5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Best On/Off-Road All-Terrain Tires, According to Tire Rack Owner Reviews

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great bargain indeed on those general.
Got them last year for 1000 cash and later got a $100 gift card rebate. 275/60/20
First miles are a bit slippery.
Not noisy at all. And as for looks i prefer it over something like the falkens or ko2 imagejpeg_2.jpg 20220109_125843.jpg

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m waiting on a set of cooper at3 xlt’s. I saw some good stuff on them. I’ll let everyone know once I put them on and drive some on them

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m waiting on a set of cooper at3 xlt’s. I saw some good stuff on them. I’ll let everyone know once I put them on and drive some on them
The at3 get great reviews, i also considered coopers but the discoverer rugged trek but i couldn't find enough reviews or pictures. And my tire place recommended the generals over the coopers

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Cooper’s on my current truck. Excellent tire. Very happy with them.

Last set was the BFG KO2’s. They were excellent new but past half tread were terrible in rain and snow. I won’t be buying those again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Cooper’s on my current truck. Excellent tire. Very happy with them.

Last set was the BFG KO2’s. They were excellent new but past half tread were terrible in rain and snow. I won’t be buying those again.

BFG are utter garbage on the HD trucks/towing.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s good to hear. I’m looking forward to the coopers.

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
I am just about due to replace. Been looking at the Falkens, but the cost is a bit steep. Good to know about the BFG's. I pull a Travel Trailer. Been looking at the cooper's and the grabbers though. I been super happy with the falkens that came on mine.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am just about due to replace. Been looking at the Falkens, but the cost is a bit steep. Good to know about the BFG's. I pull a Travel Trailer. Been looking at the cooper's and the grabbers though. I been super happy with the falkens that came on mine.
no kidding, falkens went up more than other brands in comparison to last year.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Decent article. Only 4 category options though, would’ve been nice for them to issue a second place & runner up choice for each category like I’ve seen before. I wish there would be a ton more reviews that are written 1/3 & 2/3 into the tire life. Too many of them written with only a few hundred or few thousand miles on them. How well do the perform & sound at 20k, 40k, 60k - that’s what we all truly want to know, but have to dig through reviews really to get down to the nitty gritty info. I’ve really liked my Grabber APT’s in the past, maybe even more than my Michelin Defenders. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde that came on the Ram I just picked up are pretty comparable to the Defenders as well - maybe sportier BUT haven’t tested them in the snow yet. Hated the KO2’s but the KM2’s were great. Didn’t like the Cooper AT3 although I still have the Cooper STT Pro’s on my old Cherokee & they’re the best tire I’ve ever put on that vehicle over 12 years. I’ve never tried a new Continental though & am considering the Terrain Contact A/T, if they have the size I settle on.

Conundrum

Reaction score
I'm still debating what tire to get myself. I've had enough of these Duelers. I have a 10 minutes drive to work (all highway/interstate) in Preston County, WV (east of Morgantown, WV). The roads here are crap hence why I get my alignment checked at least once per year. Winter hasn't been too bad the last couple of years. The WRX I traded in on my Ram had a set of Hankook iPikes for Winter and it was a tank in the snow. I think I pushed snow with the front bumper a couple times.

One dealer recommended Laufenn ATs (sub of Hankook) and another recommended Mastercrafts (sub of Cooper). But I'm also considering a highway all-season tire.

I see the Michelin Defender LTX M/S mentioned for "light" snow but not "deep." Winter here can get hairy at times. So what is really considered a deep vs light snow for that tire?

The most "off-road" I go might be my yard to unload some things or a gravel road.

I kind of want some AT tires for piece of mind if things get bad, but I also want a comfy ride, low noise, long tread life tire.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm still debating what tire to get myself. I've had enough of these Duelers. I have a 10 minutes drive to work (all highway/interstate) in Preston County, WV (east of Morgantown, WV). The roads here are crap hence why I get my alignment checked at least once per year. Winter hasn't been too bad the last couple of years. The WRX I traded in on my Ram had a set of Hankook iPikes for Winter and it was a tank in the snow. I think I pushed snow with the front bumper a couple times.

One dealer recommended Laufenn ATs (sub of Hankook) and another recommended Mastercrafts (sub of Cooper). But I'm also considering a highway all-season tire.

I see the Michelin Defender LTX M/S mentioned for "light" snow but not "deep." Winter here can get hairy at times. So what is really considered a deep vs light snow for that tire?

The most "off-road" I go might be my yard to unload some things or a gravel road.

I kind of want some AT tires for piece of mind if things get bad, but I also want a comfy ride, low noise, long tread life tire.
We're talking in the other thread also, but it is interesting that tirerack has in their LTX description in all caps that this is not a snow tire, most likely because all of us are buying it for the best all year long high mileage snow capable tire. We get lake effect snow up to 20"/event; the LTX is fine on a fullsize truck. I have 275/70/18.

The 2ndary brands you have listed are going to be a harder durometer rubber, which is worse in snow, and probably won't see the mileage of the LTX. I'm Dutch and old enough to have been burned with false economy plenty in my life; won't be with tires anymore, especially with the Costco price.

Jrebocott

Reaction score
All of the Ram 1500 off road tires that you're considering are good options. I'm running Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus tires on my Ram 1500, and they're great. I've done a lot of driving in snow and ice with them, and they've been excellent. They're also very good on-road, and they're not as noisy as some other all-terrain tires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread