5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New chevy is growing on me ...(just sayin)

Lucyassault

Reaction score
I prefer the exterior of the Silverado but once I sat in a Ram it was no contest. Plus my price range was under $35k. Ended up getting a 2019 Big Horn w/ 11,000 miles - 5.7L, 4x4, crew cab, level 2 for $32,800. If I had gone with a Silverado I'd have been lucky to get into a WT for that price. Sure I'll take a hit when it comes time to sell it but that's a problem for another day.

I just traded in my Chevy 1500 and have always been a Chevy boy. Never again. Ram is leagues ahead their competitors especially in price for what you get.

The new Chevy trucks look like the rams and get them confused sometimes from far. Chevy is a plastic Barbie model. Looks nice on the outside........ that’s about it. Have to use your imagination for everything else.

2019 Longhorn
- Nitto Ridge Graplers LT325/50/22
- ordered, to be added, 1 inch spacer in front 1.25 inch spacer in back

2019 Can Am Maverick X3 RS Turbo R
- drift brake
- full stereo system
- bumper bars front and back

2015 Cayman GTS
- Soul performance full competition exhaust system
- tune
- performance air filters
- roll cage
- sparco racing seats

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the RST Silverado's exterior, not that I don't like the Ram's but it would be a close tie for looks. Now the interior on the Silverado is terrible, although I do like the extra leg room in the front seats of the GM trucks. From the spy shots of the new Ford, it doesn't look much different then the outgoing model, only thing I saw was a bigger screen to compete with Ram.

Raydar

Reaction score
Without having read through all of the comments...
I don't like the new Chevy. At all. I like the GMCs even less.
When I bought my '19 Ram, a 2018 Chevy would have been a consideration (and would have saved me a bunch of coin) but they were all gone by the time I was ready to purchase.
I'm not sorry I bought my Ram, though.

reidcc

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but I have my thoughts on it.
MY previous truck was a 16 Colorado Z71 Ext Cab. I have it for almost 4 years, and I just never fell in love with it...I disliked it completely.

I really liked the looks of the new GMC Elevation model double Cab, but the one I wanted local got sold before I had the funds. Not much else around. I had to look at the Silverado RST Double, almost pulled the trigger on a silver 5.3 with leather, Z71, Bose, etc, but with the 8 speed. Both Chevy and GMC had bad rides on rough roads to the point the front wheels fluttered or bounce on rough road. MSRP was 51, and was gonna cost me 21 and truck with rebates and discounts.

I was never a RAM fan, but they grew on me. I drove a Quad Cab Sport Edition with Chrome wheels, Level 2 opt, Hemi, Moonroof, and 12 inch display. I immediately noticed the difference in pull away smoothness, ride smoothness, and quiet. It completely felt like a much tighter vehicle, and it also had more style compared to the slab sided GM twins. The GMC looks better (to me) by leaps and bounds over that awful fuggly front end on the chevy.

So yes- hey both have their sporadic quality issues here and there, but overall- I felt so much better driving the RAM.

Chris

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
the Sierras are nice looking trucks, but the interior is so lackluster. ram is years ahead as far as interior quality and technology.

gmc1.jpg gmc2.jpg

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Since this is an old/resurrected thread...

I drove literally everything out there.

F-150 Platinum Diesel - close 2nd - nice ride, could barely tell it wasn't a gasser.

But I drove a Ram Limited (as one of my first test drives) - and everything else I drove fell short in one way or another in comparison.

ESPECIALLY when you get into options - some of which just weren't available in the same "combination", as my loaded Limited (everything except for 4X4 & a block heater). By the time you loaded up ANY of the other trucks, optioned the same as my Limited, they came in SIGNIFICANTLY MORE EXPENSIVE.

Multi-Function Tailgate was the closer for me. The 12" screen another example of where others fell glaringly short (especially if you like running Google Maps in Satellite mode on top and music player on bottom - and still have the screen be legible).

I have a '19 I bought "of the lot" a year ago. Just for laughs, I went "virtual shopping" (since people here are reporting getting what they paid for their '19's in trade-in). I would STILL get the Ram - if I was shopping today. And since there are no "significant improvements" between the 19 and 21 (aside from HUD. And Digital Rearview - which - while cool, would really only be actually useful if something in/on the bed were blocking your view out of the rear window) - I'll stick with what I have.

Yeah - the GM's may look a little more "beast truck mode", but the comparison of quality ride/interior/features/value ENDS THERE.

Rick

reidcc

Reaction score
That Double Cab Elevation a couple of posts back is what I was intent on buying. I wanted the Elevation model with X31 suspension, the Value package with buckets, the preferred package with Bose and Sirius XM. By the time I had $$$ in hand I could no longer find one with those requirements. I looked at Silverado RST double Cab with Z71 and the same options, but it looked very different from the side...the Chevy looked less interesting from the front, and even the sides, although they are pretty much the same side profile.

However- once I drove the RAM it was all over...

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That Double Cab Elevation a couple of posts back is what I was intent on buying. I wanted the Elevation model with X31 suspension, the Value package with buckets, the preferred package with Bose and Sirius XM. By the time I had $$$ in hand I could no longer find one with those requirements. I looked at Silverado RST double Cab with Z71 and the same options, but it looked very different from the side...the Chevy looked less interesting from the front, and even the sides, although they are pretty much the same side profile.

However- once I drove the RAM it was all over...
Silverado and Sierra outside styling and profile.... Totally different. Sierra rules here.

Users who are viewing this thread