5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove a GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation yesterday

RedFred

Reaction score
I have really been struggling with what I should buy to replace my current Ram. I have a couple cars for fun, but I'm still driving my 4th gen Laramie as my daily driver. I'm having a really hard time pulling the trigger on a new truck. I have gone to so many dealerships to look at everything from suv's to trucks, hoping to find something that smacks me in the face as the one that I have to own. Just no luck so far. So that being said, yesterday I went to check out a well equipped GMC Sierra Elevation model. It had leather and the 5.3L motor. It's not bad. I will say that it is probably the only other half ton truck that I would consider other than the Ram. It didn't give me that "I need to own this and buy it right now" feel, but there were a few things I liked about. The overall styling of the Elevation trim with the black wheels looked good enough and the fact you can still get a standard V8 with no gimmicks attached (no e-torque). What I didn't like was that it only comes with a 24 gallon tank with the short bed, and just like every other truck, the ride is ok but not as good as the Ram's. Anyone have any thoughts on the GMC Sierra or considered buying one? I know this is a Ram forum, so I don't mind some bias towards Ram. I myself have been driving Ram's since 2011.

Here is a pic of what I test drove, although I would probably go with a red exterior color.
IMG_6260.JPG
IMG_6259.JPG

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have really been struggling with what I should buy to replace my current Ram. I have a couple cars for fun, but I'm still driving my 4th gen Laramie as my daily driver. I'm having a really hard time pulling the trigger on a new truck. I have gone to so many dealerships to look at everything from suv's to trucks, hoping to find something that smacks me in the face as the one that I have to own. Just no luck so far. So that being said, yesterday I went to check out a well equipped GMC Sierra Elevation model. It had leather and the 5.3L motor. It's not bad. I will say that it is probably the only other half ton truck that I would consider other than the Ram. It didn't give me that "I need to own this and buy it right now" feel, but there were a few things I liked about. The overall styling of the Elevation trim with the black wheels looked good enough and the fact you can still get a standard V8 with no gimmicks attached (no e-torque). What I didn't like was that it only comes with a 24 gallon tank with the short bed, and just like every other truck, the ride is ok but not as good as the Ram's. Anyone have any thoughts on the GMC Sierra or considered buying one? I know this is a Ram forum, so I don't mind some bias towards Ram. I myself have been driving Ram's since 2011.

Here is a pic of what I test drove, although I would probably go with a red exterior color.
View attachment 170525
View attachment 170526
The eTorque only was what made me buy a clean, used 2019 versus a 2023. When I replace this truck, I'll likely go Ford or GMC to avoid the eTorque and start/stop BS (which in the Ford you could permanently disable with a jumper wire behind the switch, at least on my 2016 I could).

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded my 2017 Laramie this summer and it was a tough call between the GMC 1500 Denali and the Ram Limited. Ford trucks to not provide enough legroom for me.

Both trucks with about the same options had a similar sticker price. However, I could not find a GMC dealer that could come anywhere close to the Ram's OTD door price after rebates and discounts.

At the time, local Ram dealers were offering $15,000 in dealer discounts and factory rebates and GMC was offering nothing but a $2500 factory rebate and dealers would not negotiate much beyond that because they didn't have much inventory.

Also, GMC annoyed me because they were charging $900 for a 3 year OnStar subscription and it was mandatory. Originally it was a separate line item on the window sticker, but eventfully they just increased the base price on the vehicle and listed it as a standard option; they are still forcing you to pay for their service.

I don't think the GMC's are ugly, but I do prefer the looks of the Ram over the GMC. I actually prefer the looks of the 4th gen Ram over the new style 5th gen Ram.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Dad picked up a 2020 Denali well equipped not to long ago. I stopped by and grabbed the keys.. was a really nice truck but compared and would probably be #2 on my next truck list but #1 would still be my Ram. Reminded me a lot of his I think 2012 Silverado he had awhile ago and still kept that its a chevy identify that I get frequently driving our work trucks. Hands down Ram ride quality was still just better (non air) even with my 34 AT and Bilsteins but I’m sure his leaf spring suspension would be better if I was frequently towing something that and his Denali was just to nice to be what I would call my “work truck” like my Laramie is lol. I don’t think you can go wrong with it. Im sure the newer years are even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RedFred

Reaction score
I typically keep my trucks for a lot of miles, so having to get the Ram e-torque system does bother me. I think that is the main reason that has kept me from buying a new Ram. The other thing about going with a GMC is that I would just be switching it up, so that intrigues me a little. Been driving Ram 1500's since 2011 and put over 300K miles combined on my 2 Ram's. Ram does have better rebates and discounts, so getting a good deal is always a factor also. Decisions, decisions....

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I typically keep my trucks for a lot of miles, so having to get the Ram e-torque system does bother me. I think that is the main reason that has kept me from buying a new Ram. The other thing about going with a GMC is that I would just be switching it up, so that intrigues me a little. Been driving Ram 1500's since 2011 and put over 300K miles combined on my 2 Ram's. Ram does have better rebates and discounts, so getting a good deal is always a factor also. Decisions, decisions....
Setup a saved search on Cargurus with notifications, you'll just need to look at the pictures to see if it has the auto stop button next to the shifter. Avoid those like the plague.

Plenty of cherry used Rams out there, without eTorque.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I've driven Toyotas (late 90s model), F-150s (90s and 2009), Silverado (2018 2500), and the current 2019 Ram 1500. With regards to looks, I've always like RAM's front end and their interior was the best imo.

The Toyota was super fun to drive and I would probably still have it if I didn't launch it off a hill and broke everything forward of the windshield :D The Silverado was a pretty stout truck (was works truck not personal) until the new guy hit a tree at 50mph. The 90s F-150 was good for back then, it caught fire after a few years). The 2009 F-150 was floaty and didn't like towing a stock trailer with two giant pigs in it (was soooo sluggish, not sure why). That one was t-boned in Sacramento by another F-150 that blew through a red at 68mph and hit me at 66mph.

The '19 RAM is the most comfortable on long trips and towing. I like the interior and have been adding mods and making adjustments over the years to make it "better" imo :) I just don't like the front ends of any other current truck enough to consider buying one. To me the RAM still looks better.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m on my second RAM in a row. 2022 Laramie now, 19 Bighorn prior to that. Before that, I had a 15 Sierra. I hated that thing, such a POS. So cheaply made. Drivers seat fell apart in the first six months, and the frame was all rusted out inside of a year. Also had literally 20 little dings all over the hood and roof from acorns falling on it. I had an F150 prior to the GMC and parked it in the same spot as the GM and it had zero dents on it. I could not wait to get rid of that thing. Obviously, the new ones could be better, but I’ll never know because I’ll never buy another GM ever again. Take it for what it’s worth.

Plus, the squared off wheel wells on the GMC just look off to me, asymmetrical in a very bad way. They look nice from the front though.

dnice_1980

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I traded in my GMS Sierra SLT and I put 262k on it. BTW it was only a 2018 (long work commute). I loved that truck but like someone said above, Ram was really aggressive with their rebates and cash back offers. I ended up getting 17k off in total for my 23 Laramie and still to this day wandering if I made the right decision. That GMC never left me stranded not once. I did have to rebuild the transmission around 100K but even then, it limped to the transmission shop. This Ram is full of bells and whistles with its fancy infotainment center, and the power is definitely more than the 5.3 I had. I just hope it can withstand the miles I'm about to put on it. Another thing I'm curios about is the d*mn gas mileage. I saw 19-23mpg on the sticker which was a deciding factor since I drive so far but only been able to get 19 at best. I was getting 21-23 on the Hwy in the Sierra. All this probably confused the hell out you, lol. Anyway good luck with your decision.

n8zcc

Reaction score
It took like forever but GM is finally raising the quality of the interiors on the trucks. The 2024 interior along with the I6 Duramax makes me much more interested in a GM solution when it comes time.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I know I'm breaking an unwritten rule here, but in my opinion you can't really go wrong with any of the half tons.

From a functional standpoint, they all more or less do truck stuff equally well. Sure there's some differences in payload here and some differences in towing capacity there, but for the overwhelming majority of people with actual half ton (vs 3/4+ ton) use cases, they'll likely all suit your needs. Reliability is also generally equivalent across them from what I've seen.

Ram is the longest in the tooth of the Big 3 + Toyota, but is still the nicest interior in the upper trims and has the best ride. GM and Ford both offer better powertrains and more powertrain options, to boot. Toyota offers Toyota stuff. GM and Ford also both push the tech envelope further than Ram, if that's your thing. If you like diesel, GM is the only half ton game in town these days. Ram has the rambox.

Styling is entirely subjective--for example, I really didn't like the pre-refresh Chevy front end, but my BIL thought it was the best looking of the bunch. On the flip side, I thought the pre-refresh Denali front end was the best of the bunch hands down, but I know folks who were very much turned off by its acres of chrome.

And so on, you get the picture.

Honestly, it comes down to what you personally like more, and there really isn't a wrong answer.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a 2019 Laramie with E-torque as soon as the 5th gen’s came out. I drove it for 65k miles and sold it to a friend. It now has over a 100k and has been a flawless truck. If e-torque is the only hold up, buy a Ram, especially while you can still get the V8.

Silas Pelton

Reaction score
The eTorque only was what made me buy a clean, used 2019 versus a 2023. When I replace this truck, I'll likely go Ford or GMC to avoid the eTorque and start/stop BS (which in the Ford you could permanently disable with a jumper wire behind the switch, at least on my 2016 I could).
I immediately bought and installed the auto stop eliminator the same day I bought my 21 Ram. It was fairly easy to install. No problems with the way it works. It remembers the last position that you used it so mine stays off. If for some reason you wanted to use it then you just turn it on and it stays on until you turn it off.

RedFred

Reaction score
It took like forever but GM is finally raising the quality of the interiors on the trucks. The 2024 interior along with the I6 Duramax makes me much more interested in a GM solution when it comes time.

Interior is a big deal to me. And yes, before the interior refresh for the 2022 Sierra, I would have walked away and never even considered the Sierra. The new interior is much improved and is a big positive for the truck, even if it is still comes in a half a step below the Rams.

RedFred

Reaction score
Honestly, it comes down to what you personally like more, and there really isn't a wrong answer.

Definitely no wrong answers. They are all good and all have their pros and cons

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I immediately bought and installed the auto stop eliminator the same day I bought my 21 Ram. It was fairly easy to install. No problems with the way it works. It remembers the last position that you used it so mine stays off. If for some reason you wanted to use it then you just turn it on and it stays on until you turn it off.

I'm stuck with the auto stop on my company car but it's just a simple button push to turn it off

You still have the eTorque system and battery though...

Mystic Rhythms

Reaction score
I've driven Toyotas (late 90s model), F-150s (90s and 2009), Silverado (2018 2500), and the current 2019 Ram 1500. With regards to looks, I've always like RAM's front end and their interior was the best imo.

The Toyota was super fun to drive and I would probably still have it if I didn't launch it off a hill and broke everything forward of the windshield :D The Silverado was a pretty stout truck (was works truck not personal) until the new guy hit a tree at 50mph. The 90s F-150 was good for back then, it caught fire after a few years). The 2009 F-150 was floaty and didn't like towing a stock trailer with two giant pigs in it (was soooo sluggish, not sure why). That one was t-boned in Sacramento by another F-150 that blew through a red at 68mph and hit me at 66mph.

The '19 RAM is the most comfortable on long trips and towing. I like the interior and have been adding mods and making adjustments over the years to make it "better" imo :) I just don't like the front ends of any other current truck enough to consider buying one. To me the RAM still looks better.

I think you should be legally required to have a notice on your vehicles so the rest of us can stay the heck away from you.
Too much chance for collateral damage.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I looked at Sierras both before and after the refresh. I think they are a good looking truck, but I could not get past the seats. Even after the interior "upgrade", the leather seats felt like they belonged in a Malibu rather than a luxury truck. Still a nice truck, just not for me. Good luck in your decision, though, and post some pics of whatever you end up with.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I know I'm breaking an unwritten rule here, but in my opinion you can't really go wrong with any of the half tons.
I'm going to throw a wrench in this, from the facet of vehicle capability you are right but then when considering after-the-sale service support, Ford is terrible. I'm recalling the days of the HPFP on the PowerStrokes and Ford's deniability and blaming the customer. I'll never have a Ford under my butt again. Now, my wife, she opted to get a new Bronco.

RedFred

Reaction score
The problem with considering the GMC right now, is that their deals are no where near as good as the Rams. This is especially true once you consider ordering a Ram from Mark Dodge or Koons. I have been shopping Laramie trim vs the GMC Elevation trim level, and after estimated discounts the Ram comes out less expensive even with a few more options. In the end, price may keep me away from the GMC.

Here is a picture of the GMC in a darker red which is most likely the color I would get if I purchased it.
IMG_6267.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread