5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove a rebel with an E torque Hemi - First impressions

Borsig

Reaction score
Impressions - Truck seems bigger and less "nimble" on road than our 2017 1500 quad long bed at work. I have no idea why. The hood or center stack maybe? Seems more "bulky" to drive. The crew cab plays a part in this too, I think. The work truck is super long though. You feel like you need a CDL to drive it.

Fuel economy absolutely SUCKS. I could not, get it to pull anything more than 15 MPG instant locked at 70mph flat, cruise, on the highway. On the two lane at 55mph, it pulled a whopping 16mpg instant. Biggest dig, and utterly disappointing.

I don't really feel the E-TQ. Maybe that's the point. The auto start stop is amazingly done, and non intrusive. It's nothing like the system was in the Grand Cherokee we test drove 3 years ago. I like it, and the truck got EPA as expected or better around town. The city MPG at 13.8 stuck in a LOT of traffic on our 30 min ride was acceptable. ETQ helps tremendously here.

The HK system sounds wonderful, but could use a touch more low end. The 12" nav pad was great, I love the ability to split screen, and swipe. The extra large nav screen is very helpful. I like the size. It's safer than a small screen, IMO. I like the ability to turn it off. I also like the HVAC controls on the sides, am not fond of the the Heated seats only being integrated into the touch screen. The steering wheel gets HOT fast. The heated seats are adequately warm, more like my VW, unlike my Subaru which stays on full heat to be warm enough, and then only barely.

We tested a truck with the safety group. I am still not sure on the LKA. The LKA in the subaru is almost auto drive. It will HOLD you in the lane, but in turns, it's too invasive. It's a love hate thing that almost always stays off unless I am in a perfect straight line on the interstate. Otherwise it's too invasive. The Ram, is the polar opposite. I am not even sure it does much. It's there, and does give you a slight nudge I think, but I am not sure it's enough to keep you from crossing lanes if you drift to sleep or something. I didn't really get the chance to test that as my attention was focused on other things. I like when you turn it of, it doesn't put a large yellow warning light on the dash that nags you like something is wrong, such as my Subaru does. Call it my OCD but I hate that light. Lights on the instrument cluster are for things that are WRONG or out of the norm (like High beams). I didn't get to test the BLIS much or other safety features like I wanted to.

I don't particularly like the placement of the shift knob. I like the knob isn't in the console. That's good. I also like it's not on the stalk. But the bump around it hits my knee (5'11" 180).

I liked the tow mirrors. I think they are expensive at 450 and would consider the manual version.

We have not made a decision. I still want to see a diesel, and some more trims. The fuel economy really, really, really leaves a foul taste in my mouth. It feels....Deceptive on FCA's part to claim 21 MPG highway when we know NO one is getting that on a Rebel with 33" and 3.92.

Wife wants to wait for the press to drop on the Tundra Redesign. We don't need a new vehicle "NOW" so, I am mostly in agreement, even though I have come to dislike every Jap car I've owned or sat in.

The 1500 is nice so far, but if toyota tries to compete in the "nice SUV with a bed " segment by putting Lexus touches in the new Tundra and it gets 25 MPG on the highway, well.. The Fuel economy of the ram will unseat it from first place. I want a turck I can keep for 7-8 years. One that can't get more than 15 on the highway at the speed limit might be an albatross if politics in this country and the open hostility to oil continues. It's the one thing that's keeping me from making moves to rid myself of the Subaru and be in one by summer. City MPG in traffic was absolutely acceptable. I was happy with that. Being able to only get 1.5-2 mpg better on the highway is an absolute joke.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth I know fuel economy isn't the greatest on the Rebels, but on flat highway at 55 mph I can get 19-20 "instant" on the dash. Maybe it's broken in, maybe using 93 octane is better, dunno. But yeah if I drove 55 all the time I'd be super happy with my gas mileage. As it is, I usually average 16 in the summer 50/50 mix of city/highway.

But like a lot of other threads have stated, the MPG rating is for the lightest truck with a 3.21 ratio on the most highway-friendly tires. Not a heavy, 3.92 ratio truck with AT tires.

Borsig

Reaction score
For what it's worth I know fuel economy isn't the greatest on the Rebels, but on flat highway at 55 mph I can get 19-20 "instant" on the dash. Maybe it's broken in, maybe using 93 octane is better, dunno. But yeah if I drove 55 all the time I'd be super happy with my gas mileage. As it is, I usually average 16 in the summer 50/50 mix of city/highway.

But like a lot of other threads have stated, the MPG rating is for the lightest truck with a 3.21 ratio on the most highway-friendly tires. Not a heavy, 3.92 ratio truck with AT tires.
I get that. GM (all else I have looked at) downgrades the MPG on the trailboss.

I still like the truck overall, but it reeks of deception. Maybe I am just distrusting, thats how people from appalachia are.

I like the truck, the fuel econ gives me serious pause because much of it's use is road trips to places where 4x4 is used, like, the drive on sand beaches of obx to fish.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Out of curiosity. Have you considered the V6 with eTorque.

Just interested to know if you plan to atleast test drive one.

I have thought about trading our Jeep Cherokee for a V6 quad cab rebel.

Borsig

Reaction score
Out of curiosity. Have you considered the V6 with eTorque.

Just interested to know if you plan to atleast test drive one.

I have thought about trading our Jeep Cherokee for a V6 quad cab rebel.
No. The work truck we have, is the V6. I suppose it's not out of the question, but the FE isnt worth the trade off

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My thoughts on Toyota, and I thought about waiting for the new one as well:

1. Toyota has excellent reliability
2. Toyota's are NOT fun to drive...some of the most boring vehicles on the planet
3. Gas mileage is worse than the RAM
4. Crash testing is dismal...RAM is the only truck approved by the IIHS
5. Toyota interiors never appealed to me...far to much going on and the quality was lacking

Would like to see it get recommended by the IIHS for crash worthiness. Would love to see a LEXUS-like interior with state of the art technology. Would like to see a different engine that can compete in todays market with mileage in the upper teens. For me, the #1 factor in buying anything is my safety and the safety of my family. I would never buy any car/tuck that was not an IIHS Top Safety Pick regardless of how much I love it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread