5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The OFFICIAL Answer......... MOPAR Front Upper Control Arm (UCA)

bradster285

Reaction score
Well I just did my factory alignment and it looks like my caster angle is off quite a bit, doesn't matter for the tires but I think that might be the difference with the Mopar UCA's. Waste of money to change the UCA

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mean you did the alignment with factory arms?

Alignment has nothing to do with it really, it’s more about over extending it and causing it to snap. Plus if your caster is off, the truck may handle poorly. Probably feels lighter and looser

bradster285

Reaction score
Yes alignment on factory arms, the truck rides like stock and it wont over extend. Unless the wheel comes off the ground violently the ball joint will not be coming out anytime soon

Raminit

Reaction score
Ya'll be making my head spin in circles...HAHA!

Planning to install Daystar pucks and Revel links in my new RAM Limited on Saturday and I did not purchase new UCA's. When I did my 2013, I installed Zone UCA's, but haven't heard of the issues on the 5th Gen like I did on the 4th.

Think I'm good to go keeping stock UCA's and rolling that way? My truck is a tar baby, so not like I'm going to be doing much off roading or anything like that.

Did you install the daystar pucks and links yet? I also have a Limited and I’m dying to do the same since my trucks a tar baby also lol.

natew51

Reaction score
Did you install the daystar pucks and links yet? I also have a Limited and I’m dying to do the same since my trucks a tar baby also lol.

Hey Guys,
Installed them today. So far so good! Parking toll Monday till I get it aligned and need to balance tires. Bought through Custom Offsets and they are supposed to be balanced but I have a slight shake once I get up to about 60. Turned out just like I wanted though.

Only tip I have is make sure you take down the studs on top of the strut so that the extensions from the Daystar kit can bottom out. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. Took a buddy and me about 4ish hours as there was a lot of trial and error on the first strut...but all good now!

31379 31380 31381 31382

natew51

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Installed them today. So far so good! Parking toll Monday till I get it aligned and need to balance tires. Bought through Custom Offsets and they are supposed to be balanced but I have a slight shake once I get up to about 60. Turned out just like I wanted though.

Only tip I have is make sure you take down the studs on top of the strut so that the extensions from the Daystar kit can bottom out. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. Took a buddy and me about 4ish hours as there was a lot of trial and error on the first strut...but all good now!

View attachment 31379 View attachment 31380 View attachment 31381 View attachment 31382

One more photo before I put her in the barn.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I haven’t read this entire thread and I don’t know how the early production trucks were built. My truck was built in March of 2019. I have coil suspension but my upper control arms are the same as the air ride upper control arms. Mine have the little nubs that the air ride linkage connects to. Again, sorry if this has already been discussed. Maybe they have always been the same, I don’t know. What I do know is I am not worried about my upper control arms after installing a Motofab 2” level kit and I won’t be changing them out for the Mopar arms that are included in their 2” lift because I suspect they are the very same upper control arms that came on my truck

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

View attachment 31379 View attachment 31380 View attachment 31381 View attachment 31382
What wheels are those?

natew51

Reaction score
Truck looks amazing! How are you liking the 4play wheels? I am considering them for my Limited. What is the ride quality like vs stock? I was looking at Custom Offsets as well and checked out 4play's website. Turns out they are 5 miles away from me in Florida. Planning on going by to see them in person but would love some more feedback :)

Thank you....appreciate it! Honestly love these wheels. I wanted something different and to get away from the large lipped wheels I had on my previous truck. Not that those are bad or anything, just trying something else. I looked at a lot of different wheels and even though the 4Play are spendy, it was kind of game over deal for me when I saw them and talked to their folks.

I debated long and hard about the 22x10 -24's vs the 22x12's -44's. I'm extremely happy with the 22x10's. The offset is exactly what I was looking for stance wise without being obnoxious. The ride IMO is slightly stiffer than stock, but I don't believe that to be the rims but rather the higher load rating on the Ridge Grapplers. It is not harsh by any means and amazes me how well it rides with those big boots on.

Cool that you can go see them and hopefully take a look at the wheels while you're their. Again, this is just my opinion....but I don't think you can go wrong assuming you like one of the designs they have to offer.

GOOD LUCK!!

natew51

Reaction score
Truck looks amazing! How are you liking the 4play wheels? I am considering them for my Limited. What is the ride quality like vs stock? I was looking at Custom Offsets as well and checked out 4play's website. Turns out they are 5 miles away from me in Florida. Planning on going by to see them in person but would love some more feedback :)

Tinted the front windows yesterday!

natew51

Reaction score
I think you made the right decision! Really nice balance of an upper end modern wheel you don't see very often that can go off-road. I also really like the subtle details with the chrome removed and emblems blacked out along with the mirror caps and the tint completes the look.

I am starting with the leveling kit and going to go from there. Since your setup is what I am trying to match would you please confirm this is what you used(sorry if this is redundant)?

Stock UCA? The Nitto's look like 33x12.5 correct? Anything else required? Did you recalibrate for speed (pulsar, taser dt, etc)?

Thanks so much for your input and great job with your build :)

Sending you a DM

paulmtalleyjr

Reaction score
Will you DM with your setup? Im wanting 4P08s in silver!!!!!!!

I think you made the right decision! Really nice balance of an upper end modern wheel you don't see very often that can go off-road. I also really like the subtle details with the chrome removed and emblems blacked out along with the mirror caps and the tint completes the look.

I am starting with the leveling kit and going to go from there. Since your setup is what I am trying to match would you please confirm this is what you used(sorry if this is redundant)?

Stock UCA? The Nitto's look like 33x12.5 correct? Anything else required? Did you recalibrate for speed (pulsar, taser dt, etc)?

Thanks so much for your input and great job with your build :)

UglyMutt

Reaction score
So after reading this entire thread, it has been determined that the Mopar UCA in the lift kit with said part numbers above are the same thing I have now on my Rebel? So really no point in buying UCA's in any lift kit then but just buy the pucks and save like $400 in parts and about the same in labor. I know mopar uca is cheaper but for tuff country and ready lift is like $200 per arm in their kits, and I can get a set of pucks for about $60 at street prices. I measured my Rebel like readylift said to I got 22 inches in the front and 24.5 in the back so a 2.5 inch difference... SO... I guess I need the MOTOFAB spacer kit and some beer.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after reading this entire thread, it has been determined that the Mopar UCA in the lift kit with said part numbers above are the same thing I have now on my Rebel? So really no point in buying UCA's in any lift kit then but just buy the pucks and save like $400 in parts and about the same in labor. I know mopar uca is cheaper but for tuff country and ready lift is like $200 per arm in their kits, and I can get a set of pucks for about $60 at street prices. I measured my Rebel like readylift said to I got 22 inches in the front and 24.5 in the back so a 2.5 inch difference... SO... I guess I need the MOTOFAB spacer kit and some beer.
Good luck to you sir... and to all those who have decided to play russian roulette with their new rides.

A bit of advice if you're going it alone, be very careful with your stock UCA's ball joint, or have options available, it's a monster to get out, no matter how many beers are available.

UglyMutt

Reaction score
Good luck to you sir... and to all those who have decided to play russian roulette with their new rides.

A bit of advice if you're going it alone, be very careful with your stock UCA's ball joint, or have options available, it's a monster to get out, no matter how many beers are available.

Well thank you, I will have the dodge dealership in town do the work since they want to lift my truck for me and this way if my ball joints snap when offroading its covered under warranty, and the beer was all of you guys for giving out all of this good forum information.

R

Rob5589

Well thank you, I will have the dodge dealership in town do the work since they want to lift my truck for me and this way if my ball joints snap when offroading its covered under warranty, and the beer was all of you guys for giving out all of this good forum information.
While sounds good in theory, a warranty does nothing for you 20 miles deep in the back country and/or 200 miles from the dealership.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think one thing is being missed here in regards to guys that are wanting to just add a spacer with either the stock or mopar included control arm. The mopar lift is not an extended strut/spacer lift type of design, so there is not really a huge need for a crazy different angle. This means it will have a different geometry than a spacer style lift. The whole strut assembly is only a few MM's longer than the stock assembly when setup. The mopar strut uses preload syle lift to acheive 2" which will not have much effect on your control arm ball joint angles. This is probably why you are not seeing a huge difference in the stock vs mopar control arms.

I had halfway installed a readylift 2" spacer (not preload) and before i put the ready lift UCA on, i pushed the stock UCA down to attach the knuckle (just to see) and man that was an ugly angle. Even the readylift UCA hit the spring at full droop, no thanks.

I removed that kit and picked up the mopar lift from my local dealer and the front suspension geometry was much happier. Either way, happy lifting...let me know if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread