5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEW 3.6L Pentastar V6 with eTorque

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The addition of the eTorque mild hybrid system is one of several changes made to the powertrains for the 2019 Ram 1500. The goal: Improve performance, fuel economy, payload, towing capabilities and drivability. Other changes include upgraded TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmissions, strategic weight reductions and innovations, such as quickly heating lubricants to reduce viscosity-related efficiency losses. The eTorque mild hybrid system replaces the traditional alternator on the engine with a belt-driven motor generator unit that performs several functions. The motor generator unit works with a 48-volt battery pack to enable quick and seamless start/stop function, short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in certain driving situations and brake energy regeneration, which improves responsiveness and efficiency. With the engine running, eTorque’s motor generator unit feeds 48-volt current to a 430 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery. The small-suitcase-sized, air-cooled battery pack mounts to the rear wall inside the Ram 1500’s cabin. In addition to spinning the engine for restarts, the eTorque unit also recaptures energy during deceleration and braking to feed charge to the battery pack. 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6: 305 horsepower plus outstanding fuel economyThe upgraded eTorque version of the Pentastar V-6 is the standard engine in most trim levels of the 2019 Ram 1500, specifically tuned for truck duty and rated at 305 horsepower and 269 lb.-ft. of torque. The newest Pentastar V-6’s advanced technologies, such as wide-range variable valve timing and two-step variable valve lift, deliver the optimal blend of power and fuel economy, based on the driver’s demand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSabAgpUAg

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a lot of options listed as "Late availability" but I don't think this is as bad as it seems. I believe they are limiting combinations during the production ramp up to ensure a smooth launch by having less complications. I also don't think that by late availability they mean way later, probably a month or 2 for most if not all of it would be my guess.

We'd all like everything to be available right from the get go at launch but this is actually pretty common practice.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes I hear you on that one. Late availability of Pentastar and Ramboxes. So instead of ordering one in March(end of 1st quarter) I may have to wait until June(end of 2nd quarter) than the normal 12-14 weeks for building/delivery-Sept time frame. Just like when I ordered my 2014 Outdoorsman-ordered in Aug and got it in Nov.

Was just hoping to be the first in my area to be driving a Rebel.
icon_lol.gif

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
2019REBEL post_id=330 time=1518021841 user_id=85 said:
Yes I hear you on that one. Late availability of Pentastar and Ramboxes. So instead of ordering one in March(end of 1st quarter) I may have to wait until June(end of 2nd quarter) than the normal 12-14 weeks for building/delivery-Sept time frame. Just like when I ordered my 2014 Outdoorsman-ordered in Aug and got it in Nov.

Was just hoping to be the first in my area to be driving a Rebel.
icon_lol.gif
I agree, I'd like to be the first one around with either a Laramie Black, Laramie Sport or a Limited, I just haven't made my mind up yet. But since I'm cheap I'll probably wait until the end of the year.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
looks like they dropped the Pentastar V6 out of the Laramie, longhorn and limited build options. I want the limited, but my dealer can't order one with ram box or the V8 with eTorque yet. no word on timing Ed

lowell3170

lowell3170
Reaction score
I want a 2019 Ram Laramie with the Penastar V6, Leather Bucket seats and it was on the Spec sheet for a short time, But they pulled the V6 from the Laramie. So I looked at the Big Horn with the V6, but if you want Bucket Seats you have to take the Hemi and some other $$$$$$$$$ Options. Sorry Ram, I'm not buying any Ram with the Hemi. After I bought my 2013 Ram SLT with the V6, they sent me a Questioner on what I would like in Future Rams and I replied and they did make some changes in the Options with there models. I did have Leather Seats Covers installed at a after market shop ($1200.00). Now I'm ready to buy and they seam to think that Special Models like the Canadian Only or Texas Only or Hemi Only are the way to go. I sure Hope they make some changes in my favor soon. After-all I'm the Consumer.

D

Deleted member103

redriderbob said:
The addition of the eTorque mild hybrid system is one of several changes made to the powertrains for the 2019 Ram 1500. The goal: Improve performance, fuel economy, payload, towing capabilities and drivability. Other changes include upgraded TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmissions, strategic weight reductions and innovations, such as quickly heating lubricants to reduce viscosity-related efficiency losses. The eTorque mild hybrid system replaces the traditional alternator on the engine with a belt-driven motor generator unit that performs several functions. The motor generator unit works with a 48-volt battery pack to enable quick and seamless start/stop function, short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in certain driving situations and brake energy regeneration, which improves responsiveness and efficiency. With the engine running, eTorque’s motor generator unit feeds 48-volt current to a 430 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery. The small-suitcase-sized, air-cooled battery pack mounts to the rear wall inside the Ram 1500’s cabin. In addition to spinning the engine for restarts, the eTorque unit also recaptures energy during deceleration and braking to feed charge to the battery pack. 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6: 305 horsepower plus outstanding fuel economyThe upgraded eTorque version of the Pentastar V-6 is the standard engine in most trim levels of the 2019 Ram 1500, specifically tuned for truck duty and rated at 305 horsepower and 269 lb.-ft. of torque. The newest Pentastar V-6’s advanced technologies, such as wide-range variable valve timing and two-step variable valve lift, deliver the optimal blend of power and fuel economy, based on the driver’s demand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSabAgpUAg
been here done that !

D

Deleted member103

2019REBEL said:
Ugh late availability of the Pentastar. Guess I am going to be waiting.
Fret not REBEL1CANDOBE we got this ! When the time is Right the Force will be with Us . . . and all will be Good, including the eTorque (in my case) . . . I hope . . .
263a.png

D

Deleted member103

Jared Balfour said:
I agree, I'd like to be the first one around with either a Laramie Black, Laramie Sport or a Limited, I just haven't made my mind up yet. But since I'm cheap I'll probably wait until the end of the year.
And in a Perfect World . . . ? . . . never mind . . . that could get VERY COMPLICATED ! ! !
1f628.png

1f914.png
. . .
263a.png
!

2019REBEL

Reaction score
So I just read some numbers for the boost in MPG for the Etorque. V6 is 12 percent and V8 is 8 percent. Gonna have to do a lot of driving to pay for that extra money the V8 Etorque engine costs.
icon_lol.gif

I still want to drive one just to see what it feels like.

D

Deleted member103

2019REBEL said:
So I just read some numbers for the boost in MPG for the Etorque. V6 is 12 percent and V8 is 8 percent. Gonna have to do a lot of driving to pay for that extra money the V8 Etorque engine costs.
icon_lol.gif

I still want to drive one just to see what it feels like.
Or, if you don't "need" a V8, wait a few months and get the V6 (305hp) std. with eTorque and Reap the Benefits right away !?
Last we-all discussed was an across the board "about 10%" but the "Truth" will all come out when the Driving is Done (by us) !

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
What interests me about the eTorque is how it increases towing capacity by providing more off the line torque. I like the engineering accomplishment. For my needs, any 1500 with a Hemi will be a significant upgrade as far as towing capacity goes so I don't need that extra off the line torque. I also favor simplicity, abhor stop/start, and don't care all that much about gas mileage. I would gladly trade gas mileage in for performance. I give the eTorque a useful and somewhat emphatic thumbs up as far as an impressive engineering accomplishment, but for my purposes, I'll go without it.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Kilgy5 said:
Will the v6 be availble in the laramie or not?
There's conflicting information about it. We don't know 100% whether it will or won't be right now.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
That's why I am waiting til August time frame to see if the V6 is available in Canada on the Rebel. Standard equipment on the US one.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Any updates on the availability of the V6 in the higher trims? The 2019 brochure shows it as an available powertrain on all trim levels, but the Build & Price site only shows it as an option for Tradesman and Big Horn.

Users who are viewing this thread