5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible MPG RAM 1500 ETorque Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT

Ramguy1

Reaction score
I am a RAM GUY 100% ALL IN! Have been for years. I purchased this RAM 1500 ETorque Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT after test driving the Hemi and Eco-Diesel. My mindset was around using this as a daily driver and not a work truck. I am very UNDER Whelmed by the performance of this engine!! I will attach the sticker from the truck when I purchased it. I should be getting 20 MPG in the city and 25 MPG on the highway. I am getting 17 in the city and 20 on the highway! I have a very light foot and ease into acceleration! My son has the 2019 Hemi and he is getting 18 in the city and 21 on the highway. I have brought this to the attention of the dealership I purchased at and to RAM in their Surveys Sent. NO SOLUTION OFFERED!! Can someone give me 1 advantage to having this motor?? I should have easily went with one of the other two I test drove. It's Black edition, with the new Large Entertainment Screen package. I am at 7,000 miles and just had my first oil change. Nothing has improved. The backup camera does not come on sometimes. The weather stripping around the windows is separating. All of these items are very discouraging on the quality side of my purchase.

Attachments

• WindowStickerPDF_Ram1500_ETorque.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 29

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a RAM GUY 100% ALL IN! Have been for years. I purchased this RAM 1500 ETorque Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT after test driving the Hemi and Eco-Diesel. My mindset was around using this as a daily driver and not a work truck. I am very UNDER Whelmed by the performance of this engine!! I will attach the sticker from the truck when I purchased it. I should be getting 20 MPG in the city and 25 MPG on the highway. I am getting 17 in the city and 20 on the highway! I have a very light foot and ease into acceleration! My son has the 2019 Hemi and he is getting 18 in the city and 21 on the highway. I have brought this to the attention of the dealership I purchased at and to RAM in their Surveys Sent. NO SOLUTION OFFERED!! Can someone give me 1 advantage to having this motor?? I should have easily went with one of the other two I test drove. It's Black edition, with the new Large Entertainment Screen package. I am at 7,000 miles and just had my first oil change. Nothing has improved. The backup camera does not come on sometimes. The weather stripping around the windows is separating. All of these items are very discouraging on the quality side of my purchase.
Sounds right, actually. You have a 3.55 vs 3.21 axles. 3.21 gets the best gass milage. I'll have 3.92s. My MPG is gonna be crap, but I know that ahead of time.

Nozzleman

Reaction score

Weird, I have the same truck, no modifications, except for 3.21 gears and its a crew cab, and I get 22mpg consistently. Every once in a while I'll go down to 19.6 but only when stuck in traffic.

Sorry your having this issue, it can be really frustrating. 2 things you can try to improve the truck,
-Pedal commander for performance
-K&N air filter or yours may be clogged

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
OP, I foolishly got mine with the V6 expecting good gas mileage, too, and you can see how that's turned out despite me driving with quite a light foot. If I stick with Ram when I get a new truck this fall, I'll definitely be going with the diesel.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I had the same engine in a Jeep JLU. A JLU weighs about the same as a Ram. I got 15 mpg at best. On the eight speed transmission, 6th gear is 1:1, 7th and 8th are overdrive. My Jeep seldom shifted to 7th and very rarely 8th. Can you cruise in 8th gear?

ShadowHawk

Reaction score
3.55 gears will reduce MPGs. the EPA estimates are always off the base 3.21 gearing and interior features. Same thing with the Hemi w/ 3.21 vs. the 3.92s that I have. Better for off the line accel & towing, worse on fuel econ.

Power luxury options + bigger/heavier wheels add weight and weight is the enemy of economy...well, that and drag.

TBH, the 3.6 is a little gutless when paired with such a heavy vehicle. We have the 3.6 in a '17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with 3.45 gears and it runs out of puff towards the top end so I can imagine it not being great on a heavier truck even with the eTorque. It's meant to be more "fuel efficient" than the bigger/heavier V8 options and is more "cost effective" since it's the base base engine.

As for the weather stripping, depends on how much sun the truck sees, but the rubber quality isn't great I will admit that. The dealer needs to look into the back up camera issue. @RamCares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just because I like to experiment, I suggest you and your son swap trucks for one tank and see what fuel mileage you get in each other's trucks. Driving style makes a huge difference in fuel economy. I know you said you "have a very light foot and ease into acceleration", but I'd still be interested to see the results from that test. I would also hand calculate the mileage instead of relying on the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread