5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove yesterday impressions

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Been looking at a Laramie for a while and doing a considerable amount of test drives as most of the dealers here are stingy and basically let you go around the block and that’s it.

The sales rep I worked with was great and let me go where I pleased

Anyways, the v6 Etorque was barely noticeable at all. Super impressed with it.

The other v8 I drove, the stupid thing slammed on the breaks when we were backing op for no reason.....

Also, the hood would not latch at all. This is my 3rd test drive and noticing the fit/finish issues like a hood and that technology issues like slamming while backing up even with nothing there is scary.

What if it did it while it was on adaptive cruise control and it slams in 70 mph traffic?

Little nervous continuing to look at the 2019 with that flaw. Does anyone know if the January uconnect patch addresses that?

It’s a huge safety concern

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking at a Laramie for a while and doing a considerable amount of test drives as most of the dealers here are stingy and basically let you go around the block and that’s it.

The other v8 I drove, the stupid thing slammed on the breaks when we were backing op for no reason.....

Also, the hood would not latch at all. This is my 3rd test drive and noticing the fit/finish issues like a hood and that technology issues like slamming while backing up even with nothing there is scary.

What if it did it while it was on adaptive cruise control and it slams in 70 mph traffic?

Little nervous continuing to look at the 2019 with that flaw. Does anyone know if the January uconnect patch addresses that?

I can't help you with the question about patches. I can tell you that the adaptive cruise is awesome!

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Mine did that too in reverse. If I was doing a u turn, or anything like backing in a driveway, where the road inclined even the slightest bit, the system must have though it was a full on wall...and absolutely slammed the brakes.

Embarassing with guests in the truck.

So I disabled it in Uconnect.

They could have programmed it somewhat to correspond with departure angles thatbthe truck has in its stock height position. The truvk woukd freak out and stop at 4 or 5 inch curbs or curb stops in reverse, yet there is a good 10 inches back there. But it would jolt you to a dead stop before the rear bumper got 10 inches from being over it.

I get it tho...what if it was a child laying there. So its a double edged sword. Cant win.

Rich

Reaction score
My driveway has an incline as I back into it. I have to press the dash button to disable the rear park sense or the truck will slam on the brakes on the way up.

It's easy to press the button, but cought me off guard the first few times. I then have to remember to turn it back on at the top. It would be nice to have an option to have it turn off and time out, or the next start to have it back in again. It can be disabled completely in the uconnect settings, but I'd like it on for some help, especially when my GF is driving. ;)

Rototerrier

Reaction score

I've not seen anyone complain of this, and I've not mentioned it since it's only happened once. But, I was driving home on the interstate several weeks ago and was in some heavy traffic doing about 30mph in a curve. Nice bright sunny day. Perfect weather conditions. The system slammed on the brakes.

I could only assume it must have sensed the cars in the other lanes around me and thought I was going to hit someone or that they were going to marge into me. I was in my lane and everyone else was in theirs. It just went nuts and fully slammed on the brakes. Scared the crap out of me. I quickly disabled the cruise and got everything back under control before the folks behind me caught up. Fortunately no one was tailgating me and an unsafe condition was avoided.

Definitely made me lose confidence in the system. I could only imagine what it would have been like at 70. I was thankful it happened at such a slow speed and definitely makes me worry.

But, I've used the system a lot and it's only happened once so I've given it a pass on this one incident.

We had a Honda CRV with adaptive cruise and it never misbehaved. And our Audi Q7 with this feature has also been flawless. Having never had issues out of either one of those, I guess I have built up a false sense of security and just assumed the same for the RAM.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
I'm driving a 2016 Mazda CX-5 and it does nothing like this. I have no problem noticing the curb, I have no problem noticing an actual object behind me. At the dealership, there was no incline, it was flat and the pavement was not rough nothing like that. I mean it slammed on the breaks HARD, so hard that I had the break smell from it ( I could be mistaken about that part as we were parked next to the garage)

I freaked out because I thought I just backed into another $50K vehicle with a $50K vehicle lol. Also, the customization options are really starting to confuse me...

I got quoted for this Laramie, but one option doesn't make sense to me...

Standard V8 Laramie 4x2
Optional Equipment - Leather-trimmed bucket seats - $695? Isn't the Laramie standard with Leather trim throughout?
Includes the full length upgraded floor console. What is this? All the stickers I've seen do not include that.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I'm driving a 2016 Mazda CX-5 and it does nothing like this. I have no problem noticing the curb, I have no problem noticing an actual object behind me. At the dealership, there was no incline, it was flat and the pavement was not rough nothing like that. I mean it slammed on the breaks HARD, so hard that I had the break smell from it ( I could be mistaken about that part as we were parked next to the garage)

I freaked out because I thought I just backed into another $50K vehicle with a $50K vehicle lol. Also, the customization options are really starting to confuse me...

I got quoted for this Laramie, but one option doesn't make sense to me...

Standard V8 Laramie 4x2
Optional Equipment - Leather-trimmed bucket seats - $695? Isn't the Laramie standard with Leather trim throughout?
Includes the full length upgraded floor console. What is this? All the stickers I've seen do not include that.

laramie comes wtih 6 passenger seating/no console standard. the 695 is for a console/5 passenger seating.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had my truck for a little over 3 months. Except for the overly sensitive back up sensor (I disabled it), I have had no issues. The adaptive cruise control is one of my favorite features. I routinely drive from Portland to the coast without touching the gas pedal or brake, even in heavy traffic.

harleyrae

Reaction score
When I test drove my Rebel the salesman warned me of this feature and showed me how to turn it off. When I back out of my drive I turn it off and then back on. I especially like it in the shopping mall parking lots where people, for some insane reason, can not see a big truck backing out of a parking spot and just walk behind you.

3200 miles so far and love my Rebel. There is nothing on the market i would trade it for.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
laramie comes wtih 6 passenger seating/no console standard. the 695 is for a console/5 passenger seating.

Then why is it rarely on any of the packages?

I swear up and down that I look at practically any Laramie it’s not a thing and that option is not on the sticker, ever

NDanecker

Reaction score
When I test drove my truck the first thing the salesman did was turn down the sensitivity of the sensors. At the time I though he honestly just wanted to show me the features but after reading your comments and others I am guessing they know the system can be over sensitive and turned them down to avoid the scenario you experienced. My test drive went smooth and purchased the truck of course. Very happy.

I haven't' played with the sensitivity since the test drive as it seems to be working just fine the way its set. I am happy FCA gives us the ability to adjust sensitivity though. I don't recall my older trucks (or my wife's Audi Q7) having the ability to adjust sensitivity so that is a plus in my book.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The rear assist braking only works while in reverse... it is supposed to stop you if it detects something, granted, some of the stuff it detects isn't an issue, but it isn't an AI, it simply works within given parameter... you can turn it off if it bugs you.

The Adaptive cruise control isn't bad, but the wife's Forester is much smoother than the RAM.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
The rear assist braking only works while in reverse... it is supposed to stop you if it detects something, granted, some of the stuff it detects isn't an issue, but it isn't an AI, it simply works within given parameter... you can turn it off if it bugs you.

The Adaptive cruise control isn't bad, but the wife's Forester is much smoother than the RAM.

I understand the feature of what it does. I'm saying that it's flawed. It shouldn't detect anything behind you and slam your breaks, period. Sure, we can go through and disable it, maybe the other member is right and you can reduce its sensitivity, maybe it just is over sensitive. My first impression after this being my 6th vehicle with that feature, it's severely flawed and makes me start to question OTHER features of the vehicle. I get it, I get it.... the first-year design, they have quirks. But this technology isn't new, nor is it new to RAM.

Off the lot in a $50K+ vehicle, you shouldn't be detecting anything and slamming. It's something RAM should address, the whole point of the backup sensor is to help you backup, if you're disabling it, you're wasting your money in areas that are not functional.....

That's just my 0.02c - I hope it is an isolated issue on certain build dates or something they can patch via a firmware update. Out of the box, though - that is not good....

GoMango16

Reaction score
I guess you need to look at and test drive other brands if you are annoyed with this feature.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you absolutely need these type of features, I’d recommend looking at other brands who may have perfected the system. It’s a first year for Ram so I could see some bugs happening. On the other hand, if you don’t need it, save some cash and don’t get that option.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I understand the feature of what it does. I'm saying that it's flawed. It shouldn't detect anything behind you and slam your breaks, period. Sure, we can go through and disable it, maybe the other member is right and you can reduce its sensitivity, maybe it just is over sensitive. My first impression after this being my 6th vehicle with that feature, it's severely flawed and makes me start to question OTHER features of the vehicle. I get it, I get it.... the first-year design, they have quirks. But this technology isn't new, nor is it new to RAM.

Off the lot in a $50K+ vehicle, you shouldn't be detecting anything and slamming. It's something RAM should address, the whole point of the backup sensor is to help you backup, if you're disabling it, you're wasting your money in areas that are not functional.....

That's just my 0.02c - I hope it is an isolated issue on certain build dates or something they can patch via a firmware update. Out of the box, though - that is not good....
You can leave the backup sensors on and just turn off the stop feature, it will beep just like any other vehicle but it won't stop you from backing into anything. But if the "stop" feature (which can be dissabed indepentently of the reverse sensors) is what's keeping you from buying, then by all means check out a chevy or ford.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Assuming one feature is broken because it doesn't work as you feel it should is not basis to assume there are other flaws in the vehicle. IMO, the salesman did a poor job demonstrating the features on the truck and you should try another salesman or dealer. I am not saying FCA is the best. I am also not loyal to one brand over another so please check out other brands and buy what makes you happy. However, I think you are cheating yourself if you won't look further because of an untrained salesman not being able to show you the vehicle properly.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I went 28 years so far not needing it, and a good 20 years never even imagining it would or could be a feature in a vehicle.

Whether it works or not....frankly I could give a shizz.

I combat park 99% of the time. When I get to a parking place and before I back in, i see the situation, and not 6 seconds goes by before I proceed to back in.

That way, when I leave FORWARD, I can again look and see the situation as its in front of me.

I recognize its valuable and an added safety fearure. But its not like I'm picking a whole nother vehicle over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online