5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove a GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation yesterday

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I've been waiting out the next gen Ram, I've been looking at other options (including 24 & used Rams). I looked at a Sierra AT4 and AT4x this weekend. Holy cow that was a depressing experience - from the dealership to the vehicle itself.

Everybody in the dealership building felt they wanted to off themselves, which if all they have to sell is GMCs and Buicks who can blame them.

But I just couldn't shake the rental-car feel on the trucks, despite the $75k & $85k prices. Behind the wheel was such a depressing place to be for me for some reason.

I loved the exterior looks and the AT4x rides really well, but it just wasn't my bag. I went in excited and open-minded and came away repulsed. That can't be good for business.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that the 2024 Rams have the redesigned new part number for the exhaust manifolds, rear window, and the improvements with uconnect 5, I would go with a new Ram from Mark Dodge or Koons for your value of money. The e-torque does concern me somewhat due to the 48-V battery pack not being covered past the 5 year 60,000 miles, even under the extended warranty.

Silas Pelton

Reaction score
I'm stuck with the auto stop on my company car but it's just a simple button push to turn it off

You still have the eTorque system and battery though...
As long as you travel with the tow mode on the engine doesn’t shut off cylinders.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I've been waiting out the next gen Ram, I've been looking at other options (including 24 & used Rams). I looked at a Sierra AT4 and AT4x this weekend. Holy cow that was a depressing experience - from the dealership to the vehicle itself.

Everybody in the dealership building felt they wanted to off themselves, which if all they have to sell is GMCs and Buicks who can blame them.

But I just couldn't shake the rental-car feel on the trucks, despite the $75k & $85k prices. Behind the wheel was such a depressing place to be for me for some reason.

I loved the exterior looks and the AT4x rides really well, but it just wasn't my bag. I went in excited and open-minded and came away repulsed. That can't be good for business.

Really. I actually thought about the At4 if i decide to go the 2500 route.. exterior alone was appealing to me. I think going from a 12 Silverado that I use to drive from my pops to a 14 ram to eventually 20 I got spoiled by Rams quality compared to Chevys. Now had I only stayed driving Chevys I’m sure I would be happy with anything newer today from them. It was hard to drive my dads 20 Sierra and not keep comparing it to my 5th Gen (in my head) but it works for and thats what he likes and doesn’t put a ton of milage on his vehicle like I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reverse

Reaction score
I'm on my third Ram, a 2020 Limited. We still own our 2014 Big Horn as well.

2020 is almost at 130,000 miles now. While it hasn't been flawless, it's been pretty good. I have to say I don't understand the dislike for the E-torque and the Start-Stop. To me, they work very well and are a seamless part of the driving experience.

If I were buying a new truck, I probbaly wouldn't buy a Ram again. The styling has become a little too jellybean for me, I like the Chevy/GMC styling a lot more. Have never driven one though.

Then there's the pricing. Our limited trim has gone up a lot in price since 2019. So much so, that it doesn't seem worth that kind of money to us, no matter how nice the truck is. Because of this, we have decided to invest in our existing trucks and keep them running as long as possible. 2014 is at 235,000 I believe and just got a front suspension refresh to keep it running. New truck smell is nice, but not worth it right now.

Reactions: DEG

RedFred

Reaction score
If I were buying a new truck, I probbaly wouldn't buy a Ram again. The styling has become a little too jellybean for me, I like the Chevy/GMC styling a lot more. Have never driven one though.

I do agree with this some. Not saying that I wouldn't buy a Ram again, but it definitely could have used some new appearance packages or color choices over the years. I'm interested in the Laramie, but they have looked exactly the same now for years. And what ever changes they did make, like removing the fender flares on the Laramie trim and not having a non e-torque option, have only made things worse. I know they are coming up with an update soon, but with the update the hemi goes away and no more v8 option. Frustrating 😩

RedFred

Reaction score

GM, with the Silverado and Sierra 1500's, outsells the Ram 1500 by a good margin. And sales for the Silverado and Sierra are both up for the year compared to last year, while Ram 1500 sales are down for the year.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now had I only stayed driving Chevys I’m sure I would be happy with anything newer today from them.
This is the key I think as well. I had Chevys in the past and thought of GM trucks as the premium option back then. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't, IDK, but that was my perception. I think they've been relying on that perception a little too long perhaps.

Now its the complete opposite. Although if you like a traditional truck exterior design, I do think they do that well. They have the only Crew Cab short bed that doesnt look "stumpy" to me.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I think thats the key. Having previous experience with Silverados both LTZ and simple plain Jane work trucks they’re nice for a Chevy but I always keep that saying to myself since I know enough diehard Chevy only guys that wouldn’t even look at Rams because of their past transmission issues. I would still keep #2 on my potential list but I think they’re still pricing themselves out. Rams discounts have always been better for both my 4th and 5th gen even my dads Denali I seen the listing on the dealerships website and thought wtf hell you could of bought a Ram for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Totally agree. Used to drive a Chevy and I liked their look and feel. Then Ram came along and changed my mind. Had a 2000 Ram, Then 2007, Then 2019, and now a 3 week old 2024. I don't see quite as many Ford converts but that may just be my perception.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as you travel with the tow mode on the engine doesn’t shut off cylinders.
That's not the eTorque or auto start/stop system, which my Ram doesn't have. eTorque adds a 48v battery pack and alternator the truck just doesn't need.

But yes, you can do that and shut off MDS. I've heard of a lot less problems with MDS than eTorque though.

Silas Pelton

Reaction score
That's not the eTorque or auto start/stop system, which my Ram doesn't have. eTorque adds a 48v battery pack and alternator the truck just doesn't need.

But yes, you can do that and shut off MDS. I've heard of a lot less problems with MDS than eTorque though.
Yes it does have the 48 volt battery system but it doesn’t have an alternator it’s a small generator to help the truck take off from a stop when the engine has turned off while stopped at a red light. By eliminating the auto stop/start it’s pretty much the same as normal V8 vehicle.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By eliminating the auto stop/start it’s pretty much the same as normal V8 vehicle.

The eTorque has auto start/stop, which the normal 5.7 doesn't have. When it shuts off at a light it's still another start cycle, when the engine stops, oil stops flowing, then starts up again when it starts. I'd rather let my truck idle at a light vs another start cycle with no oil pressure. The eTorque has the generator/alternator and the 48v battery pack, which a normal V8 doesn't have. It's adding complexity, which isn't always a good thing.

I've had two 5th gen Rams, neither of which with the eTorque... but to each their own. If/when it goes down and your trucks parked at the dealer waiting on parts, you'll wish you didn't have it...

To the OP - keep us posted. Curious what you end up with!

Silas Pelton

Reaction score
The eTorque has auto start/stop, which the normal 5.7 doesn't have. When it shuts off at a light it's still another start cycle, when the engine stops, oil stops flowing, then starts up again when it starts. I'd rather let my truck idle at a light vs another start cycle with no oil pressure. The eTorque has the generator/alternator and the 48v battery pack, which a normal V8 doesn't have. It's adding complexity, which isn't always a good thing.

I've had two 5th gen Rams, neither of which with the eTorque... but to each their own. If/when it goes down and your trucks parked at the dealer waiting on parts, you'll wish you didn't have it...

To the OP - keep us posted. Curious what you end up with!
I understand that but my truck never shuts off when stopped because I have the auto stop eliminator installed. Therefore it runs like a normal 5.7.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand that but my truck never shuts off when stopped because I have the auto stop eliminator installed. Therefore it runs like a normal 5.7.

Not exactly. You still have the battery pack and generator, which is the eTorque. And if they fail you're DOA, whether or not you've disabled the start/stop.

Why buy and eTorque if you disable the start/stop? Makes more sense to just not buy the eTorque...

But it's a mute point, looks like it's gone in the 2025MY.

Silas Pelton

Reaction score
I wanted the Built to Serve edition and that was how it came. I almost didn’t buy it because of the etorque. They only made 1000 Built to Serve in the color Tank. If it should fail then I will put a TRX drive train in it. That’s my ultimate goal.
Not exactly. You still have the battery pack and generator, which is the eTorque. And if they fail your DOA, whether or not you've disabled the start/stop.

Why buy and eTorque if you disable the start/stop? Makes more sense to just not buy the eTorque...

But it's a mute point, looks like it's gone in the 2025MY.

RedFred

Reaction score
Just a small update. After the test drive, the dealership was calling me almost everyday leaving messages. It was the salesman and also someone else from the dealership who I never spoke to in person. I finally called them back, this was 2 weeks ago and spoke to the salesman. I told him I'm interested in a truck on their lot but also that Ram is giving some pretty good discounts right now. I didn't tell him how much of a discount or how much I was expecting off the price. He told me he was going to talk to the manager and see what they can do on the truck and he would call me back. After that I never received another phone call from that dealership. It's been over 2 weeks now, lol. The truck is still on their lot. I really dislike NJ car dealerships.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread is a little stale but I owned a 2019 Ram Limited 4X4 eTorque which I traded for a 2021 F150 Platinum 4X4 Powerboost. The Ram was a better riding truck and the Powerboost was unreliable. I wanted to ditch it within 6 months but the stupid pandemic shortages, I couldn't lemon law it. I had a Camaro ZL1 and was in the Chevy dealer kicking around waiting on an oil change. They had a High Country on the floor. I was sold on the interior immediately. I'm just not sold on the front end. So I checked out GMC6. The Denali Ultimate. That was it. The dealership had an unsold black 6.2l inbound and I left a deposit. I've owned the Denali for a year this month and I am still sold on it. I love the Supercruise (just used it extensively last week on a Chicago round trip) and the Google based infotainment system. It's 21-22mpg highway truck and a 15mpg city truck. Burns 93 octane. I rate the Denali Ultimate interior better than the Ram Limited. The Ram Limited air suspension wins the better ride. 20230205_095006.jpg

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My FIL has a 2020 Silverado with the 5.3L and every time I drive it the motor feels sluggish compared to the 5.7 Hemi.

No need to drive one to determine the 355 hp 5.3 will feel sluggish compared to the 390 hp 5.7. The 35 hp difference is enough to easily notice.

Users who are viewing this thread