5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temp change issues

Cr250Ram

Reaction score
It seems as if whatever physical part that controls the changing of my climate control doesn’t work. I often have to go all the way to the extreme HI (heat) or LOW (cold) in order to get the temperature coming out of the vents to change.

For example; it was 60ish out tonight and my truck was blowing cold air even with the climate manually set to 80 (truck fully warmed up and 75 mph). I set it to HI and it got very hot. I SLOWLY turned the temp down to 70 and the temp coming out of the vents barely changed and remained very hot. It wasn’t until I turned it to “low” that the temp coming out the vents finally cooled down.

The same happened when going from LOW to HIGH. The temp barely changed and remained cold even at 80 when coming from LOW. The temp remained cold until I turned it to HI at which point it got very hot.

I did this numerous times in both directions (hot to cold, and cold to hot). I left it at a set temp multiple times to see if there was a delay (1 minute) and the temp never changed.
What could be causing the lack of change in the temp coming out of the vents when changing the temperature dial?
*for clarification A/C was NOT on during tonight’s test, but from prior “On the fly tests” it seemed to also fail to change temperature.

Lize

Reaction score
I don't think this is of much help but I've come to the conclusion that the whole climate control system is useless in Auto mode and better if you manually select required vents and fan speed. Not sure from your post whether you are using auto or not?

In the summer I was also disappointed by poor cooling and now it has turned cold I find the heating just as useless. If I set it on high and auto then hardly anything happens for at least the first 30 minutes of driving despite the engine being at prolonged full operating temperature and then suddenly I notice its boiling hot in the cab. I'll have a better test of whats actually happening at my vents but in manual mode it did seem to blow hotter air than in auto.

The weather has been a bit variable as yet between 35 to 50F outside so I've not quite yet settled on what works best but I'm pretty resigned to having to fiddle about constantly and then likely forget what works for each season and restart the whole learning curve on an annual basis!

Cr250Ram

Reaction score
Yeah the climate control system overall has been a HUGE disappointment. My AC reminds me of the 1980 bronco I was driving in 2006, the AC is about as good as one of those handheld water spray fan things.

the above test was done on manual mode. Auto mode seems to have the same issue tho.

this system sux, in the cold I can’t get enough heat, and in the hot I can’t get enough cold.....my air cooled and heated seats provide more comfort than the climate system....

outside of the climate system I love this truck! I really wish there was a fix...

Lize

Reaction score
this system sux, in the cold I can’t get enough heat, and in the hot I can’t get enough cold.....my air cooled and heated seats provide more comfort than the climate system....
Yes, heated seats and steering wheel have been the savour, in manual mode I find directing the heat to the the dash vents better than letting auto put it to feet, at least that way the luke warm air hits you directly because the output just isn't hot enough to let it rise.

rah6887

Reaction score
Somewhat related, my vent selector is useless sometimes (manual), it just blows out of the floor, regardless of the setting.

Moe1962

Reaction score
It seems as if whatever physical part that controls the changing of my climate control doesn’t work. I often have to go all the way to the extreme HI (heat) or LOW (cold) in order to get the temperature coming out of the vents to change.

For example; it was 60ish out tonight and my truck was blowing cold air even with the climate manually set to 80 (truck fully warmed up and 75 mph). I set it to HI and it got very hot. I SLOWLY turned the temp down to 70 and the temp coming out of the vents barely changed and remained very hot. It wasn’t until I turned it to “low” that the temp coming out the vents finally cooled down.

The same happened when going from LOW to HIGH. The temp barely changed and remained cold even at 80 when coming from LOW. The temp remained cold until I turned it to HI at which point it got very hot.

I did this numerous times in both directions (hot to cold, and cold to hot). I left it at a set temp multiple times to see if there was a delay (1 minute) and the temp never changed.
What could be causing the lack of change in the temp coming out of the vents when changing the temperature dial?
*for clarification A/C was NOT on during tonight’s test, but from prior “On the fly tests” it seemed to also fail to change temperature.
My Big Horn isn't quite that bad, but still bad. I can set the temp at 72 (it was 33 degrees out) and it will got hot, feels like high 80ish (not measured), then it will cool off to about 60ish (not measured). I didn't fiddle with the temp knob the other day when it was cold out, I just opened the sliding back glass to let the heat out and closed it when it got chilly again. Not ideal by any means.

FL Laramie

Reaction score
Same issue here. "Auto" is worthless. Temp outside is in the upper 40s. Start the truck up with everything set to Auto and 75 degrees. Wife gets pissed because cold air blasts out of the vents for 30 mins. Finally have to do everything manually because she shuts her vents and my kid in the back shuts his vent. Now I've got a hurricane of cold air blowing at my face from the only 2 open vents left in the truck. Wife's already said this is the last Ram vehicle we're buying. For the price point, I gotta agree.

Lize

Reaction score
Just thought I'd note that I now favour max heat and windshield as the best option from cold start up, it seems to put out more instant heat, it may not actually make a temperature difference but it does seem to percolate to my face and make me and the cab feel warmer more quickly.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not, but I think some of the heat issues are the converse of the AC issues people had this summer. I leave the AC on a lot even though I want heat because we have cold but damp air here in New England, and the AC helps with condensation immensely. That said, when I shut the AC off, I've noticed that my truck heats significantly faster. Not ideal but it's a trade off I'm ok with, and don't mind manually adjusting.

barr0208

Reaction score
I don't seem to have the issue with heat aka its -10 f it warms up pretty quick in auto mode but yes the ac is lacking in my 2016 I could freeze myself out in it but not in 2019

Lize

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not, but I think some of the heat issues are the converse of the AC issues people had this summer. I leave the AC on a lot even though I want heat because we have cold but damp air here in New England, and the AC helps with condensation immensely. That said, when I shut the AC off, I've noticed that my truck heats significantly faster. Not ideal but it's a trade off I'm ok with, and don't mind manually adjusting.
Thats a good thought, I never turn the AC off as it helps with condensation as you say, will give that a go thanks.

RichM1983

Reaction score
I have found that AUTO is totally useless as well. It does seem to cool the truck off faster when its hot out but that may just be in my head. However, once the truck is cool the fan stays on super hi and never lowers. I don't even bother with it anymore. I've never had a vehicle that it worked intelligently in so I don't blame RAM. My heat is amazing tho. I don't think I've ever had a vehicle get hot so fast. It is up to a warm enough temp to blast major heat within 5 minutes even when pretty cold out. Granted I park in a garage but my other vehicles have been too and didn't get that warm that quick.

I will also note that my AC performance is not the greatest. It gets the job done but should be better. I plan to take in next summer.

Sgoodwin1

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with the heater, in the mornings when it’s 35 degrees out and I set the climate temp to 64 degrees it feels like 90 degrees but in the afternoon when it’s 60 degrees 64 is cold and I have to set it to 75 to feel warm air which seems right. Not sure why the lower temps cause the system to superheat any thoughts?

Tripnet

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with the heater, in the mornings when it’s 35 degrees out and I set the climate temp to 64 degrees it feels like 90 degrees but in the afternoon when it’s 60 degrees 64 is cold and I have to set it to 75 to feel warm air which seems right. Not sure why the lower temps cause the system to superheat any thoughts?

I am having similar issues right now that it has cooled down just a bit in southern california.

like other owners, my AC does not effectively cool the truck in hot weather. Now, on cooler mornings and afternoons (mid 50s to mid 60s), with the AC set at 68-69, the system blows out 90 degree air which is just overpowering... it seems to take the system 20 or 30 minutes to adjust and blow air cooler than 85-90 degrees.

BugGuy

Reaction score
I'm a new truck owner and also have climate control complaints. It'll blow HOT whether it's on 84 or 64. I have to crank it all the way down to get it cooler. I've been tempted to get a thermometer to monitor and document it so I verify what's going on.

barr0208

Reaction score
when the temps are low if your system is set to auto it will blow hot till the temperature set is reached leave at 75 it will go to 75 at max heat .64 is really close to 60 so it will put minimal heat /cool leave it at 75 its no different than your auto heat in the house set it and forget it .if it gets really hot in the truck it will put max cool till it is close to 75 likewise hot till as well.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
My experience is the opposite. I seldom take mine off Auto mode.

I would agree that the fan stays on high longer than I'd like sometimes, and the system is a bit slow to go to 100% cooling when you first start up and it's hot out. Other than that, mine seems to work quite well.

mcdonaldr

Reaction score
I'm a new truck owner and also have climate control complaints. It'll blow HOT whether it's on 84 or 64. I have to crank it all the way down to get it cooler. I've been tempted to get a thermometer to monitor and document it so I verify what's going on.
I have the same issue! It requires me to set to LO and then it drastically changes from hot to cold (61 degrees -> LO).

Kbaker7986

Reaction score

I am having the same issues with my 2019 ram. When did you first notice the a/c problems?

tdog65

Reaction score
I know these forums usually have the people that have problems, but does anybody have a 19 and up ram that the AC/Heat works correctly without hack. I keep wanting to buy one but I need to quit reading these forums or I never will. I'm guess I'm more amazed that FCA hasn't done something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread