5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They’re on- LT285/60R20 on 2021 Limited: no lift/level/ORP

tfdickson

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just got new wheels and tires and am thrilled with the result. This forum helped a ton in making my choices so I thought I’d post my results and maybe it helps someone else.

Truck: 2021 Limited, no ORP. Suspension is stock air ride. 3.21 gears.
Tires: Nitto Recon Grappler LT285/60R20. E-rated, 60lb each vs 44lb stock tires.
Wheels: Fuel Rebel 6, 20x9 w/ +1 offset

I’ve only driven the truck home from the shop, about 30 miles- half highway and half 45 mph country roads. That said here are first impressions:

Ride: firmer than stock but in a good way. No more floaty feel, better on-center steering feel. Difference is noticeable but not dramatic.

Noise: Imperceptible below 40mph. Above that it is noticeable but not bothersome at all.

Fuel economy: I averaged an indicated 19.3 mpg on the way home, about what I’d expect with the stock tires, maybe even better than expected. These tires are 33.5” vs stock 31.8” so actual mileage was better than indicated. One odd thing I noticed is that I expected to need to calibrate the speedo for the larger tires- the school zone speed camera I passed on the way home matched my speedo though.

Power delivery: I can’t tell the difference. Feels exactly the same even with the heavier and larger tires.

Here are the pics:

Before:

5364C0BD-9CF8-4D8D-88D1-6F6F5F23B0AC.png

After:

E853E5FE-BA0C-4158-9165-AF924EAC4C9D.jpeg

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
I have the same truck and have been looking at new wheels for the last month. Having a hard time finding what I want lol. Truck looks great 👍🏻

Craigswardmtb

Reaction score
Nice ride! I did wheels yesterday as well on my Limited. I debated on 285/60 20 and was worried about rubbing so went with 275/60 20. I did fuel twitch wheels in matte black and d rated falcon wildpeaks. No rubbing in all air settings. I dig it.

Attachments

• 20221019_125819.jpg
    20221019_125819.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 20221019_125806.jpg
    20221019_125806.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 20221019_125837.jpg
    20221019_125837.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 373

tfdickson

Reaction score
Nice ride! I did wheels yesterday as well on my Limited. I debated on 285/60 20 and was worried about rubbing so went with 275/60 20. I did fuel twitch wheels in matte black and d rated falcon wildpeaks. No rubbing in all air settings. I dig it.

Looking good! Wildpeaks were what I planned on going with but the shop that did the install is big into Nitto and really talked up the new-ish Recons. I looked at reviews and decided to go with their recommendation. Both seem to have great reputations, don’t think you can go wrong either way.

Jack.

Reaction score
I'm considering the 20x9 +1 offset or 20x10 -18 offset too with that tiresize or maybe even 290.

Nice to know that 20x9 +1 with that size won't rub with my stock suspension hehe

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just got new wheels and tires and am thrilled with the result. This forum helped a ton in making my choices so I thought I’d post my results and maybe it helps someone else.

Tires: Nitto Recon Grappler LT285/60R20. E-rated, 60lb each vs 44lb stock tires.

I’ve only driven the truck home from the shop, about 30 miles- half highway and half 45 mph country roads. That said here are first impressions:

Ride: firmer than stock but in a good way. No more floaty feel, better on-center steering feel. Difference is noticeable but not dramatic.

Noise: Imperceptible below 40mph. Above that it is noticeable but not bothersome at all.

Fuel economy: I averaged an indicated 19.3 mpg on the way home, about what I’d expect with the stock tires, maybe even better than expected. These tires are 33.5” vs stock 31.8” so actual mileage was better than indicated. One odd thing I noticed is that I expected to need to calibrate the speedo for the larger tires- the school zone speed camera I passed on the way home matched my speedo though.

Power delivery: I can’t tell the difference. Feels exactly the same even with the heavier and larger tires.

Here are the pics:

Before:

View attachment 141645

After:

View attachment 141646

Nice transformation with the new wheels and tires.

Your speedometer is definitely off, but at slower speeds like a school zone it's about 1 mph.

Screenshot_20221019_221420.jpg

tfdickson

Reaction score
Nice transformation with the new wheels and tires.

Your speedometer is definitely off, but at slower speeds like a school zone it's about 1 mph.

View attachment 141691

Good point, that makes perfect sense. My plan is to leave it as is for now and then see if the dealer can adjust it when I take it in for the state inspection in December.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good point, that makes perfect sense. My plan is to leave it as is for now and then see if the dealer can adjust it when I take it in for the state inspection in December.

Any dealership can recalibrate your speedometer, but only a few will actually do it. You can do it yourself for about $100 with AlfaOBD.

tfdickson

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion @Idahoktm , I’ll check out AlphaODB.

After a couple more days of driving with the new set up a few more observations:

- I‘ll revise my comment above about zero difference in power delivery. Below 40 mph I really can’t tell a difference. Above that, there is a difference, slightly less responsive. It also seems like when I lift off the gas the truck decelerates a touch faster. So net-net a slight decrease in “scootability” for lack of a better word.

- Still zero difference in fuel economy, I’m really surprised by this.

- I absolutely prefer the way the truck rides with these tires vs stock. Feels more planted, no penalty in comfort.

- 90% of my driving is 50mph or less on country roads, so for me this set up has almost zero downside. If I spent a lot of time on the highway I think the slight decrease in responsiveness, slightly elevated noise level, and very likely a decrease in fuel economy (that I haven’t seen yet) would make more of a difference.

- The look is night and day. Absolutely love it.

Mr. Ramrod

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Here are the pics:

Before:

View attachment 141645

After:

View attachment 141646
Truck looks absolutely amazing!

Do you get any rubbing at any of the air settings? I just ordered a limited 2023 with ORP. I was hoping with the ORP I could leave everything stock and squeeze in 295/60r20 which is basically 33.9 x 11.8 versus your 285/60r20 which is basically 33.5 x 11.5. I'm thinking I can get away with it using the stock rims which have a +19 offset.

What do you think? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

tfdickson

Reaction score

Do you get any rubbing at any of the air settings? I just ordered a limited 2023 with ORP. I was hoping with the ORP I could leave everything stock and squeeze in 295/60r20 which is basically 33.9 x 11.8 versus your 285/60r20 which is basically 33.5 x 11.5. I'm thinking I can get away with it using the stock rims which have a +19 offset.

Thank you!

I get no rubbing whatsoever in the normal setting. The only time my truck is in aero mode is at highway speeds and I haven’t had a problem there. I haven’t done a lock-to-lock test in aero because it’s not relevant to me, no way I’m doing a full lock turn at 70mph. I brought it down to entry/exit and it‘s tight but not touching anything. That works for me as the only time I use that mode is getting my wife’s 96 year old grandma in and out of the truck.

ORP will get you an additional inch over my truck at normal height, so the height of the 295/60s shouldn’t be an issue. I would be a little concerned about the width though. My new wheels are a +1 offset, so 18mm or almost 3/4” of extra wiggle room vs stock. My 285s with the +1 offset wheels are really close to the fender liner at full lock in normal mode, I think it would definitely rub had I kept the stock wheels. You never know until they are on, but my guess is that even with the ORP there is a good chance you would get some rubbing with 295’s and the stock wheels. I know that adding wheels basically doubles the cost but for whatever it’s worth I am really glad I went that route.

tfdickson

Reaction score

By the way, here is my truck in Off Road 1 mode, this should be the same as Normal ride height for your ORP truck on the way. This way you can get a good idea of what 285/60s would look like on your set up.

9293C25A-E995-4195-9680-13120788046C.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion @Idahoktm , I’ll check out AlphaODB.

After a couple more days of driving with the new set up a few more observations:

- I‘ll revise my comment above about zero difference in power delivery. Below 40 mph I really can’t tell a difference. Above that, there is a difference, slightly less responsive. It also seems like when I lift off the gas the truck decelerates a touch faster. So net-net a slight decrease in “scootability” for lack of a better word.

- Still zero difference in fuel economy, I’m really surprised by this.

- I absolutely prefer the way the truck rides with these tires vs stock. Feels more planted, no penalty in comfort.

- 90% of my driving is 50mph or less on country roads, so for me this set up has almost zero downside. If I spent a lot of time on the highway I think the slight decrease in responsiveness, slightly elevated noise level, and very likely a decrease in fuel economy (that I haven’t seen yet) would make more of a difference.

- The look is night and day. Absolutely love it.
The MPG readout on the dash is not accurate. The only way to know if there is a difference is to hand calculate based on miles driven divided by gallons used. And even then, if you haven't adjusted for the larger tires, your hand calculations will be off as well.

tfdickson

Reaction score
Update: I just got back from an unplanned (thanks Southwest!) road trip, eastern Long Island to the FL Keys. 1500 miles each way. I couldn’t be happier with the way the truck performed. Most of my miles at home are country roads, 50mph and less. This was my first major highway trip with the new wheels and tires and they performed beautifully. For most of the way I cruised at 74-78 mph indicated, 78-82 mph actual. Noise level was louder than stock but not an issue at all. I averaged 19.1 mpg indicated, so 20.0 mpg actual for the trip. If these wheels and tires have cost me any mpg’s it can‘t be much.

Bottom line: still love this set up.

tabber02

Reaction score
Update: I just got back from an unplanned (thanks Southwest!) road trip, eastern Long Island to the FL Keys. 1500 miles each way. I couldn’t be happier with the way the truck performed. Most of my miles at home are country roads, 50mph and less. This was my first major highway trip with the new wheels and tires and they performed beautifully. For most of the way I cruised at 74-78 mph indicated, 78-82 mph actual. Noise level was louder than stock but not an issue at all. I averaged 19.1 mpg indicated, so 20.0 mpg actual for the trip. If these wheels and tires have cost me any mpg’s it can‘t be much.

Bottom line: still love this set up.
that's one hell of a road trip. i'd say you put it through just about anything it's ever going to see driving across country like that. going through the mountains in the southwest and some of the high plains. yeah. have you thought of going to the dealer and getting them to reflash the ECM for the correct tire size? i know you can do it with a tuner too.

tfdickson

Reaction score
that's one hell of a road trip. i'd say you put it through just about anything it's ever going to see driving across country like that. going through the mountains in the southwest and some of the high plains. yeah. have you thought of going to the dealer and getting them to reflash the ECM for the correct tire size? i know you can do it with a tuner too.

When I took it to my local dealer for the state inspection in December they told me it couldn’t be done. Like you said, I know it can be done. Next oil change I’ll take it to the dealer that I bought it from, they aren’t much further away.

Now that I think about it, after 3000 miles in the last 9 days I’d say next oil change is ASAP!

tabber02

Reaction score
sure can. they're reflashing mine on monday for the 35s. and yeah - not a bad idea to refresh the oil after all that driving. not a big fan of so many miles between oil changes. something to be said for clean oil and greased tie rod ends.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I took it to my local dealer for the state inspection in December they told me it couldn’t be done. Like you said, I know it can be done. Next oil change I’ll take it to the dealer that I bought it from, they aren’t much further away.

Now that I think about it, after 3000 miles in the last 9 days I’d say next oil change is ASAP!
Highway miles are easier on the oil than shorter trips.

Users who are viewing this thread