5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wait is over! Worst in class lag?

ldoh

Reaction score
No, the lag is still there and the results are rough.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Disappointing. My dad had a Jeep GC with the EcoDiesel and the lag was brutal.

Skud

Reaction score
The lag in my 2015 ED was already bad enough that it sometimes felt like I was going to get hit.....

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably still beats the Ford, that said the new 3.0 Duramax is a really quick diesel and it was built specifically for a half ton truck. The Ram and Ford engines were not.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really don't know why TFL Truck (or anyone else) is bothering to review the ED when they still don't have trucks with the final, EPA-approved, tunes in them.

How these pre-production trucks run could be TOTALLY different than how the actual production trucks run.

OTOH, it is pretty darn clever of FCA to give out these pre-production units for all the reviews. They can give them trucks that have tunes that FCA KNOWS is not going to pass muster with the EPA, but will at least give somewhat decent performance and mileage. They get reviews out there making the new ED sound pretty good, so the public perception is pretty well set. Then they can get the final tune approved by the EPA and, POTENTIALLY, start selling trucks that don't run nearly as well or get nearly as good mileage.

I want one, but I am waiting until they've been out in actual customer hands for at least a year before I would even consider one. I sincerely HOPE that production units are as good (or better) than these pre-production models that are getting reviewed right now.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
The gen 2 3.55 trucks with 20s and tall 33” tires had some lag. If you got a 3.92 or a tune or a pedal commander or even to some degree the 17s with 31.9” tall tires the lag disappeared.

2020’s are hitting the lots now so we should learn if lag is still an annoyance when ordered with the taller gear.

Last edited:

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I test drove an ecodiesel and a hemi - my first FCA purchase. Hemi drive was more fun and agile - the diesel was not actually too far off when the turbo spooled - prior to that, man that lag is noticeable. Also, flooring Hemi got me up to 100MPH very fast, but I had to floor it and then some on the ecodiesel, and then wait for turbos to kick in and then it went up , still noticeable to get past 80MPH.

Now, the cabin IMO was quieter in the ED - the doors closed with more of a "thud" - I bet better insulation. Mileage and reliability (ED having a german tranny too, supposedly heavy duty compared to hemi) ..... well thats my gamble.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I test drove an ecodiesel and a hemi - my first FCA purchase. Hemi drive was more fun and agile - the diesel was not actually too far off when the turbo spooled - prior to that, man that lag is noticeable. Also, flooring Hemi got me up to 100MPH very fast, but I had to floor it and then some on the ecodiesel, and then wait for turbos to kick in and then it went up , still noticeable to get past 80MPH.

Now, the cabin IMO was quieter in the ED - the doors closed with more of a "thud" - I bet better insulation. Mileage and reliability (ED having a german tranny too, supposedly heavy duty compared to hemi) ..... well thats my gamble.
It’s the same 8-speed ZF as the HEMI-equipped trucks (and same as you’ll find in the 6.4L-powered 2500s, too).

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I would say Similar NOT same - when you build a Hemi the transmission line says "BUY US" and when you build Ecodiesel the transmission line says "Buy German" - was told that Ecodiesel tranny is indeed german - perhaps for extra torque ???

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
In this video, ED stands for "Ere*@ile Disfunction" seeing how it failed to perform... :p :p :p

VernDiesel

Reaction score
alamigirian what was the gear in the truck you test drove 3.21, 3.55 or 3.92?

Some different tuning & shifting points etc in the diesel version of the 8 speed. It was German assembled instead of us assembled in the 4th gen. Don’t know about now. My 3.92 never had any lag even before my GDE engine & transmission tunes.

BTW 630,000 miles now on my TT pulling ED transmission with never a rebuild or repair. Knocking on wood.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
alamigirian what was the gear in the truck you test drove 3.21, 3.55 or 3.92?

Some different tuning & shifting points etc in the diesel version of the 8 speed. It was German assembled instead of us assembled in the 4th gen. Don’t know about now. My 3.92 never had any lag even before my GDE engine & transmission tunes.

BTW 630,000 miles now on my TT pulling ED transmission with never a rebuild or repair. Knocking on wood.

I test drove 3.92 - most if not all of the ED on the lots are 3.92. There was someone on the forums here who had ordered an ED early on with 3.21 , not sure what he exactly got.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
talked to someone at FCA yesterday . H told me you can order any rearend with any trim but because most are sent out with 3.92s it automatically goes to it when configuring online.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s the same 8-speed ZF as the HEMI-equipped trucks (and same as you’ll find in the 6.4L-powered 2500s, too).
See above about similar - the US version is built under a licensing agreement and has a few mods for production efficiency. The German one is the "original".
Also, the 6.4/2500 is a mildly enhanced version...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
See above about similar - the US version is built under a licensing agreement and has a few mods for production efficiency. The German one is the "original".
Also, the 6.4/2500 is a mildly enhanced version...
Curious as to specs / info on differentiation in the 2500, if you’ve got them.

Skud

Reaction score
My 3.92 does not give me any lag that I am concerned with. Seems to get up and go pretty well to me.

How about when doing a rolling stop? Say a right or left turn through an intersection? My 15 eco diesel was very laggy in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread