5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX Sucks Down The Fossil Fuels!

Barqs

Reaction score
It's not just the fuel economy, but the need for premium gas that keeps me away from the 6.2L SC and 6.4L engines. I've gone to the dealership multiple times with the thought of finally buying my "toy" only to talk myself out of it with the true cost of ownership. Having the money to buy a $70k toy and having the money to feed it well for the next 5-7 years as a daily driver are two different issues. And with the real possibility of gas going back up into the $3-4/gallon range in the coming years, I can see the rebates getting good on these beasts by 2022!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not just the fuel economy, but the need for premium gas that keeps me away from the 6.2L SC and 6.4L engines. I've gone to the dealership multiple times with the thought of finally buying my "toy" only to talk myself out of it with the true cost of ownership. Having the money to buy a $70k toy and having the money to feed it well for the next 5-7 years as a daily driver are two different issues. And with the real possibility of gas going back up into the $3-4/gallon range in the coming years, I can see the rebates getting good on these beasts by 2022!

Premium gas? Go to Costco :) Their 91 is cheaper than other stations 87 and it's rated Top Tier.

70K would be a rare one, like the 54K Raptor, no one orders them that way. Expect at least 80-90K for one without mark-up.

Highly likely no rebates ever if you see the history of the Raptor these last 10 years. Even now the current Raptor has no rebates (watch what TFL Truck had to do to get the current "old" Raptor). You are not going to get much off MSRP even years from now. And again, going historically what has happened to the Raptor, late model used ones sell for close to MSRP. The only time the become reasonable in price is when they are 7-10 years old with over 150,000 miles or have a salvage title. Even then they are still asking a lot for them considering their age & mileage.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX Sucks Down The Fossil Fuels!​

Estimated EPA Numbers Say 12 MPG Combined For Supercharged Off-Roader...​

View attachment 72772

Just saw an article where Motor trend voted the TRX 2021 truck of the year....wtf. how can they do that when the truck isn't even out yet..? Used to be that they voted on trucks for reliability and all AFTER a truck has been out...smh.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Just saw an article where Motor trend voted the TRX 2021 truck of the year....wtf. how can they do that when the truck isn't even out yet..? Used to be that they voted on trucks for reliability and all AFTER a truck has been out...smh.

They have early production models, TFL truck on YouTube has been doing reviews of a long-term loan for the last couple of weeks already, testing it against their new (old model) Raptor.

Motor Trend (truck, suv, car, etc.) of the year is about the best new vehicle of the year, they don't test long term reliability. That's what Consumer Reports will do later.

This will make 3 years in a row a RAM truck has won "Truck of the Year" on Motor Trend.

NDanecker

Reaction score
If you can wait on the TRX I would. I got a killer deal on my 18 Trackhawk 6 months after people were paying MSRP or above. Koons Jeep had 26 Trackhawks in stock and needed to get them sold as the 19s were coming in. Its all about supply/demand and right now the demand is extremely high and as you know the supply is ... well ... dismal. LOL

Worst part of being first is the vehicle will be worth the same months later when its used doesn't matter how much you paid new (MSRP or above).

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have early production models, TFL truck on YouTube has been doing reviews of a long-term loan for the last couple of weeks already, testing it against their new (old model) Raptor.

Motor Trend (truck, suv, car, etc.) of the year is about the best new vehicle of the year, they don't test long term reliability. That's what Consumer Reports will do later.

This will make 3 years in a row a RAM truck has won "Truck of the Year" on Motor Trend.
That's how it is nowadays....I'm talking about years and years ago where Motor trend used to go by capability as well as reliability after a vehicle has been out on the market. And as far as long term goes...a couple weeks doesn't even come close lol.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
That's how it is nowadays....I'm talking about years and years ago where Motor trend used to go by capability as well as reliability after a vehicle has been out on the market. And as far as long term goes...a couple weeks doesn't even come close lol.

No, the Motor Trend Truck of the Year (also Car, SUV, Etc.) has always been about the best new truck of that year. They have never consider long-term reliability for the award, I think you are confusing it for another award. If you check back at past winners for the last few of decades, you will see it's always been this way.

In fact, the F150, Silverado and 1500 RAM were excluded from this award because they weren't all-new or heavily revised for 2021.

For reliability, there is JD Powers which is usually for initial quality, how reliable for the first few months of ownership. I don't think there is any awards given for durability or reliability, just scores from Customer Reports & JD Powers.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, the Motor Trend Truck of the Year (also Car, SUV, Etc.) has always been about the best new truck of that year. They have never consider long-term reliability for the award, I think you are confusing it for another award. If you check back at past winners for the last few of decades, you will see it's always been this way.

In fact, the F150, Silverado and 1500 RAM were excluded from this award because they weren't all-new or heavily revised for 2021.

For reliability, there is JD Powers which is usually for initial quality, how reliable for the first few months of ownership. I don't think there is any awards given for durability or reliability, just scores from Customer Reports & JD Powers.
You're right...I must've been thinking of JD Power

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
I get 13ish on my Trackhawk, so I sorta surprised this is that "good". haha

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There goes that idea. I don't know why FCA can't make a 702 hp truck that gets decent gas mileage. I mean, c'mon man....its 2020. I'll show them; I'm going to buy a 2wd, v6, 3.21! They can keep their gas guzzler!
Yeah but it does fly in the face of the C6 and C7 corvettes that can simialr HP numbers or more and still get 20 mpg. Even the ZR1 laying down 755hp with a supercharger can hit 19 mpg hwy.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah but it does fly in the face of the C6 and C7 corvettes that can simialr HP numbers or more and still get 20 mpg. Even the ZR1 laying down 755hp with a supercharger can hit 19 mpg hwy.

Sure, but I mean you are talking about a much heavier vehicle with full time 4WD, 35" A/T tires, raised height and the aerodynamics of a brick. A lighter weight, 2wd, slippery aero coupe with street tires has a lot of advantages to mpg. The TRX is subject to physics, and most of it's traits negatively effect good mpg.

AAmes

Reaction score
TRX goes almost anywhere. Corvette has to stay on the road. My father has a newer corvette, and he can’t go thru a driveway or intersection if it has more than a slight dip. Both have their fun purpose; but I would ride in a TRX any day, any time (on road/off road/snow/mud)

NDanecker

Reaction score
If anything the Corvettes should be getting 30 or 40 mpg considering how light and low drag coefficients they are compared to a lifted truck with 35" mud tires.

Complaining about poor gas mileage in the TRX is similar to complaining about low cargo & tow capacity of the Vette, or Toyota Prius. Apples and Oranges IMO.

Boston

Reaction score
If you can’t afford the fuel, please buy one, park it in your garage for two years. Let depreciation kick in and I’ll give you a few cents on the dollar to take it off your hands.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If you can’t afford the fuel, please buy one, park it in your garage for two years. Let depreciation kick in and I’ll give you a few cents on the dollar to take it off your hands.

Good plan except for the depreciation part. If the Raptor & ZR2 are an indication to go by, these type of trucks barely lose any value in the first 3 years of ownership. That's why I pretty much resigned myself to never being able to afford one in the near future.

Maybe in 7-10 years when they have 150,000 miles on the clock and are selling for $45,000 I can get one.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anything the Corvettes should be getting 30 or 40 mpg considering how light and low drag coefficients they are compared to a lifted truck with 35" mud tires.

Complaining about poor gas mileage in the TRX is similar to complaining about low cargo & tow capacity of the Vette, or Toyota Prius. Apples and Oranges IMO.
They can actually get 40mpg if you keep your foot out of them and can manage to drive 55 mph like a granny. Base 2020 is rated for 27 mpg hwy.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Indeed, I used to get close to 30 mpg on highway trips with the Vette. My best might’ve been around 32.

antwon412

Reaction score
Lift that corvette about a foot. Double the weight. Add tires several inches larger in diameter and that weigh 60lbs. Then make the front end shaped like a brick.

Then let’s see what kind of MPGs it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread