5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texting issues

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure how the uconnect5 is in the 22s, but to use voice to text on my 2020, I have to have phone connected using Android auto. It won't do it through Bluetooth.

Let add a caveat. I can use voice to text through Bluetooth, but I am limited to pre-canned replies. I still select reply on the touchscreen, but then just speak after that. I haven't messed with steering wheel controls to initiate the voice commands.
Yes, this. Your phone needs to be physically connected to long press to use the assistant or through wireless CarPlay or Android Auto of your system (Uconnect 5) supports it. Or an external adapter like AAWireless, Motorola device, etc.

Squatch79

Reaction score
Use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and say what you want to say. Not sure if Android Auto has the capability, but I know for a fact that Apple CarPlay does. I use it all the time due to the Uconnect canned responses.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't realize the truck used canned responses till I got a new phone a few weeks ago and forgot to set it up.

AA and Car Play are wireless in UC5, just FYI, for those that weren't aware. So, my phone usually stays in my pocket and automatically connects.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't realize the truck used canned responses till I got a new phone a few weeks ago and forgot to set it up.

AA and Car Play are wireless in UC5, just FYI, for those that weren't aware. So, my phone usually stays in my pocket and automatically connects.
Then the functions of voice to text through Android auto or apple car play should be available using the above described methods. Just have to make sure your phone is set up to automatically launch the carplay or AA apps when it connects to your truck

Fuely 62

Reaction score
If you short press the call button, it uses the built in system which requires you to select a response. If you long press the call button, it uses the assistant on your phone (Google or Siri). A long press means you hold it down until the system beeps and accesses your phone. There is a good reason they changed it, because this is the future. Using your phone instead of what's built in is more familiar to people. Plus, using phones makes it more future proof and something that will be supported for longer.
Okay, so I can get it work by using USB connection, however I have had no luck whatsoever getting it to work wireless. What am I missing? As I'm sure you can tell I'm not tech savvy. Lol 🤣.

Fuely 62

Reaction score
Good day from NC. I have a new 2022 3500 Longhorn srw, not sure I'm in the right forum. Anyway is anyone experiencing the ridiculous issue Ram has created with sending texts ? If someone texts me I can receive the complete text, but to respond I have to pick a predetermined phrase from the screen. This means I have to take my eyes of the road to pick a phrase. (creates a safety issue). I've been told they are working on the issue. My 2015 Ram did not have this problem as I could respond with my voice.
Thanks!
Is anyone who has a 2022 RAM with UC 5 able to wireless connect (without plugging in USB cable) to Android Auto? According to the RAM website this is supposed to be possible with UC 5, however it doesn't work for me.
Thanks!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, have successfully done it with three different phones. Currently using a Galaxy S22 Ultra. What phone are you using?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like you're not the only one having issues with a G7 and wireless connections. Make sure your phone is as up-to-date as possible. Think I read Motorola is no longer supporting the G7. Then try this.

SmartSelect_20221117_223129_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fuely 62

Reaction score
Sounds like you're not the only one having issues with a G7 and wireless connections. Make sure your phone is as up-to-date as possible. Think I read Motorola is no longer supporting the G7. Then try this.

View attachment 144128
I want to thank everyone for your efforts to help me out. I guess at this point all this technology is way beyond this old man's ability. 🤯 I give up!
Thanks all for your help!

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you try going into your settings like I posted? Worth a try. I bet it's just your phone.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for your efforts to help me out. I guess at this point all this technology is way beyond this old man's ability. I give up!
Thanks all for your help!
Are there any grandkids or young people who can help?

ljmwy

Reaction score
I understand what the OP is saying. I traded in my 2016 RAM 3500 longhorn for a 22 RAM 3500 Limited Longhorn. I do not use Android Auto and didn't in my previous trucks. I was able to press the call or voice buttons and say "Text My Wife, Mobile" and the prompt would ask me for the message, then send it. That feature is no longer available. I was also able to respond to texts and now if I try I only get the option to use the very limited canned replies. The previous version was MUCH better.

BTW, we are looking at replacing my wife's car with a 23 Grand Wagoneer, and the salesman said that Dodge has gone back to the older voice to text options... if you can believe a salesman

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I know this is just an out there crazy thought. You know you could just text them when you get to your destination and park. I know, I know.... crazy talk... actually wait and not respond instantly to every whim. Crazy.

If you are important, they will wait.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know this is just an out there crazy thought. You know you could just text them when you get to your destination and park. I know, I know.... crazy talk... actually wait and not respond instantly to every whim. Crazy.

I mean to be fair the technology is in the truck. It's not crazy to expect it to work properly.
May as well just say disable bluetooth calling with that mindset and only allow music to play, you can call them when you arrive where you are going?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I mean to be fair the technology is in the truck. It's not crazy to expect it to work properly.
May as well just say disable bluetooth calling with that mindset and only allow music to play, you can call them when you arrive where you are going?
Haha! You just need to be important. 😎

6of36

Reaction score

We know you don't have any friends, and just drive to the next holler, which means you don't drive more than 5 minutes, so your cousin wife can wait, but some of us are on the road for 3 or 4 hours, without stopping, and have friends who text us. The technology was there. it was stupid to remove it.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
We know you don't have any friends, and just drive to the next holler, which means you don't drive more than 5 minutes, so your cousin wife can wait, but some of us are on the road for 3 or 4 hours, without stopping, and have friends who text us. The technology was there. it was stupid to remove it.
Lol! I will do that while you wait for Elon to buy Ram for the next upgrade. I guess some have the desperate need for attention. Direct link is the next step. Cyborg Ram! elon-musk-neuralink_startuptalky.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread