5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texting issues

Fuely 62

Reaction score
Good day from NC. I have a new 2022 3500 Longhorn srw, not sure I'm in the right forum. Anyway is anyone experiencing the ridiculous issue Ram has created with sending texts ? If someone texts me I can receive the complete text, but to respond I have to pick a predetermined phrase from the screen. This means I have to take my eyes of the road to pick a phrase. (creates a safety issue). I've been told they are working on the issue. My 2015 Ram did not have this problem as I could respond with my voice.
Thanks!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's that way on my 2020 1500. But I use Android Auto so I don't have that issue anymore.

Fuely 62

Reaction score
It's that way on my 2020 1500. But I use Android Auto so I don't have that issue anymore.
I also am using Android auto, but you still can't respond unless you pick a predetermined phrase from screen.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They aren't working on the issue. I had the same surprise when I upgraded from my 2015 to 2020. I called and they told me that RAM customers wanted to use Android Auto/Apple Carplay for that function and that's why it was removed.
Total BS in my opinion but it is what it is.
In reality your smartphone via Android auto, Carplay, or Stand alone works better and less tedious than the built in did and as a bonus, you don't need to subscribe to Uconnect (Or Guardian) for it to work unlike on the previous Gen.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the 22 operates like the 20, the OP is quick taping the call button which brings up the Uconnect system,. He needs to Long press on that button until Google on the Android Auto screen is activated.

Fuely 62

Reaction score
They aren't working on the issue. I had the same surprise when I upgraded from my 2015 to 2020. I called and they told me that RAM customers wanted to use Android Auto/Apple Carplay for that function and that's why it was removed.
Total BS in my opinion but it is what it is.
In reality your smartphone via Android auto, Carplay, or Stand alone works better and less tedious than the built in did and as a bonus, you don't need to subscribe to Uconnect (Or Guardian) for it to work unlike on the previous Gen.
I agree,total BS. I've been bitching to customer care and their answer was we're going to give you a free service contract for one year.
Imagine one free oil change, wow wasn't that mighty big of them.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the 22 operates like the 20, the OP is quick taping the call button which brings up the Uconnect system,. He needs to Long press on that button until Google on the Android Auto screen is activated.
I don't use AA but to be clear the 22s and the 20s have completely different systems.
UConnect 5 is in 2022s and the 2021s and olders have UConnect4.

That said it might be the same keybind by chance. Android Auto is generally limited by the android device, not the radio (which is the whole point of it)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Imagine if you bought a new Chevy where you can't even get text notifications, let alone listen to them on the radio, or even think of responding if you have an iPhone

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't use AA but to be clear the 22s and the 20s have completely different systems.
UConnect 5 is in 2022s and the 2021s and olders have UConnect4.

That said it might be the same keybind by chance. Android Auto is generally limited by the android device, not the radio (which is the whole point of it)
I was only talking about the Call button. I'm aware of the fundamental differences between Uconnect 4 and 5 but I'm betting the Call Button works the same way.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also use AA and have no issue responding with my own voice texts.

Fuely 62

Reaction score
I also use AA and have no issue responding with my own voice texts.
Am curious as to the sequence you use to respond with what ever you speak, are you using Google assistant ? My very reason for this post was to find out if someone else had an alternative to my issue. Thanks.

Fuely 62

Reaction score
Seems the simple solution would be to have only one phrase to choose from. Have it say, "I'm driving and can't text back right now. Call me. My Bluetooth works."
Another solution would have been not spent $50K and kept my 15 RAM that the texting worked flawless.

Fuely 62

Reaction score
Not true. I respond with my voice all the time.
Okay, that is what I'm trying to solve. Any help would be appreciated. Your sequence to do so. Do you have the Google assistant app on your phone ? I surely must be missing something here. Thanks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another solution would have been not spent $50K and kept my 15 RAM that the texting worked flawless.
Not sure how the uconnect5 is in the 22s, but to use voice to text on my 2020, I have to have phone connected using Android auto. It won't do it through Bluetooth.

Let add a caveat. I can use voice to text through Bluetooth, but I am limited to pre-canned replies. I still select reply on the touchscreen, but then just speak after that. I haven't messed with steering wheel controls to initiate the voice commands.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am curious as to the sequence you use to respond with what ever you speak, are you using Google assistant ? My very reason for this post was to find out if someone else had an alternative to my issue. Thanks.

Yes, I use Google Assistant.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you short press the call button, it uses the built in system which requires you to select a response. If you long press the call button, it uses the assistant on your phone (Google or Siri). A long press means you hold it down until the system beeps and accesses your phone. There is a good reason they changed it, because this is the future. Using your phone instead of what's built in is more familiar to people. Plus, using phones makes it more future proof and something that will be supported for longer.

Users who are viewing this thread