5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about ordering a new truck. No more 3.6 option?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Get the V8, it's fun. There's no sense of occasion in the V6. You press the gas pedal and it's like drowning in wallpaper paste. Hit the fun button in the Hemi and the gas gauge plummets, the hood rears up and thunder shoots out of the exhaust. Makes me smile every time
I don't think OP cares about that.
He said he already has a Challenger.

U

User_3336

I wanted the off road package when we ordered our 22 but you couldn't get that with a V-6. We have an 18 3/4 ton with the 6.4 to do our heavy work. Couldn't be happier with our V-6 in the 1/2 ton; it does everything I need it to and we get 24-25 mpg on the hwy with the warmer weather driving. If I was to purchase another 1/2 ton, do not know what I'd get as the UConnect radio we have has never worked properly and Stellantis will not honor their warranty. There is no more Stellantis products in my future; V-6 or V-8!!!
Details? statements without explanation generally don't hold much validity in a public forum.

spyder

Reaction score
Yeah, a 1972 one.
A 500hp 440 72 one. :D

I'm kind of off the hunt now, since I can't option out a new one the way I want it. I'll probably look at used market stuff a little and just live with the tiny bed for now. Too busy trying to get house and property projects done before winter kicks off again to go car lot shopping so just wanted to order one and sign for it.

If I was going to complain about mpg, I wouldn't have a carbureted 440 either. :p

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Personally, there is NO WAY I would ever invest in/buy another 3.6 V6 in full size truck, period.
(A V6 in a compact pickup is well suited for it, like the 3.8 V6 in the third gen Frontier)

I've had a 3.6 Pentastar in a number of FCA vehicles, including the Dodge Charger, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (the size and weight of the JGC was almost too much for the V6) , and a RAM over the years.

That V6 belongs in a car or an SUV, NOT in a truck, IMO.

Before I traded for the '23, I even test drove a Quad Cab V6, the constant 5-6-7-8 shifting drove me crazy (as it did when I had one before). Going up even a small incline in the road caused it do downshift 2-3 gears. Honestly, I can't imagine towing in a V6 (maybe if you're on a level pavement your entire trip.)
My test drive lasted about 5 minutes, I drove it back to the dealer, and parked it in the same place it was when I arrived along with all the other V6's the dealer had)
I jumped in the '23 Hemi, and it was a difference between night and day. I had one downshift from 8th to 7th going up a small hill. And mind ya, this was a 3.21 axle ratio. (Of course, I already had a HEMI).

I could have walked away with a significant $$$$$$ If I had went for the V6, but I would have regretted it.

I do no hauling, and no towing, but I still would have hated the constant gear hunting because of the lack of power in the V6.

Again, my personal opinion and experience.
I've had 5 Rams, 2 of which were 5th gens. My first 5th gen was a V6. Not near as quick and powerful as the Hemi, but it was just fine. I tow a 5,000 lb pontoon boat and the only time it bothered me was towing from Detroit area to northern Michigan, going over the Zilwaukee bridge. Then it downshifted to where the engine was over 5,500 RPMs to maintain the 70 MPH the cruise was set at, but otherwise it did great.

Users who are viewing this thread