5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded back glass leak has happened to me.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Sorry I can't sort thru all the threads that exist about this. The dealer discovered this while the truck was in for other reasons. They say there is mold back there behind the seat. @RamCares is this something that Chrysler is covering since so many of these have occurred on these trucks. Surely they recognize this and help with this. I got quoted $1800.

Sorry I can't sort thru all the threads that exist about this. The dealer discovered this while the truck was in for other reasons. They say there is mold back there behind the seat. @RamCares is this something that Chrysler is covering since so many of these have occurred on these trucks. Surely they recognize this and help with this. I got quoted $1800.

There is an extended warranty for 2019-2020 trucks I believe for this rear leak fix, the dealers ship have this info for you, your truck should be covered.

However, the past it was a glass/frame replacement, now it's just a waterproof adhesive fix, but that should include the mold cleanup.

There is an extended warranty for 2019-2020 trucks I believe for this rear leak fix, the dealers ship have this info for you, your truck should be covered.

However, the past it was a glass/frame replacement, now it's just a waterproof adhesive fix, but that should include the mold cleanup.
He should have received the extended warranty notification in the mail like I did, if not, could be out of luck.
But yes, permatex for fixing the leak.

So I have an update on this. Turns out NONE of this is covered under any RAM extended warranty or my purchased extended warranty. The dealer is saying my truck is not included in the RAM one. And my purchased extended warranty excludes that back window. So the quote from the dealer for:
  1. Full back window
  2. RF Hub and 2 keys
  3. Wet wiring/cabling for RF Hub
  4. Carpet
comes to around a shocking $4000.

BUT here's the good news. I submitted an auto insurance claim for the whole thing and it is fully covered except my $250 comprehensive deductible!!!!! So the moral of the story is RAM sucks donkey d&*ks but Allstate is exemplary. I can't express enough how well they are handling this. If you think about it that leaking back glass is no different than any windshield or back windshield in any car developing a leak. Your auto insurance glass coverage covers it. And any consequential damage is also covered. Like my RF Hub and cables and carpet.

FYI I requested for Safelite to do the window/trim/molding. I have been granted that request and I have an appointment at their facility next Tuesday because they say they need to do it in a controlled environment. Imagine that. A company that is knowledgeable about their products all while doing the right thing. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

I can't believe how poorly RAM handles this as a company. They build a poor quality product then don't stand behind it. If you have a known quality issue causing your customer's high cost repairs that are your direct fault, that is just plain the wrong way to run a business. They have 2 options. Either build a better product or stand behind the one you did build.

Last edited:
So I have an update on this. Turns out NONE of this is covered under any RAM extended warranty or my purchased extended warranty. The dealer is saying my truck is not included in the RAM one. And my purchased extended warranty excludes that back window. So the quote from the dealer for:
  1. Full back window
  2. RF Hub and 2 keys
  3. Wet wiring/cabling for RF Hub
  4. Carpet
comes to around a shocking $4000.

BUT here's the good news. I submitted an auto insurance claim for the whole thing and it is fully covered except my $250 comprehensive deductible!!!!! So the moral of the story is RAM sucks donkey d&*ks but Allstate is exemplary. I can't express enough how well they are handling this. If you think about it that leaking back glass is no different than any windshield or back windshield in any car developing a leak. Your auto insurance glass coverage covers it. And any consequential damage is also covered. Like my RF Hub and cables and carpet.

FYI I requested for Safelite to do the window/trim/molding. I have been granted that request and I have an appointment at their facility next Tuesday because they say they need to do it in a controlled environment. Imagine that. A company that is knowledgeable about their products all while doing the right thing. It comes with a lifetime warranty.

I can't believe how poorly RAM handles this as a company. They build a poor quality product then don't stand behind it. If you have a known quality issue causing your customer's high cost repairs that are your direct fault, that is just plain the wrong way to run a business. They have 2 options. Either build a better product or stand behind the one you did build.

Yup, there has been discussions about this regarding the extended warranties, they do not cover the back glass or leaks into the body, only the factory 36K warranty does that. I'm surprised however with a 2019 that you weren't part of the extended rear window repair list.

Luckily my 2019 has been essentially flawless since new, because I agree, the Stellantis dealership networks sucks donkey balls. Thank you for the update, it gives me another possible route should I have a similar issue one day in going to my auto insurance for assistance.

I fixed mine with Permatex windshield flowable sealer. Worked like a charm. I wasn't about to let a dealer remove and replace my window and damage my truck. I caught mine before it got bad so I didn't have any mold or hub damge but the Permatex worked great and it's been good for a few years now.

Last edited:
I permatexed my 2024 when it was new. I m always putting my hands behinds the seats and carpet to check as I m a little paranoid.

I have a 2019 with no leak or crack yet. I was considering doing it ahead of time, but I wonder if it would be better if it cracked first and get the sealant into that crack instead of it cracking under the sealant in the future. Either way, it's probably fine.

I d do it before, if you look at it all , the sealant probabaly won t get INTO the crack anyway but the sealant blocks it from letting the water penetrate into the area. Just my 2 cent thought. I ran some around the third rear brake light too.

Last edited:
The fact that there was mold growth tells me that a substantial amount of water was there, and for a good period of time as well. My biggest concern besides the obvious (mold and water) would be the electronics behind the rear seat. There is the RF module and Etorque battery pack (if equipped). What I would do is fold down the rear seat (there are videos online showing how, it takes 30 seconds) and then the plastic/carpeted panel that covers the bare metal in the rear of the cab. Lift that panel and take a look behind there. Do a visual inspection to see if those electronics have water damage or if there is currently moisture and mold back there. Once you access the extent of the damage you can decide where you want to start.

If you are lucky, hopefully the moisture did not make its way past the rear panel. In that case most of the water may be behind the seat and likely dripped into the carpeting under the seat. Then at least you know the electronics are safe, and you can direct your focus to locating the mold. You can also pop out the C pillars to see if water may have travelled down the pillars as well. Basically you are retracing where the water made its way to, and target those areas for mold.

I had a very minor leak and the first thing to go was my keyless entry, there was even one point where my truck would not shut off. I had no mold but instanly knew that my RF module was damaged by the moisture due to the symptoms. That's what led me to inpecting and taking apart pretty much everything in the back as I became paranoid about other damages.

Long story short, dealers are useless, I've read plenty of posts on here where the repair was covered but moisture and mold removal was left to the individual. So either way, even when your leak gets fixed, you are left to deal with the aftermath of the collateral damages. Good luck

I have another update. I will start off by saying NEVER let an insurance adjuster inspect your vehicle without you present. Mine said I didn't need to be there and I didn't go. Mistake. So here's where it gets complicated. He goes to the dealer where the vehicle is located. I get in touch with him afterwards and he says the truck is a TOTAL LOSS as it has experienced a "level 3 flood, which is brackish water intrusion above the level of the bottom of the doors, there is extensive mold and rust and it can't be repaired". I am paraphrasing a little bit. First off I live in the Orlando area (100 miles from the west coast and 50 miles from the east coast) and nowhere near any salt water. The vehicle was subjected to 75-90 mph wind and 10 inches of rain during about 12 hours of hurricane Milton. Rain is fresh water. Always. I also live on high ground and do not flood during hurricanes. He also reported extensive mold on the right rear seat. Dumb *** that isn't mold but some left over residue from a seat protector I used to protect from a car seat. It dry rotted over the course of a couple years and left some residue on the seat that I tried to clean but gave up after a while because I really didnt care. Long story even longer, after I got back with the claims department to dispute his findings and tell them the real story about what happenned, they are now using the dealer estimates and assessment to handle this, not even sending out another adjuster to re-inspect. I am waiting today for them to give me the next steps which I am confident will be to let the dealer fix it based on their assessment and estimates (RF hub, keys, cabling back there, some carpet. Window I decided to have Safelite do the replacement, not the dealer).

I'll see where it goes today and report back.

There is something not right here. 2019 and 2020 Rams are covered by an 8 year extended warranty on the back glass and third brake light. When I experienced the leak, the only issue was the wait for new glass. I complained to Chrysler corporate and they expedited the part in two weeks and were very responsive and professional. Candidly, I would have preferred the simpler permatex repair as there would have been less need to tear the interior apart. But it is fixed now and there were no arguments about Ram’s obligation.

There is something not right here. 2019 and 2020 Rams are covered by an 8 year extended warranty on the back glass and third brake light. When I experienced the leak, the only issue was the wait for new glass. I complained to Chrysler corporate and they expedited the part in two weeks and were very responsive and professional. Candidly, I would have preferred the simpler permatex repair as there would have been less need to tear the interior apart. But it is fixed now and there were no arguments about Ram’s obligation.

I'm curious as well. I will probably go the permatex route anyways, but still wondering why people with 19' - 20' are having dealership issues.

I'm curious as well. I will probably go the permatex route anyways, but still wondering why people with 19' - 20' are having dealership issues.
My sense is we are not getting the full story. I don’t like insurance companies but first Ram is evil and now Allstate is too. There is another side of the story here. Plus the rear glass leak is not a deluge of water generally that would lead to mold unless the truck were unattended for months or the owner was just very unobservant.

They are supposed to be. Like many others, mines not covered for some reason.

My sense is we are not getting the full story. I don’t like insurance companies but first Ram is evil and now Allstate is too. There is another side of the story here. Plus the rear glass leak is not a deluge of water generally that would lead to mold unless the truck were unattended for months or the owner was just very unobservant.
You have the full story from me. You either haven't read all my posts or don't understand what I wrote. The adjuster is claiming a deluge, not me. The adjuster mistook residue from a car seat protector on the passenger side back seat surface as long term mold. He is stupid or trying to scam the insurance company (or both) and me. He also said my truck was flooded "level 3" with brackish water. Sorry but the geography of FL makes this impossible. My entire house would have experienced this flood as the vehicle was parked in my driveway. This latest damage was due to the rear window letting in some water during 70-90 mph wind and 10+ inches of rain of Hurricane Milton at my location in Orlando FL. That is exactly the story I told the adjuster before he went to the vehicle. The dealer had already assessed the damage and written an estimate before he showed up. Allstate claims department has already stepped back in and is re-assessing. They recognize this adjuster's "errors". and are working on it.

I am very observant and have been periodically checking for the rear window leak for years. In case you don't know, Orlando is the thunderstorm capital of the world. If you want to study the meteorology of this area you would see why that is true.

Also I can't say why my vehicle is excluded in this so called extended rear window warranty from Ram but the fact remains that it is not. It is excluded. It is included in the CHMSL one though but the dealer doesn't want to touch it because it is not leaking and never has leaked.

What else do you want to know that you think I left out?

Everyone with the original back window and a working rear defrost, just do the permatex.
My replacement window cracked and the solder that was used on the contact tabs crumbled and fell apart rendering the defrost non functional.

Permatex question.
What is the proper kind of Permatex to obtain? I tried a search and did not seem to find the proper kind/part number to use for this application.
As of now no leaks from the third brake light or back window - after most rain storms I check, and so far it's dry, but I fear my luck will run out soon.
Thanks in advance for the information.

BlueHemi1500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back