5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove yesterday impressions

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, as far as electronics, there's not much BRAND NEW... except 360 surround camera and 12" screen. Most of the other systems have been around a while on the Ram and other vehicles and have been proven to be safe and reliable. Done. Next.

It's true the backup sensors are probably overly sensitive and some have reported false activations. Understand though... these parking sensors are unrelated to the radar used for adaptive cruise. Adaptive cruise has been FAULTLESS. I can't recall a single complaint post here... nor on the Durango forums... nor on the Charger/300 forums.

When backing out of my driveway in my Durango, my backup sensors activate on my gate posts and yank on the brakes. The 2nd time it did this I turned off the brake function; the chime and lights still come on but no brakes.

The world isn't perfect, my friend. I know I know $60k truck... it should be flawless... yada yada: refer the the first sentence.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I’m not counting out the truck, it is something I noticed.

It’s great they let you disable the actual forced stop.

I’m not biased and the ram overall is neck and shoulders above the competition. But I have 3 kids. The safety features are important when my wife will be driving it probably more than I would with the 3 kids. As technology advances you are just as risk if something doesn’t work right.

Let’s be clear. I understand that there will be quirks, kinks etc. nothing is perfect, bla bla

I’m just pointing out along with apparent other users that it’s flawed. How flawed is irrelevant to your needs. Disable the features cool. Way to go. It’s still there and you choose to avoid it.

You disabled something that should work fine and works for practically every brand since it’s inception. Does that flaw make or break the vehicle? No. But it’s something to be cautious about. It’s something to research and make sure it isn’t prevalent in the other features contained in the same system

Hence why I brought it up in the first place. I’m clearly not the only one.

Does it not cross your mind that hey, peridaically this thing slams my breaks with nothing behind me but level pavement, will this maybe just slam me at 70mph like someone else almost had. These are things to consider

In the ends, it might not be “flawed” and just as someone else said as default over sensitive to give you extra safety net of not hitting something as you backup and just needs configuration.

If it’s not the same across the board, it’s a flaw in my eyes. For example the speaker problems. Unless all speakers are performing almost identical and then some people were discovering it’s not powerful and released a patch for it. That’s a flaw. If all of these trucks aren’t slamming on empty pavement. Then it’s a flaw lol

It’s not going to break me from getting a truck, But you bet my *** I’ll question it when this is not a problem on the competition. This brings it to rams attention to address

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the feature of what it does. I'm saying that it's flawed. It shouldn't detect anything behind you and slam your breaks, period. Sure, we can go through and disable it, maybe the other member is right and you can reduce its sensitivity, maybe it just is over sensitive. My first impression after this being my 6th vehicle with that feature, it's severely flawed and makes me start to question OTHER features of the vehicle. I get it, I get it.... the first-year design, they have quirks. But this technology isn't new, nor is it new to RAM.

Off the lot in a $50K+ vehicle, you shouldn't be detecting anything and slamming. It's something RAM should address, the whole point of the backup sensor is to help you backup, if you're disabling it, you're wasting your money in areas that are not functional..
If mine detects a kid shooting past my rear bumper on a bike while I’m backing up, I sure as heck want it slamming on the brakes! I agree that it is a little too sensitive right now...but I can live with that and hope for a minor sensitivity adjustment in the future.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
If mine detects a kid shooting past my rear bumper on a bike while I’m backing up, I sure as heck want it slamming on the brakes! I agree that it is a little too sensitive right now...but I can live with that and hope for a minor sensitivity adjustment in the future.

I'd be okay with that as well. People aren't getting that it did this with nothing behind me, in an empty parking lot, level ground, notta. I'm okay if the sensor picks something up and causes it to slam. I'm not okay that it didn't beep , warn or anything. Just slammed the breaks so hard that it jerked all of us and left a foul smell on the brakes lol.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be okay with that as well. People aren't getting that it did this with nothing behind me, in an empty parking lot, level ground, notta. I'm okay if the sensor picks something up and causes it to slam. I'm not okay that it didn't beep , warn or anything. Just slammed the breaks so hard that it jerked all of us and left a foul smell on the brakes lol.
Yeah, that’s something I haven’t experienced. It seems very sensitive to changes in incline (e.g. steep driveways), especially if the truck is lowered to Aero or Entry/Exit mode. It also seems to be sensitive to adjacent objects to the side - as if it considers the width to the tip of the truck mirrors in its danger zone. I park very close to one side of my garage, and my mirror clears the door by 1” or so. I need to keep light brake engagement when backing out, or I risk the system kicking in to (presumably) protect my mirror.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s something I haven’t experienced. It seems very sensitive to changes in incline (e.g. steep driveways), especially if the truck is lowered to Aero or Entry/Exit mode. It also seems to be sensitive to adjacent objects to the side - as if it considers the width to the tip of the truck mirrors in its danger zone. I park very close to one side of my garage, and my mirror clears the door by 1” or so. I need to keep light brake engagement when backing out, or I risk the system kicking in to (presumably) protect my mirror.

Even that. There was nothing to the side of us either. I parked direclty behind another vehile, there was no other vehicle in any direction within 300 feet lol.

Users who are viewing this thread