5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wait is over! Worst in class lag?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I get the gas golf cart analogy even though I never had a gov tune 3.55 model. What a world of difference driving a 3.92 geared with GDE engine & transmission tune is. It’s actually super responsive crisp & powerful feeling in traffic. Mind you when floored it’s still not going to rocket off like a 3.92 Hemi but it feels stronger than the Hemi in part throttle traffic.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw this on Instagram and thought of my truck. Lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200622-133449_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200622-133449_Instagram.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 64

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So yesterday I drove the Jeep Gladiator with the EcoDiesel.

- It has ESS, which I love. While sitting at a red light, fast food drive thru line, etc. there is NO fuel being wasted. I have no idea why they didn't do this on the Ram. This is probably why the Jeep guys are reporting much better MPG despite the truck having very similar curb weight.

- It has manual shifting. Another GREAT feature that should have been on the Ram. You can shift the 8HP75 manually with the AutoStick in the Jeep. VERY useful...a lot better than the stupid "gear lockout" feature in the Ram.

- Throttle was great. There wasn't any of the throttle lag, delay, or driveability issue with the Jeep. Press the pedal and it goes. Every time. It felt really good. I wish Ram felt that good. And despite having 38 lb/ft less torque on paper, the Jeep feels every drop as strong as the Ram.

Seems to me like the Jeep and Ram guys at FCA need to share notes.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

- It has ESS, which I love. While sitting at a red light, fast food drive thru line, etc. there is NO fuel being wasted. I have no idea why they didn't do this on the Ram. This is probably why the Jeep guys are reporting much better MPG despite the truck having very similar curb weight.

- It has manual shifting. Another GREAT feature that should have been on the Ram. You can shift the 8HP75 manually with the AutoStick in the Jeep. VERY useful...a lot better than the stupid "gear lockout" feature in the Ram.

- Throttle was great. There wasn't any of the throttle lag, delay, or driveability issue with the Jeep. Press the pedal and it goes. Every time. It felt really good. I wish Ram felt that good. And despite having 38 lb/ft less torque on paper, the Jeep feels every drop as strong as the Ram.

Seems to me like the Jeep and Ram guys at FCA need to share notes.
I'm wondering if it's an updated tune or something.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good report. And a good example of why I'm holding out for maybe around Year 3 of the new ED before I trade.

WanderingDuc

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see where the charge air cooler is mounted on the Gladiator. It seems to me that the 8 extra feet of tubing used to mount the CAC down low on the Rams is hurting the lag response times. It would be interesting to see someone do a top mount using the Mopar performance intake or even the TRX hood with the functional scoop. Should make it more responsive like a WRX/STI Boxer engine

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

- It has ESS, which I love. While sitting at a red light, fast food drive thru line, etc. there is NO fuel being wasted.
The other advantage to ESS on the diesel is that when you're trying to order at a fast-food drive-through, less noise competing with you for the microphone.

Users who are viewing this thread