5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Poor Shifting Transmission Thread

Syrio

Reaction score
I am experiencing a rough shift when decelerating and the truck shifts from 6th to 5th. Every time into 5th it lurches the truck slightly. I feel it has only started in the last 5000km . I now have 23000 kms on the truck. Also the other day for the 2nd time I had the issue where I shifted into drive and the truck would not go anywhere. Then after hitting accelerator pedal the truck lunges forward.

Nable486

Reaction score
New here!

I’ve hade the pleasure, exempting gas mileage, of driving a 2021 Ram Big horn 5.7L Hemi. I’ve noticed this rough down shifting coming to a stop from 2-1. Kinda like a rolling over the break sensation with a slightly noticeable down shift. I have the 3.92 with as much bells and whistles (MSRP 53k with 10k of that coming in extras). On mine, I have the break control. I noticed today that my towing (excuse me, I don’t know truck language) gauge was set to +6.5. I haven’t towed anything since I got the truck in April. I set it to zero, and what do you know, my rough breaking magically stopped. Don’t know if that’s the solution but I’ve attached picture of what I’m trying to talk about.

P.S-I idle quite a bit so my mileage is pretty low in the picture. Please let me know if this fixes it. Once again, someone from the factory set it or maybe I bumped it, don’t know. All I did was keep on hitting the negative (-) button until it hit zero, road it for 50 miles in town and noticed a much smoother ride.

Attachments

• D213DE0C-2174-4D0D-8C82-76953B92820D.jpeg
    D213DE0C-2174-4D0D-8C82-76953B92820D.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 97BCED0E-CC16-4CDE-B327-235AAEB49E48.jpeg
    97BCED0E-CC16-4CDE-B327-235AAEB49E48.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 53
  • C4994BAF-6A8A-45FA-AD95-78587496B0A7.jpeg
    C4994BAF-6A8A-45FA-AD95-78587496B0A7.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 52

Nable486

Reaction score
I am experiencing a rough shift when decelerating and the truck shifts from 6th to 5th. Every time into 5th it lurches the truck slightly. I feel it has only started in the last 5000km . I now have 23000 kms on the truck. Also the other day for the 2nd time I had the issue where I shifted into drive and the truck would not go anywhere. Then after hitting accelerator pedal the truck lunges forward.
Try making sure you didn’t “accidentally” hit the gear limiter on the right hand side. If you see a D-1 on your shift gauge, keep hitting the positive button on the steering whee until you shift out of the gear limiter setting. You should see only the letter D. I hit by accident pulling out some times or turning and not paying attention to where my hand goes down at. It’s freaked me out not being able to shift out of 1st until I realized what I was doing one day. Hope this helps and if not, I hope you get it answered.

Morenar

Reaction score
New here!

I’ve hade the pleasure, exempting gas mileage, of driving a 2021 Ram Big horn 5.7L Hemi. I’ve noticed this rough down shifting coming to a stop from 2-1. Kinda like a rolling over the break sensation with a slightly noticeable down shift. I have the 3.92 with as much bells and whistles (MSRP 53k with 10k of that coming in extras). On mine, I have the break control. I noticed today that my towing (excuse me, I don’t know truck language) gauge was set to +6.5. I haven’t towed anything since I got the truck in April. I set it to zero, and what do you know, my rough breaking magically stopped. Don’t know if that’s the solution but I’ve attached picture of what I’m trying to talk about.

P.S-I idle quite a bit so my mileage is pretty low in the picture. Please let me know if this fixes it. Once again, someone from the factory set it or maybe I bumped it, don’t know. All I did was keep on hitting the negative (-) button until it hit zero, road it for 50 miles in town and noticed a much smoother ride.
I checked mine today and it was set to +5. Why would it have it set if I never towed either? Even though I think this only controls your trailer brakes. Going to go out later and see if my downshift is smoother.

bob24

Reaction score
Had to post a thank you! The light electric trailer brake was set to +4.5 on my truck and I had the same strange shifting. I set it to 0 and after a couple days everything is calming down and the shifting has massively improved. Finally, a solution! I even had the truck at the dealer three days ago and they said nothing was wrong and simply reset the shifting learn.

Morenar

Reaction score
One thing I noticed is the shifting has got better after my 3.5 SST lift. Maybe the angle that the driveshaft is at now works better?

cervelo15

Reaction score
I checked mine today and it was set to +5. Why would it have it set if I never towed either? Even though I think this only controls your trailer brakes. Going to go out later and see if my downshift is smoother.
Did this end up helping the shifting? I’ve noticed a change in shifting in the past couple weeks. More so in the upshift around 45mph, thinking that’s in the 5-6 gear range. It really revs over 2k rpm’s and holds that for a while, then shifts. I’ve used to be able to let off the Gas a bit and it would shift, but even doing that now won’t push it to shift.

I also noticed going down a steep grade today it would kick down a gear and the rpm’s would rev to maybe 2500. I know there is an element of engine braking, but this was a noticeable, uncharacteristic behavior.

I want to check this setting tomorrow to see if mine is all goofed up. Too lazy to do it now being tucked in bed.

Morenar

Reaction score
Did this end up helping the shifting? I’ve noticed a change in shifting in the past couple weeks. More so in the upshift around 45mph, thinking that’s in the 5-6 gear range. It really revs over 2k rpm’s and holds that for a while, then shifts. I’ve used to be able to let off the Gas a bit and it would shift, but even doing that now won’t push it to shift.

I also noticed going down a steep grade today it would kick down a gear and the rpm’s would rev to maybe 2500. I know there is an element of engine braking, but this was a noticeable, uncharacteristic behavior.

I want to check this setting tomorrow to see if mine is all goofed up. Too lazy to do it now being tucked in bed.
The setting change didn’t help me but the lift seem to help.
Help.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Yep, just checked my trailer settings and mine was at a +5. I didn’t go out for a drive yet to test, but maybe later I can head out and test. Weird how it got changed. Only thing I can say is that maybe the button got bumped when I was cleaning, but that’s usually when the truck is off.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Just to update everyone: spent my entire day running errands all over the valley. I watched the gain setting on my EVIC to make sure it was staying at 0. Shifting was butter smooth and the truck had the old pep back. I really believe this fixed it.

I have no idea how that trailer setting got changed, and I did notice a marked difference in transmission performance the past couple weeks, ever since the day I got the inspection done. It was like it would shift too early, go into Eco mode and bog down. Now it really peps up and accelerates from the light.

Only change in conditions was it was in the 60s here in eastern PA today, so I don’t know if it behaved better because of the ambient temps.

cervelo15

Reaction score
The setting change didn’t help me but the lift seem to help.
Help.
One thought I had was did you put bigger tires on with your lift? If so, did you recalibrate your Speedo? I didn’t recal mine right after bigger tires, but the day I finally got it done, the shifting was way different for the good.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the Trailer Brake Controller solution. I thought that this was a circuit dedicated to electric trailer brakes, but some of you are indicating it could be tied into potentially the tranny circuits, or maybe PCM?

cervelo15

Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the Trailer Brake Controller solution. I thought that this was a circuit dedicated to electric trailer brakes, but some of you are indicating it could be tied into potentially the tranny circuits, or maybe PCM?
I was thinking the same thing and was just as skeptical…but when i noticed a definite change i behavior in my transmission shifting, I went to this board and this thread is what I found. So I figured I would check and my gain was set to +5. Returning it to 0 and the truck went back to the way I’m used to.

Im wondering if maybe somehow it is tied into it, almost like the tow haul mode the truck shifts differently when engaged. I mean one day of driving around doesn’t mean much, but I ll continue to monitor and see if anything changes.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interestingly, I seem to be unable to change my Gain. Pressing any of the buttons brings up nothing in the display. In my Uconnect Trailer Settings menu I can choose which number trailer, and can name trailers, but there is no option to actually pick the type of braking. I am now wondering if my Trailer Controller is unplugged, or maybe has a blown fuse. I have not towed a trailer with electric brakes yet, and the Controller is factory.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interestingly, I seem to be unable to change my Gain. Pressing any of the buttons brings up nothing in the display. In my Uconnect Trailer Settings menu I can choose which number trailer, and can name trailers, but there is no option to actually pick the type of braking. I am now wondering if my Trailer Controller is unplugged, or maybe has a blown fuse. I have not towed a trailer with electric brakes yet, and the Controller is factory.

Try holding the brake pedal down while the truck is running and then changing the gain.

Morenar

Reaction score
One thought I had was did you put bigger tires on with your lift? If so, did you recalibrate your Speedo? I didn’t recal mine right after bigger tires, but the day I finally got it done, the shifting was way different for the good.
I haven’t recalibrated yet. I will soon and see if anything changes. It shifts fine now and Speedo is only off 2-3 mph

Users who are viewing this thread