5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Front End

The Front End design

• Total voters

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been plenty of discussion over the past 2 years about this. We have a pretty good blend of Ram loyalists, first time truck buyer, converts from other brands, and other brand loyalists here.

What are your thoughts on the grille design.

Any other thoughts to add, let me know.

Am very interested to find out what people think.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'm one of the first time buyers.

I thought the crosshair grille looked great and think the new grille looks great. I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't particularly care for the Rebel mustache grille, I think both the crosshair and 2019 non-Rebel grilles look better.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't vote based on any choice there. Was ambivalent about the crosshair and would have bought a 4th gen long ago if it had offered most of the technology of the 5th gen. I still think the DS models driving around look very sharp and slightly better than the DTs but the DT styling did not turn me off. The DT technology and options closed the deal.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cannot get excited about this so-called controversy. The later 4th gen Rams (2014-2018) are without a doubt the best looking light duty pickups on the market. Unlike their competition, the 4th gen Rams always had a much more blended and flowing sophistication design.

Overtaken by the "big rig" styling of the 2nd and 3rd gen Rams, GM eventually tried to capture some lost market share by introducing their chiseled, over testosterone-laden design. But that lacked the harmony and sophistication that the Ram possessed.

Ford took a more stubborn approach by rejecting huge style changes thinking the absence of their mundane, slab-sided appearance would turn-off loyal F-series owners. In retrospect they probably were right. However, to my eye the new F-series design seems continually awkward and even further away from a 'modern' design.

I had two 4th gen Rams and I still find them extremely appealing. But if you already have the best looking truck on the road, where do you go from there? Would you continue the same style like the VW Beetle? There were already Ram owners complaining about Ram getting "long in the tooth."

I find the 2019 Ram style an evolution of a very handsome design. There's still no mistaking its a Ram, despite the claim by some that it looks like a Chevy, which is only just fair if you're concentrating on the front grill execution. The bottom line for me was the complete evolution of the entire package. The '19 Ram is without a doubt a significant improvement on an already superior design, and it's obvious that Ram engineers concentrated on the engineering and capability, and did with what was left in the budget for styling changes.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003148 miles.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I think the 4th gen was one of the best looking trucks to come along it was starting to get long in the tooth and I do think it was time for a change. The 5th gens look more modern and refined yet still aggressive, The grill fits the truck well, While I love the look of the Rebel overall, the mustache grill is one thing I don't really care for.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had my first 5th Gen Ram appear in the rearview. No mistaking it for a Ram. Watched it go around a turn while we were in the straight lane waiting...you could tell it from the side and rear as well.

Kaz

Reaction score
My wife prefers her 2016 Sport... she couldn’t stand the grille on the 2018... Which is why we ordered her a 2019; she liked the exterior of the Laramie being color matched, but preferred the Limited interior, so that was what we ordered.

That said I like the new Limited front ends but I’m not thrilled it’s chrome only... we’d have preferred it color matched along with the bumpers. Something I’ll be looking into taking care of down the road. D117C198-6B8F-4536-B144-070A3009814A.jpeg

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm satisfied with the front end looks, as-is. But, it's a pain in the rear to dry. It holds water like crazy. I've finally resorted to using my Ego leaf blower to get the water out of the grill and headlights.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you had already voted, just pick vote and you will just have to complete your original vote too.

Users who are viewing this thread