5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text notification way too loud

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Decided to make this its own thread as it may be different than the phone ring one. The voice that says “new text message from” is at level 15 and won’t turn down. I turn it down when she talks but next notification it comes back at volume 15. Looked through phone and ram settings. Can’t find anything.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's all bluetooth related. Early suspicions are the May 4th update will address the horrible bluetooth volume issues.

gmab

Reaction score
I was playing with this recently and I'm sure you've found out the same thing.
If you turn the volume up, say to 25, it will stay at 25. However, if you turn it down below 15 (ie: 8) then it will automatically reset to 15. It's like 15 is the minimum volume setting and as we've discovered can still be too loud.
...and no I don't think the min volume setting is user adjustable.

BTW; my incoming phone ring is wayyyy tooo loud. I haven't played with it yet but would like to turn that one down as well.

Last edited:

reigninslayer

Reaction score
Glad I’m not the only one annoyed by this little quirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratchetman

Reaction score
I'm sitting in my truck right now trying to figure it out and same problem. Goes back to 15 automatically

gmab

Reaction score
I'm sitting in my truck right now trying to figure it out and same problem. Goes back to 15 automatically
I reached out to customer care and their suggestion was to enable Do Not Disturb. :mad: Seriously?

Anyway, I've found that I can live with the text notifications but the incoming ring volume is crazy loud with HK system. I installed a progressive ring tone on my phone so it starts soft and builds from there. Bit of a hack but works great.

reigninslayer

Reaction score
Wait until you get an emergency alert on your phone while connected to your truck. We had some local heavy rains yesterday and while I was driving I got an alert due to possible flooding from local streams and rivers. It scared the crap out of me it was so loud. Hey @RamCares please look into the ‘phone volume defaults to level 15’ issue.

Thatsme06

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with mine I've had it in the shop a couple times for different things since March and had them look at this as well. They cannot seem to figure it out, its honestly ridiculous and not acceptable. I have the 8.4 Uconnect with navigation but base 6 speaker system and it resets back to volume 13 every time for text, ring, GPS, or in call volume only on Bluetooth. I have to adjust it to volume 1 while talking and its still too loud but works just fine when plugged in with android auto.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I noticed this on Father's Day. I was driving with Amazon Music playing at modest volume, plus Waze navigation prompts adjusted just right. My oldest daughter rang me, and I nearly jumped out of my seat with the ring volume. On the drive home, I got a severe weather text, same super loud volume. If there's a way to adjust it, set it and forget it, I'm game.

Repsol69

Reaction score
What about turning the volume down on the phone before plugging it in ??

Thatsme06

Reaction score
It's over Bluetooth so its not plugged in. If I have my phone plugged in and the wife gets a message it screams at you. But its ridiculous to have to keep turning Bluetooth off every time you get in the vehicle as its connected to her watch. Been to the dealership probably 6 times and no updates work it doesn't matter what you have the volume set to. The phone automatically adjusts back every time. The whole thing seems easily fixable through an update but they just can't get it. Does anyone here have the 8.4 Navigation and not have this issue? If so do you have apple or android?

Sgoodwin1

Reaction score
I have an iPhone and the 8.4 Uconnect and when connected to Bluetooth the volume will reset to 15 and it’s definitely too loud at that level....the funny thing is I had a 2019 scatpack with the same Uconnect and never had this problem

Iabowhntr

Reaction score
Dumbest fix ever .. while the phone is ringing .. turn down the radio volume ... it remembers where you left it ... it’s what i did and has worked perfectly since ...

gmab

Reaction score
Dumbest fix ever .. while the phone is ringing .. turn down the radio volume ... it remembers where you left it ... it’s what i did and has worked perfectly since ...
Mine doesn't remember as well.

reigninslayer

Reaction score

This does not work.

Rich

Reaction score
There is no 'Fix'! I went through a long discussion with Ram Cares and my dealer trying to get this take care of.

Basically, it works as designed and Ram Cares told me that unless they get thousands of complaints, they won't even consider to change it. This is too bad as it really makes a few features of the truck to be too annoying to actually use on a daily basis as every time you go to use it, your ears are blasted bye the voice being much TOO LOUD!

It uses the same setting for navigation, text messages, speed alerts, etc.

If you get into the truck and while it's talking for the first time after turning on the radio, and turn the dial down to something that is reasonable. (if the windows are closed, 2 is about acceptable. If the windows are open perhaps a setting of 4 or 6 is ok), then it will stay that way until you shut off the truck and start it again sometime later (a varied delay is needed). If your volume level is above 15, it will remember your choice, but if you select any volume level below 15, it will default to 15 upon restart.

This appears to be a 'feature' to prevent people from turning their notification volume down to zero. and then missing voice announcements the next time the truck is used because the volume was at zero.

To fix this, it would require new software to allow the truck to keep the user's choice of a volume setting if the current volume is above 1, and then perhaps have an ON/OFF setting to allow the truck to reset it upon the next start. Or a "starting volume" setting, and let a user choose what volume they are comfortable with. No doubt, 15 is MUCH too loud!

I found this when trying to use the "Speed Limit Warning" feature where it would announce if you are going XX MPH over the current speed limit (per the Navigation system). Unfortunately it turned out to be MUCH too loud and was annoying! So my work around is to only announce the speed limit if I'm somehow exceeding 25 MPH over the speed limit (then I deserve to be loudly told about it).

MrCuervoRacing

Reaction score
I had this issue on our holiday trip with the extreme excessive ringer or notification.... jump nnm out of your seat loud... Basically brought on by having multiple apps running and multiple phones connected..
Waze, pandora a phone call and text crashed it. Audio volume was high for a few days (5 was equivalent to 15) and distorted. Voice recognition did not work and the navigation prompts were silent. Calls clarity was very very poor....tried reset and calls to Uconnect..
2 days later it fixed itself. And fine since

ervoneal

Reaction score
Has anyone tried deleting their paired phone from the Bluetooth settings, turning down the volume on your phone to say 25%, and then pairing it again with your truck? Bluetooth remembers the volume setting on your phone at the time your phone was paired. So if the volume on your phone ringer was turned all the way up when you initially paired the phone, the stereo in your truck may be receiving it as a much stronger signal in terms of volume than it gets from other sources. No expert, just a guess based on my experience.

I had the opposite problem with my Harley. When listening to music on my bike via Bluetooth, the volume on my bike had to be cranked up just to hear the music. Then inevitably I would switch to something else like the radio forgetting to turn the volume back down ahead of time and the sound would be deafening. On a forum, someone suggested deleting the phone and pairing it again at a different volume. Once I deleted it from my bike, turned up the volume on my phone and then paired it again, the problem was solved.

Users who are viewing this thread