fuel per month than my F150. In total, the Ram costs me about $55 more a month for fuel than my F150s and Silverados did (about $45 more if I used 87 octane, but I use the recommended 89 octane).
The reason your fuel mileage is abysmal is because you have V8 with 3.92's at 80 MPH. The gears are going to have you running much higher rpm's than a truck with something like 3.21's or 3.55's, and a 5.7L is going to burn a lot more fuel than a 3.5L running the same rpms. Those gears and a turbo V6 are great for efficiency, but they suck for low end torque. Unfortunately there's no magic combo that works fore every condition. You just gotta pick the one that's best for you and accept the short comings along with the perks.

As for the fuel. 89 is "recommended" not required. They say to use 89 for "optimal" performance. It can, and will, run 87 just fine. I ran 89 briefly but I've been running 87 for the last couple fills and I haven't noticed any lack of performance. Although, like you I'm driving Ms. Daisy, so there's no spirited acceleration. When I plan on towing or hauling heavy loads I'll probably run 89, but I have no justification for the added $0.50 per gallon for regular driving.

The Ram tows ok. The rear coils sag more than the F150s and Silverados I've had. The back end isn't as stable. ....
I don't four wheel the Ram, but I'll drive dirt roads to trailheads. The front end bottoms out fast. ....
This is because they design the suspension for comfort. That comes at a cost. It'll absorb rough roads easier, but that makes it sag much quicker than a firm spring. Much like gears/engine it's a pick your poison kind of thing. Either a smooth ride, or a work horse. FWIW, you can easily swap out the struts and springs for a firmer set to have a more F150 type ride (and load handling).

.... To me, the F150 is a truck and I miss that. Ram may have found a new market in crossover trucks with the 2019+ 1500.
Yeah, the F150 does feel more "truck" like. A little more rough and rugged. Less refined, and more ready to work. Although if I'm looking for a work truck I'd probably get a 2500/F250 instead of a 1500/F150 anyway. The light duty truck is transportation, that can do some work. And there's no mistaking, these will do some work even if they sag a little in the process. A set of air bags for $100 makes a big difference too.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly say it's misleading. I know it was three different truck models that won the three years in a row, but it tells me that Ram is doing something right overall. Yes, the TRX is definitely its own animal.
Sorry, I know I quoted you, but I didn't mean to singly you out. What I meant by misleading is when the truck of the year thing is mentioned, implying that it was the 1500 that won three times. People who aren't "in the know" might take that the wrong way and think it's the 1500 that won all three years. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Red Cat

Reaction score
I remember my 6.4 2500 with a couple inches of lift and 37s would get 10MPG in the winter. So if I can see 15 city and even close to 20 highway with my 3.92 offroad package ordered truck I will be very happy lol. Planning on leaving the truck mostly stock. If anything I'll do a slightly taller tire when the OEMs wear out.

Even with the 1500's, if you set the cruise over 75 mph your fuel economy will plummet. These are not aerodynamic vehicles. As boring as it may be the sweet spot for the best chance of acceptable MPGs I have found is between 68 - 72 mph. As said above, 3.92s are already hurting you right out of the gate on the highway.

Goldsy

Reaction score
Sorry, I know I quoted you, but I didn't mean to singly you out. What I meant by misleading is when the truck of the year thing is mentioned, implying that it was the 1500 that won three times. People who aren't "in the know" might take that the wrong way and think it's the 1500 that won all three years. I just wanted to set the record straight.
All good. I didn’t feel like you were singling me out.

Goldsy

Reaction score
Yeah, the 3.92 isn’t a great highway gear. 8th gear is the same at 7th on the 3.21.
My dealership had both options on the lot. I didn’t need that extra 4000lb tow capacity. My travel trailer weighs 5500lbs and might move 1000 miles a year. The 3.21 just made more economical sense to me, since the truck is also my daily driver. I’m pretty much maxed on my payload now with 2 people, my dog and a 700lb tongue weight. My max payload is 1190lbs. Even if my trailer weighed 4000lbs and I had the 3.92 gears, I wouldn’t be able to haul it anyway because of the payload limits. All the toys on the Limited are heavy!

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.... So if I can see 15 city and even close to 20 highway with my 3.92 offroad package ordered truck I will be very happy lol. ....
Well then you're going to be happy. I average 16.8 in the city running 87 octane which is allegedly less efficient. I've also got 2" level and slightly larger tires (and yes 3.92's). I've only taken 1 road trip with it and I was getting roughly 20 on the highway so I think you'll get the numbers you're looking for to be "very happy."

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Well then you're going to be happy. I average 16.8 in the city running 87 octane which is allegedly less efficient. I've also got 2" level and slightly larger tires (and yes 3.92's). I've only taken 1 road trip with it and I was getting roughly 20 on the highway so I think you'll get the numbers you're looking for to be "very happy."
Similar fuel mileage here on stock wheels, stock suspension, and the 3.92 rear end in our 2021 Laramie.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep, I'm getting the same mileage with my truck. Stats in my signature.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Follow up, will the 3L turbo tow just fine or do I need the 5.7. I am towing a 3000 lb enclosed cargo trailer (4K with gear). I know the Ford twin turbos have a lot of overheating issues when towing.

breeno

Reaction score
I bought a 21 Rebel a couple months ago and I always looking forward to driving this truck.
It pushes all the right buttons for me. I've done some modest off-roading in it (primary reason for the Rebel trim) and it surprised me as being quite capable. I also own a 19 Wrangler Rubicon which gets used for more serious off-roading.

Like many here, I've owned the big three (F350 DRW, Chevy 1/2 and a '17 RAM) along with two Tundras.

I went looking to buy a F150 - but the price differential and that insanely great interior and ride quality of the RAM won me over.
Yes, the mileage sucks (3.92s + 33s, as expected) but with the 33 gallon tank, I really don't care as the range is solid.

Haven't towed with it yet but I can't imagine it can't tow as well of my previous 1/2 tons for what I'm looking to do (4-6k trailer at most).
If I was towing something substantial I would get another 1 ton truck (oh how I loved that F350, one of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned) as nothing beats the headroom and effortless towing you get with a HD truck, imo.

I think RAM has really nailed the bang-for-buck equation - and their interiors are just outstanding.
And being the shallow dude that I am - I just freaking love that Hemi sound!

CO2

Reaction score
So I was in a similar boat as you a few months ago. I wanted a new V8 half ton. I have only bough Ford previously when it came to trucks. After looking at the 2021's from the big three, I bought the first Dodge/ Chrysler vehicle in my life- a Rebel 5.7 eTorque. (I actually tried to find one without the eTorque that met all my other wants, but no luck).

For me, the pro's and con's lined up like this:

Ford- Pro's; I always bought Ford in the past. Solid reliability in my past experience. Easy handling- they drive "smaller" than they are.
Con's; For me, the biggest was all the aluminum. They are more difficult/ expensive to repair. Every body shop repairs steel. Not so with aluminum, and my paintless dent removal guy says aluminum dents are less repairable with that method, and i seem to pick up alot of these. Biggest V8 is a 302. Styling is bland / dated in my personal opinion.
In the end, this was my second choice.
GM- Pro's; I personally like the styling- especially trail boss and AT4 trims. Bigger V8 than Ford. More steel than Ford.
Con's; Inferior crash test to the others with a "marginal" in passenger front overlap collision. No 33 gallon fuel tank. Their version of the locking real diff is not a traditional locker. All deal killers to me.
RAM- Pro's; All steel- except hood and tailgate. ( I love me some steel!) I personally really like the exterior styling, and the interior is indisputably top of the class. 5.7 Hemi, of course. Best brakes in the class. 14.9" fronts are over an inch bigger than next best (ford). Really nice ride comfort. IIHS "Top Pick" for crash safety- best in class.
Con's; Not great MPG, eTorque long term reliability is still a question, drives a bit "bigger" than the others half tons, need to be careful in selecting- my tow mirror 'upgrade' cost me some features i expected to have.

After owning it for a few months, I can honestly say I am very happy with my choice. I always look forward to driving it and I have had zero problems.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mmcbeat

Reaction score
So I was in a similar boat as you a few months ago. I wanted a new V8 half ton. I have only bough Ford previously when it came to trucks. After looking at the 2021's from the big three, I bought the first Dodge/ Chrysler vehicle in my life- a Rebel 5.7 eTorque. (I actually tried to find one without the eTorque that met all my other wants, but no luck).

For me, the pro's and con's lined up like this:

Ford- Pro's; I always bought Ford in the past. Solid reliability in my past experience. Easy handling- they drive "smaller" than they are.
Con's; For me, the biggest was all the aluminum. They are more difficult/ expensive to repair. Every body shop repairs steel. Not so with aluminum, and my paintless dent removal guy says aluminum dents are less repairable with that method, and i seem to pick up alot of these. Biggest V8 is a 302. Styling is bland / dated in my personal opinion. In the end, this was my second choice.
GM- Pro's; I personally like the styling- especially trail boss and AT4 trims. Bigger V8 than Ford. More steel than Ford.
Con's; Inferior crash test to the others with a "marginal" in passenger front overlap collision. No 33 gallon fuel tank. Their version of the locking real diff is not a traditional locker. All deal killers to me.
RAM- Pro's; All steel ( I love me some steel!) I personally really like the exterior styling, and the interior is indisputably top of the class. 5.7 Hemi, of course. Best brakes in the class. 14.9" fronts are over an inch bigger than next best (ford). Really nice ride comfort. IIHS "Top Pick" for crash safety- best in class.
Con's; Not great MPG, eTorque long term reliability is still a question, drives a bit "bigger" than the others half tons, need to be careful in selecting- my tow mirror 'upgrade' cost me some features i expected to have.

After owning it for a few months, I can honestly say I am very happy with my choice. I always look forward to driving it and I have had zero problems.

Hope this helps.
Good post. I like my Ram as well. Regarding aluminum body parts, the Ram has an aluminum hood and tailgate.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Also GM rear is a locker. The g80 has been around for years and works very well.

My ram rear feels the same once both tires grab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO2

Reaction score
Also GM rear is a locker. The g80 has been around for years and works very well.

My ram rear feels the same once both tires grab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For clarity, I was saying that the G80 is not the same as a true selectable locker. It is a so-called "automatic locker" that "locks and unlocks" based on its specified conditions, including wheel spin difference (120rpm), max speed (20mph), etc. It locks by use of friction plates, like a very tight limited slip, rather than teeth in a traditional selectable locker. It behaves differently from a selectable locker that the driver chooses when to lock and unlock. Which is best depends on the wants of the user. For me a selectable locker is a "must have". Here is a short comparison, although he doesn't explain all the lock/ unlock conditions of the G80:

Here is a video explaining the function of the G80:

Users who are viewing this thread