5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The grass isn't always greener

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since I know people that work at Ford and Chevy dealerships, I listen to their stories and it's clear things aren't so peachy over there.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 038492 miles.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I read a few articles about this, took me a little bit to find the actual data.
Its very interesting how most others are dropping, but not Ram or GMC (not including Chevrolet/Buick, which took huge hits).
The ACSI (American Customer Satisfaction Index), like any survey/review, should be taken with a grain of salt, but its interesting nonetheless.
Capture.JPG

Full report is available here:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess we could ask Nissan

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
In 12 years with my Titan and almost 20 years of Nissan ownership I have managed to find at least 1 good Nissan dealer wherever I've been. So far I'm 0/3 with the FCA dealers near me. Granted, Nissan is 1/4 or so for each location, but still.

billfraley

Reaction score
In 12 years with my Titan and almost 20 years of Nissan ownership I have managed to find at least 1 good Nissan dealer wherever I've been. So far I'm 0/3 with the FCA dealers near me. Granted, Nissan is 1/4 or so for each location, but still.
That sounds great. I have never owned a Nissan but have friends with all kinds of stories about their experiences. Like anything, individual mileage may vary.

I was mostly just adding sarcasm to the snarky post I replied to.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will never buy a Nissan! A good friend of mine's wife had a Nissan Altima Coupe.. the driver's door literally fell the **** off and they would not warranty it. Car was maybe 2yrs old and she was pulling upto their house, opened the door, and it fell onto the driveway! The welds for the hinge mount just broke away and the whole door fell off..

Luckily he's can weld a bit and was able to 'fix' it enough to trade that POS in.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I will never buy a Nissan! A good friend of mine's wife had a Nissan Altima Coupe.. the driver's door literally fell the **** off and they would not warranty it. Car was maybe 2yrs old and she was pulling upto their house, opened the door, and it fell onto the driveway! The welds for the hinge mount just broke away and the whole door fell off..

Luckily he's can weld a bit and was able to 'fix' it enough to trade that POS in.
This doesn't make sense. Was it out of warranty because of mileage? Something like that would absolutely be covered by the original warranty if it wasn't expired. I agree that the door shouldn't fall off any car, especially one that's 2 years old. But I think you either don't have all the facts or you left them out of your post.

My daughter owned two Nissan Xterra's and she had zero problems with them. She had the first one for 5 years and the second one for almost 4 years. I'm not a Nissan fan for my own reasons, but I wouldn't say they are junk because of one person's experience with one car.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This doesn't make sense. Was it out of warranty because of mileage? Something like that would absolutely be covered by the original warranty if it wasn't expired. I agree that the door shouldn't fall off any car, especially one that's 2 years old. But I think you either don't have all the facts or you left them out of your post.

My daughter owned two Nissan Xterra's and she had zero problems with them. She had the first one for 5 years and the second one for almost 4 years. I'm not a Nissan fan for my own reasons, but I wouldn't say they are junk because of one person's experience with one car.
No, did not leave anything out and I was there helping him fix the thing.. the welds were poor and popped out. They denied saying that she had backed into something with the door open.. but there was zero damage anywhere on the door, but the hinge area and bottom corner where it had hit the driveway when it fell. He got tired of dealing with them and just fixed it himself.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No, did not leave anything out and I was there helping him fix the thing.. the welds were poor and popped out. They denied saying that she had backed into something with the door open.. but there was zero damage anywhere on the door, but the hinge area and bottom corner where it had hit the driveway when it fell. He got tired of dealing with them and just fixed it himself.
Actually, you left out the part that you just explained. (y) Thanks for following up. Not sure I would have been as willing to stop fighting them on this as your friend. I'd be worried about what else on the car was going to fall off if the welds on one door were as bad as you're saying.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are we going to ignore the reports where drive shafts just fell off, ball joints just let go off our Rams?

Clearly this happens to every manufacturer. When you deal with data like this, you need to look at the bell curve and ignore 1 standard deviation from both sides of it.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Three out of my four children have owned Nissan products, and I owned a '93 Sentra which was the most trouble free car I owned until my 2010 Ram 1500. But none of my family's Nissans were perfect, and one in particular was well populated with mechanical problems.

But I don't think Nissan or any particular manufacturer was really the heart of the subject. I believe the point was that folks with other brand vehicles have issues and thinking one can escape from potential problems by buying something else could be a flawed philosophy.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530338 miles.

U

User_3336

My brother has an 08 Nissan Titan. Still going strong. No issues. 123,000 miles! Like wise, I would never buy any vehicle with a CVT transmission (Altima).

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Had my 2012 Titan CC 4x4 for seven years with only a couple minor problems. Lost money on the extended warranty. The wife's 2016 Maxima SR was a problem child though...

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had two Nissans. The first was a laborers truck my boss sold me just as something to get around in when a woman rear ended my car and totaled it. That little Frontier had 280k miles on it when I sold it because I was tired of a stick. Got another Frontier. Drove it for for over 8 years, sold it with 160k on the clock and got my Ram.

Only problem with the Nissan is that it would dent if you looked at it wrong. But, a new dealer bought the place I got it at and gave me free oil changes for life. The thing looked brand new underneath, no rust and they salt the heck out of roads here. Only ever changed brakes, tires spark plugs, belt and a bearing in an idler pulley. The turn radius did suck though. The Ram turns tighter.

Liked it but just wanted a full sized truck as I am a full sized guy.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to derail your thread.

Back on track: The RAM I've had one experience with the warranty end of things and it was a bad one.. This was mostly due to the service department incompetence, but RAM did take weeks to approve / get the part (back window assembly). This was before the COVID ********.

Both issues will have some weight on my next truck purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/