5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about ordering a new truck. No more 3.6 option?

spyder

Reaction score
I've currently got a 2021 Rebel with ~32k miles and the truck is great. My complaints about it are minor, and mostly about the small bed size and small fuel tank. No problems or issues at all so far.

I've got an old Challenger for a hot rod, and the places I go offroad don't particularly need the small Rebel perks, I rarely tow anything, and I do a lot of driving so I'm considering selling it and ordering a new Bighorn Crew Cab 6'4" bed with the 6 cylinder, Level B, 33 gallon fuel tank and off road group. I was going to put together the PDF to send to Mark Dodge to get their quote but I'm not seeing the option for the 6 cylinder anymore, on any models. Am I looking in the wrong place or did that engine get booted from the Bighorn trim? I looked at a few other trims and couldn't find it there either.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think orders for 2023 are closed or in the process of closing.
Wait a month then take a look imo.
Also the 3.6 should be staying for 2024s as far as I can tell.

John Galt

Reaction score
The ordering constraints on the 2023 may or may not have been permanent. It may just have been an attempt to streamline production and maximize revenue for the remainder of 2023. As stated above wait a month or two and see what happens. I don’t think Ram officially announced any major 2024 changes like discontinuation of any engines.

I may be wrong but given the “fines” Ram has to pay for the V8s they may go to sold orders only for 2024….or at least you’re going to see a lot less of them on dealer lots although they will still be available for order.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The ordering constraints on the 2023 may or may not have been permanent. It may just have been an attempt to streamline production and maximize revenue for the remainder of 2023. As stated above wait a month or two and see what happens. I don’t think Ram officially announced any major 2024 changes like discontinuation of any engines.

I may be wrong but given the “fines” Ram has to pay for the V8s they may go to sold orders only for 2024….or at least you’re going to see a lot less of them on dealer lots although they will still be available for order.
What fines?
They don't even get hit with the gas guzzler tax because they are trucks and not cars.

Also 2023 ordering for HD is done so that's why I expect it to end for the 1500s very soon. . If OP is on the fence may as well wait a month or 2 to get the current calender build although at the rate Ram is going a 2024 will be worse in some ways then a 2023 since they keep removing standard features yet increasing the price.

John Galt

Reaction score
What fines?
They don't even get hit with the gas guzzler tax because they are trucks and not cars.

Also 2023 ordering for HD is done so that's why I expect it to end for the 1500s very soon. . If OP is on the fence may as well wait a month or 2 to get the current calender build although at the rate Ram is going a 2024 will be worse in some ways then a 2023 since they keep removing standard features yet increasing the price.
Really? I thought that changed at some point which is why we’re seeing all those turbo6 trucks from all the manufacturers. Id be happy to be wrong.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Really? I thought that changed at some point which is why we’re seeing all those turbo6 trucks from all the manufacturers. Id be happy to be wrong.
The gas guzzler tax in particular is only for cars, not SUVs or trucks. It's also juat passed along to the consumer via a line item. I believe I recall it being around $2500in 2012, not sure what it is now.

Could bbe something else, but seems to just be political and a small minority of people complaining for EVs and less emissions because politics.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can find the truck you want on a dealer lot or get your order in before the end of the month they are offering 10% below MSRP on Bighorn 3.6 trucks for this month - could be a good time to get a deal. I suspect the other issue you might be having is the 6' 4" bed as there have been times when they didn't offer the v6 with a CC and longer bed but only a CC short bed or QC and long bed.

John Galt

Reaction score
The gas guzzler tax in particular is only for cars, not SUVs or trucks. It's also juat passed along to the consumer via a line item. I believe I recall it being around $2500in 2012, not sure what it is now.

Could bbe something else, but seems to just be political and a small minority of people complaining for EVs and less emissions because politics.
Ah yeah…..you’re right

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Currently 24 DT orders are the same, can NOT order crew cab long beds w/ 3.6. You can order quad cab long beds w/ 3.6.

spyder

Reaction score
If you can find the truck you want on a dealer lot or get your order in before the end of the month they are offering 10% below MSRP on Bighorn 3.6 trucks for this month - could be a good time to get a deal. I suspect the other issue you might be having is the 6' 4" bed as there have been times when they didn't offer the v6 with a CC and longer bed but only a CC short bed or QC and long bed.
Yep, that was the problem. Mark Dodge rep emailed me back today saying that long bed, 33 gallon tank, CC, and 3.6 wasn't an option. Kind of kills all the things I wanted to do.
Big cab required for 33 gallon tank, but then the 3.6 isn't available. I want a longer bed than my Rebel, AND a 33 gallon tank, and the 3.6 for economy, as I have no need for the hemi anymore.

Oh well, maybe I'll start shopping for a used truck.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep, that was the problem. Mark Dodge rep emailed me back today saying that long bed, 33 gallon tank, CC, and 3.6 wasn't an option. Kind of kills all the things I wanted to do.
Big cab required for 33 gallon tank, but then the 3.6 isn't available. I want a longer bed than my Rebel, AND a 33 gallon tank, and the 3.6 for economy, as I have no need for the hemi anymore.

Oh well, maybe I'll start shopping for a used truck.

If you drive the 5.7 very conservatively you can stay quite close to the 3.6, maybe only 2 to 3 mpg difference depending on city/hyw ratio. I've gotten as high as 28 (according to the computer, not hand calc) on a 3 hour pure highway trip though that was pretty hard to hit. Driving at 63 mph you should have no trouble hitting 22+ mpg though.

The money you lose on a new truck can buy a ton of gas for the 5.7 (keep in mind that you're paying for the difference of the 5.7 over the 3.6. If it costs an extra $500/year to run the 5.7 instead of the 3.6, you may never make that back on a new truck if you're getting it just for the 3.6).

silver billet

Reaction score
Driving 63 in an area where the speed limit is 75 will get you run over….then again if you’re buying a 1/2 ton truck for the gas mileage you’re doing it wrong.

The point isn't to focus on 63, it's to give you a MPH where I got the MPG I did so those with the 3.6 have a reference point to compare against. If you drive 75, you won't get 28 MPG in the hemi, but you won't be getting that in the 3.6 either.

Having a truck and wanting to maximize the MPG you can get with it aren't mutually exclusive, not sure why you guys have such a hard time with that concept. Sometimes a truck is needed to haul/tow things and it's just more convenient/cheaper to have a single daily driver.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Proper gearing for the speeds you drive will give you more MPG then a v6 in a heavy pickup truck.

If you want to get better MPGs, don't buy another Ram or at a minimum get 3.21 gears and don't drive fast.

spyder

Reaction score
It's less about the mileage than it is about the long bed and the distance I can go between fill ups. The Rebel is fun, but I have no need for it, and having the short bed has been a problem dozens of times in the 18 months I've owned it.

I normally get around 17mpg with everyday driving. I live very rural, but in hilly and mountainous areas, and do a lot of long 80mph road trips.

Part of the thought also was dropping the monthly payment by several hundred per month so I can roll those extra funds in to the house and property I just bought. I'm currently at 2.19%, and after doing a lot of math over many years, it would have worked out in my favor by a little to get the truck I wanted at the price I was seeing...but no point in selling this truck to get another one that isn't what I want.

U

User_3336

Personally, there is NO WAY I would ever invest in/buy another 3.6 V6 in full size truck, period.
(A V6 in a compact pickup is well suited for it, like the 3.8 V6 in the third gen Frontier)

I've had a 3.6 Pentastar in a number of FCA vehicles, including the Dodge Charger, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (the size and weight of the JGC was almost too much for the V6) , and a RAM over the years.

That V6 belongs in a car or an SUV, NOT in a truck, IMO.

Before I traded for the '23, I even test drove a Quad Cab V6, the constant 5-6-7-8 shifting drove me crazy (as it did when I had one before). Going up even a small incline in the road caused it do downshift 2-3 gears. Honestly, I can't imagine towing in a V6 (maybe if you're on a level pavement your entire trip.)
My test drive lasted about 5 minutes, I drove it back to the dealer, and parked it in the same place it was when I arrived along with all the other V6's the dealer had)
I jumped in the '23 Hemi, and it was a difference between night and day. I had one downshift from 8th to 7th going up a small hill. And mind ya, this was a 3.21 axle ratio. (Of course, I already had a HEMI).

I could have walked away with a significant $$$$$$ If I had went for the V6, but I would have regretted it.

I do no hauling, and no towing, but I still would have hated the constant gear hunting because of the lack of power in the V6.

Again, my personal opinion and experience.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
I wanted the off road package when we ordered our 22 but you couldn't get that with a V-6. We have an 18 3/4 ton with the 6.4 to do our heavy work. Couldn't be happier with our V-6 in the 1/2 ton; it does everything I need it to and we get 24-25 mpg on the hwy with the warmer weather driving. If I was to purchase another 1/2 ton, do not know what I'd get as the UConnect radio we have has never worked properly and Stellantis will not honor their warranty. There is no more Stellantis products in my future; V-6 or V-8!!!

Scram1500

Reaction score
Get the V8, it's fun. There's no sense of occasion in the V6. You press the gas pedal and it's like drowning in wallpaper paste. Hit the fun button in the Hemi and the gas gauge plummets, the hood rears up and thunder shoots out of the exhaust. Makes me smile every time

Users who are viewing this thread