5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rake on a truck is worth

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Nah. If everything else is left alone, i.e., bone stock, a leveling kit will cost you 2 mpg max. With $1.25 gas that'll run ya a bit over $5 a tank.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll be finding out for myself in a couple weeks when I put 2" lowering springs in the rear. I'm thinking bigger tires affect mpg more than anything else. The rake is to compensate for heavy bed loads so the suspension doesn't bottom out, also keeping weight on the front end. The steering and braking wont get "light"

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I'll be finding out for myself in a couple weeks when I put 2" lowering springs in the rear. I'm thinking bigger tires affect mpg more than anything else. The rake is to compensate for heavy bed loads so the suspension doesn't bottom out, also keeping weight on the front end. The steering and braking wont get "light"

when i went from stock tires to 35 i noticed little mpg difference, raising the front 2 inches will cost you 3 mpg

Scram1500

Reaction score
when i went from stock tires to 35 i noticed little mpg difference, raising the front 2 inches will cost you 3 mpg
I gotcha, my mind was thinking the other direction. I'm lowering the rear to achieve level so it should be interesting to see what happens to the mpg

Bubba33

Reaction score
I have it a inch higher in the rear,with leveling struts and rear spacer. Mpg didn't change. On my 16 I did the front spacers only and lost 2 to 3 mpg. I pulled them off for that reason and it rode rough over bumps.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nah. If everything else is left alone, i.e., bone stock, a leveling kit will cost you 2 mpg max. With $1.25 gas that'll run ya a bit over $5 a tank.
Of course you realize those prices are only temporary. From what I’ve been reading, gas prices will go much higher than what they were before all this crap happened. Oil producers slashing production, and refineries following suit. We’re seeing an artificial oil glut, and will probable face an artificial oil shortage once everything wakes back up. Hope that doesn’t happen, but hope is not a plan.

I’m still waiting to see prices come down much. I’m still seeing $2.40/gal where I live.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Not that it’s a huge deal but gas just jumped from 1.63 to $1.77 (same I-40 truck stop) In one day. It’s still cheap however it will go up.

Leveling is fine as far as a look however what I don’t get are the guys driving around with the front significantly higher than the rear, like an old fashioned propeller airplane from WW2 (tail-dragger). How looking “up” can possibly improve anything when driving is beyond me.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Not that it’s a huge deal but gas just jumped from 1.63 to $1.77 (same I-40 truck stop) In one day. It’s still cheap however it will go up.

Leveling is fine as far as a look however what I don’t get are the guys driving around with the front significantly higher than the rear, like an old fashioned propeller airplane from WW2 (tail-dragger). How looking “up” can possibly improve anything when driving is beyond me.
The Carolina squat , apparently they are imitating the trucks that do the mud running . They raise the front end so they don’t plow the mud .

Scram1500

Reaction score
Lol at Carolina squat

The tail dragger is a strange look, cant be good for everyday handling. Maybe it helps trajectory when taking jumps?

Roddog2220

Reaction score
Just drove 800 miles to Knoxville and back. MPG was 16.5 highway before 2" lift. MPG was 16.5 highway after 2" lift.

Heavier wheels and tires are going to affect you far more.

not in my case, unless my computer is reading wrong, i just got 18mpg highway on 35 inch tires with my lift with rake

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a lot of factors that go into your MPG's other than just rake or just tires. Type of tire, inflated pressure, road type, humidity, temperature, elevation, etc. Just flat out stating that rake will save you 2-3 MPG's is just not correct.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
There are a lot of factors that go into your MPG's other than just rake or just tires. Type of tire, inflated pressure, road type, humidity, temperature, elevation, etc. Just flat out stating that rake will save you 2-3 MPG's is just not correct.

well duh........

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The rake on a truck is worth

Keeping your headlights pointed where they belong when you put a proper load in.

Hauling a proper trailer without expensive "aids"

Sorry, the proper way to level a truck is to put it to work:p

Users who are viewing this thread