5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about switching to RAM -objective opinions.

DTN

Reaction score
I bought the 2021 Ram because my last truck that I traded in was a 2003 Ram I bought new and it was best truck I ever owned. I never had any significant issues with that truck other than normal wear and tear stuff. So far my new 2021 is great and just what I expected. Actually my last truck was a 2500 and I tow boats are heavy trailers often where I need that HD towing capability. The new truck is a 1500 but has more towing capability that meets my needs than the 1500 in 2003 where I had to buy the 2500. So I get a smoother ride with better gas mileage now.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a Chevy guy first and Dodge 2nd. I owned a 2006 Silverado Z71 until 2017. I loved that truck and had no major issues for 165k miles. Obviously there were some issues, but learned how to fix easily from forums, making all issues minor. The new Chevy trucks are ugly and the interior is very basic. In 2018, I was leaning to GMC over Chevy, but decided to give Ford a shot.

So I bought a 2018 F150 XLT sport 4x4 5.0L. I loved the console shifter, but after purchase, I realized that the interior was so basic and had too much plastic, everywhere. The Ford Sync system is very good and recognizes voice commands easily. But, the top of the line, loaded XLT, still didn't have lighted mirrors or HomeLink in the visors. Not available on the XLT in 2018. The XLT top of the line radio also didn't come with HD radio. I should've bought the Lariat, but then I was pushing $70k to get the options I wanted as Homelink is not available even on the entry Lariat. I had to lemon law that truck due to transmission issues and fighting with dealerships and Ford saying it was normal took a lot of time.

I decided to buy the '21 Rebel. I have two issues, but I don't think they are major at all. The Homelink buttons were broken, so I got a new visor, under warranty and all is good. The second issue is a grinding feeling in the floor and pedals when making right turns at slow speeds. Many people have similar issues, so I figure I'll wait until it's easier to diagnose and get it fixed. My dealer said that they believe it's a vacuum line issue, but I haven't taken it in. I also have a paint issue on the driver side rear door, but I don't believe that is a factory problem. It looks like something splashed on the door and damaged the clear coat. It looks like hydraulic fluid water spots. Again, not a factory issue, I don't think.

The Ram interior is better than the others, I have no quality issues, and I love the truck. The Rebel with the options I have is probably similar to a loaded Lariat, but at a substantially lower cost. I will never go back to Ford, and until Chevy gives a better design and options, I'm here to stay.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I am actually thinking of going to Ford. My '19 had the rear window replaced due to a leak, there is a paint defect in the passenger door, the air conditioning suck, misaligned doors and body panels and an air leak noise from the rear driver side.

The interior design of the RAM is the best of any truck on the road.
Consumer Reports notes this.

Zig10

Reaction score
Came out of a 2016 GMC into my 2020 Limited Ram. I looked at all of the big 3, different option packages, engines, etc. I just kept coming back to the Ram. Nothing came close for the ride quality and interior feel.

As for warranty, at 20k miles I have only had one issue thus far (knock on wood) with a bad check valve in the fuel tank, and my local dealer took care of it without issue. Note, they were not my selling dealer, and I didn't get one inkling of pushback.

Compared to my wife's 2018 Expedition, which has been back to the dealer 6 times in 2.5 years and 23k miles for over 10 warrantied issues, this is has been a good experience.

When the time comes to upgrade I'll go back to shopping all 3 (maybe even Toyota), but Ram will get first shot at my money based on my current experience.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Consumer Reports notes this.
Let me also add this truck has the worst wind buffering of any vehicle I ever rode in. You cannot have just one window partly down. It physically makes me sick with the interior turbulence. Both front windows need to be down or one window and the rear slider.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Let me also add this truck has the worst wind buffering of any vehicle I ever rode in. You cannot have just one window partly down. It physically makes me sick with the interior turbulence. Both front windows need to be down or one window and the rear slider.
The windows roll down!? 😜

DesertRat

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info so far.

How is towing? I have a 20 ft cargo trailer that I am turning into a camper and the trailer only weights 3K lbs so it probably shouldn't be a big deal to tow with about any truck.

Is it easy to level the truck by raising the front? I put Billstein 5100 shocks on my current ford and raised the front 1.25 for a total of 1 inch rake front to back

Will 33 inch tires fit a stock RAM with no issues?

e-torque or no e-torque for the 5.7? (I turned off the start stop feature on my Ford)

Lastly ordering, anyone know what the current order to delivery time is on average?

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I’m not a Ford vs GM vs Mopar guy, more like Domestic vs Import. I have my Ram since April and like it a lot. Previous truck was a GMC and a Ford before that. I’m old school and not too keen on tiny turbocharged engines in full size trucks. I wanted a V8 without the engine start/stop technology. In all honesty I could do without some of the technology in my truck but I‘m a huge fan of Apple CarPlay. I think Ram had a few issues early on but 2021 is the third year for the 5th Generation, I think things are pretty well figured out.

Red Cat

Reaction score

How is towing? I have a 20 ft cargo trailer that I am turning into a camper and the trailer only weights 3K lbs so it probably shouldn't be a big deal to tow with about any truck.

Is it easy to level the truck by raising the front? I put Billstein 5100 shocks on my current ford and raised the front 1.25 for a total of 1 inch rake front to back

e-torque or no e-torque for the 5.7? (I turned off the start stop feature on my Ford)

Lastly ordering, anyone know what the current order to delivery time is on average?

When it comes to e-Torque, the system is not like a typical stop start. You don't get any shudder or roughness when it turns the engine back over again. The system will even keep the A/C running cold for you with the engine stopped. Smooths out shifts and accelerations from a stop. I've heard it helps off the line with towing. You may want to consider 3.92 gears if you'd be towing regularly and putting on taller tires, especially if it's hilly areas.

I think the Rebel comes with 33's from the factory. Rebel and off-road package trucks both get a slightly taller suspension from the factory. I know on the 4th gens you could fit a 35 inch tire with a couple of inches of lift and the right wheel. Lots of people do Bilsteins on the Rams. Don't think it would be too big a deal fitting a 33 on even a stock truck, especially if it had the off-road package.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To add about etorque, compare the two (if u can find a non eT, might need to look used to drive one) and see what you think. The surge during braking to recharge the 48v battery REALLY bothered me the first several months, to the point I ordered a non eT (but didn't take delivery because the dealer played games). But now the eT doesn't really bother me.

rubrduk

Reaction score

it tows much nicer than my 2016 Silverado

the front level is easy using Fox/Mopar or Bilstein, and you can clear 34's easily...and 35"s with very minor trimming

Quint

Reaction score
Former Ford guy ('83 Mustang -- 112hp stock!, '85 F-150, '03 F-150, '06 Ranger, '07 Ranger) who drove everything in 2015 when wanting to see what the rest of the world looked like. They all seemed close but the Ram had enough at the time to hook me. I put 112k miles on that truck, half of it towing my boat, before the dreaded cam & lifter failure hit. While I was hoping to drive that truck a lot longer, I did not hesitate to buy a new 2021. That first Ram convinced me whole-heartily to stick with the brand.

My new truck is a 5.7L Bighorn with e-Torque, 4x4, and 3.92 gears. People compliment me all the time on it and my older brother is pining to get his own Storm Trooper version. They are great trucks. My truck hauls my boat, my snowmobile trailer w/sleds, and the occasional small camper that I borrow from friends. I really like how it tows. In retrospect, I probably would go back to the 3.21 gear ratio that my 2015 had because for the relatively light towing that I do I don't need the extra torque and gearing. I'd rather have the smaller gear for mileage.

Good luck.

P.S. If you get the "Hemi tick" do not let people tell you that it's normal. While it can be normal, it can also be a symptom of something worse (such as cam & lifter failure beginning).

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Bighorn, 24000 miles so far. Couple of early teething problems fixed under warranty with no issues:

- 1500 miles . Master cylinder went out after a heavy braking effort to avoid a deer, fixed under warranty.
-3500 miles. Transmission got stuck in 3rd , valve body replaced under warranty
-8500 miles, rear window leak. Replaced under warranty
-10,009 miles, drivers side mirror was vibrating, replaced under warranty

Other than that, this has been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Smooth ride, rugged looks and performance.

My Bighorn has the level 2 package with Nav and LED lights. I modded the following things:

- Mopar running boards
-Mopar soft tonneau cover
-Mopar 5” black exhaust tips
-Line-X spray in bedliner
-Blacked out RAM emblems and Sport front fascia (minus the hood)
-Red stickered Hemi badges
- Built To Serve technical gray 20” rims
-Built To Serve interior seats (half vinyl half blue-gray stitching with BTS patches)
-275/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs (one size up from the puny 275/55/20s)

So there haven’t been any issues at all from the factory warranty. I did purchase an official Mopar extended warranty… It’s an 8yr/85000mile/$200 deductible for $1370 purchased directly from Mopar through Ziegler, they have the best deals out there. www.Chryslerfactoryplans.com

You won’t regret buying a Ram, they are spectacular and will make the Ford seem bare bones (minus a couple things I love about Fords )

Couple of pics

Good luck! 0D3D929D-6896-458F-8B0C-C721B96E49AA.jpeg C70B49FC-A6AA-4C61-B43A-91BBDE7862BD.jpeg A762B15D-D25D-448A-ADA0-05E8B35D0796.jpeg 4EC4C561-692E-46D8-8D19-AA869E67FEF7.jpeg F04D2BD1-AE14-462A-8C0F-D1DC9C8D507F.jpeg 24DC294E-98F9-4291-AAF9-2DEF360E5AFD.jpeg

Last edited:

Red Cat

Reaction score
^Very nice truck

Former Ford guy ('83 Mustang -- 112hp stock!, '85 F-150, '03 F-150, '06 Ranger, '07 Ranger) who drove everything in 2015 when wanting to see what the rest of the world looked like. They all seemed close but the Ram had enough at the time to hook me. I put 112k miles on that truck, half of it towing my boat, before the dreaded cam & lifter failure hit. While I was hoping to drive that truck a lot longer, I did not hesitate to buy a new 2021. That first Ram convinced me whole-heartily to stick with the brand.

My new truck is a 5.7L Bighorn with e-Torque, 4x4, and 3.92 gears. People compliment me all the time on it and my older brother is pining to get his own Storm Trooper version. They are great trucks. My truck hauls my boat, my snowmobile trailer w/sleds, and the occasional small camper that I borrow from friends. I really like how it tows. In retrospect, I probably would go back to the 3.21 gear ratio that my 2015 had because for the relatively light towing that I do I don't need the extra torque and gearing. I'd rather have the smaller gear for mileage.

Good luck.

P.S. If you get the "Hemi tick" do not let people tell you that it's normal. While it can be normal, it can also be a symptom of something worse (such as cam & lifter failure beginning).

Did you idle your first Hemi a lot by any chance? Do a lot of low speed traffic driving? I've read tons of opinions about the Hemi tick over the years and I tend to believe now that it is caused predominantly by oiling issues in the valvetrain and possibly somewhat also by the type of oil used. By the design of the Hemi and with how high the camshaft is positioned, it puts the angle of the lifters in such a way that it isn't easy for the rollers to be lubricated especially at idle and low RPM conditions.

I've owned 6 Hemis since 2014, a mix up of the truck 5.7/6.4 and the SRT engines. Even fresh from the factory every single one of them had an audible valvetrain "tick" that was louder than your average engine. Especially with the past couple Hemi vehicles I've bought, I try as much as possible to avoid idling them for long periods or sitting in a lot of stop and go traffic if possible. Haven't had any issues with any of them to speak of but then again I wouldn't expect anything until over 100k miles anyway. I find the harder you drive them and the more you beat on them the better they run honestly.

With my Hellcat I've really tried to pay attention to this. When I first start the car up and let it idle and start driving at slow speeds, the tick is at it's loudest. If I keep driving in that manner for a while, it doesn't change the tick much. If I push the car for a bit or drive it really hard and get the rotating assembly spinning up, the tick quiets down A LOT. Almost completely goes away when the oil is at full OT.

Quint

Reaction score
Nope, not much idling but I tend not to drive hard. After the cam & lifter failure the dealer did tell me to drive it harder. So I do try to jump on the gas a little more without being a jackarse to those around me.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve always been a Chevy Silverado guy! However in 19 when I was ready for a new truck I purchased a 19 ram over the phone from over 1000 miles away! Why, because I got 14,000 off a 62,000 truck and 500 more for my trade then book, which was 2500+ more then anyone in Iowa would give me! Now, the ugly, I had a very bad experience with the 19 and dealing with ram and 3 different dealers who could not fix my issues! Long story short after they all gave me the run around for a year and 7900 miles of hell. 7 visits to the dealer, they told me there was nothing more they could do. I went home called ram cares and said, you’ll be hearing from my lawyer soon! They said to give them a week to decide what they wanted to do. A week later, Finally they decided to buy it back😁 So I went and look at new trucks, the new chevys interior sucks, ugly, gross! Ford dealers laughed and said good luck as they had none on the lot, thanks Covid🤮, Toyota is ok, but basic, overpriced gas hog. So I had a 2021 ram Laramie sport built. At 4800 miles the only issues I have is tires wearing/chewing up funny and no I’m not a aggressive driver like ram accused me of! The interior is what drew me to the new ram! Also the 5.3 Chevy is good, but the hemi is by far the funest truck I’ve ever driven. I have the etorque I can get 19 mpg in town and 21-22 highway if you keep the foot out of it, but it’s hard to do as it’s so fun to drive😁 I really have doubts about the reliability of these new rams, as I do with all these new trucks and technology. I do have to say that the 2022 tundra and Silverado zr2 look very nice and will probably be the way I go next time! If you choose the ram hemi, you will love it until you start having problems😁 with that being said, I know all brands could have issue. Good luck and enjoy what where you decide👍🏻

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Bighorn, 24000 miles so far. Couple of early teething problems fixed under warranty with no issues:

- 1500 miles . Master cylinder went out after a heavy braking effort to avoid a deer, fixed under warranty.
-3500 miles. Transmission got stuck in 3rd , valve body replaced under warranty
-8500 miles, rear window leak. Replaced under warranty
-10,009 miles, drivers side mirror was vibrating, replaced under warranty

Other than that, this has been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Smooth ride, rugged looks and performance.

My Bighorn has the level 2 package with Nav and LED lights. I modded the following things:

- Mopar running boards
-Mopar soft tonneau cover
-Mopar 5” black exhaust tips
-Line-X spray in bedliner
-Blacked out RAM emblems and Sport front fascia (minus the hood)
-Red stickered Hemi badges
- Built To Serve technical gray 20” rims
-Built To Serve interior seats (half vinyl half blue-gray stitching with BTS patches)
-275/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs (one size up from the puny 275/55/20s)

So there haven’t been any issues at all from the factory warranty. I did purchase an official Mopar extended warranty… It’s an 8yr/85000mile/$200 deductible for $1370 purchased directly from Mopar through Ziegler, they have the best deals out there. www.Chryslerfactoryplans.com

You won’t regret buying a Ram, they are spectacular and will make the Ford seem bare bones (minus a couple things I love about Fords )

Couple of pics

Good luck! View attachment 105464 View attachment 105465 View attachment 105466 View attachment 105467 View attachment 105468 View attachment 105469
nice ram, good choice on tires

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First post here and I currently own a 2020 F-150 XLT but an considering switching to a 2021+ RAM 1500. I have a lot of questions and am hoping to get some objective opinions.

How is the RAM quality and dependability on the 2021 models? I have heard that the interiors on the RAM are pretty nice and many people like them over other brand trucks. I have also read some reviews on Edmunds and other sites and the RAM doesn't get great ratings though. I think it was Consumer Reports that was recommending as "do not buy". Many people are reporting electrical issues, braking, HVAC issues and other problems. It is hard to remain objective though as it is a lot like ratings and reviews on Ebay or Amazon and usually only those with issues bother to complain. My current Ford has a clunking noise in the rear that Ford, myself or anyone else can fix or do anything about. I am hoping Ford will offer to buy it back but IDK? I read an opinion on one non-truck forum to NOT but a 2021 RAm since it is the first year of that model and they were built like $hit becuse of Covid?

Is there any difference in build quality between the Big Horn, Laramie, and other models or are the only differences just options?

Are there any features or options on the RAM that I should absolutely consider or I will regret if I do not ( I do want the larger fuel tank)

How does RAM stand behind their warranty. Ford isn't too bad, but if they cannot fix something they will often just say it is normal and they will document it.

In my casual online searching I have noticed that the RAM is about 5K less than the Fords with the same features and trim. RAM must be stepping up to try and be competitive?

Thank you for any and all information.
Others will have much deeper experience of trucks. This Ram is my first.

I've had zero, none, zilch, nada problems. So, I have no idea what the warranty "strength" is. It's been great...for (just) 4 months and 6,000 miles.

HVAC: I've =heard= the 2019s (and some 2020's?) have had issues. I live in NC and the brutal summers here have shown me, with my black interior, that my HVAC is fine. It puts out plenty of cold.

Must have: As a new truck owner, before purchasing I asked around. The MultiFunction Tailgate (MFT) was the one everyone said to get. I did...and it's fabulous. My buddy (diehard Chevy/GM guy), was stunned by it and wished his truck had one.

No idea about Ford truck quality (other than buddy's), but my Ford Edge (yeah, I know, a crossover) Limited has much lower quality materials and ergonomics than my Ram Laramie ( a lower trim level than the Edge).

JP_Night18

Reaction score
Unfortunately the leaky third brake light has been an issue forever. I don't think that problem has only been limited to Rams though. When I got my 4th gen 2500 one of the first things I did was just put some thicker weather stripping in place of the OEM stuff for the peace of mind. Very easy to do and you'll never have to worry about a leak.
I was planning on doing this before winter comes. How hard or what did you use to remove the oem strip off the light ? did you use plastic razor blade too ?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was planning on doing this before winter comes. How hard or what did you use to remove the oem strip off the light ? did you use plastic razor blade too ?
I used a plastic trim removal tool I got from Crutchfield for car audio equipment. And goo gone. Tape off the holes in the light or glue residue can easily get inside and is not easy to get out.

Users who are viewing this thread