5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate (won't) unlock with remote?

Konrad

Reaction score
I have this small but infuriating intermittent issue where my tailgate seemingly random fails to unlock with the remote keyfob and I have to go and press the unlock button on the driver's door. Of course it happens when I need it the most (e.g. in torrential rain, when I carry something heavy etc ). The doors unlock without a problem every time. It's a 2019 Bighorn Level 2 (so with remote keyfob, but no buttons on handles / keyless entry)

Is this a bug, or is it a feature and there' some convoluted logic that controls the remote tailgate unlocking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I have this small but infuriating intermittent issue where my tailgate seemingly random fails to unlock with the remote keyfob and I have to go and press the unlock button on the driver's door. Of course it happens when I need it the most (e.g. in torrential rain, when I carry something heavy etc ). The doors unlock without a problem every time. It's a 2019 Bighorn Level 2 (so with remote keyfob, but no buttons on handles / keyless entry)

Is this a bug, or is it a feature and there' some convoluted logic that controls the remote tailgate unlocking?

All the doors have to be unlocked for you to be able to unlock the trunk. Press 2-3 times on the unlock button and try again

cra1g

Reaction score
^^^ Yup. Somewhere in the settings you can select whether pressing unlock once unlocks all doors (including tailgate) or just driver's door.

Konrad

Reaction score
@MannyHen @cra1g Yep, been there done all that many times, my friends. uConnect setting checked. First "click" on the remote unlocks driver's doors only, two clicks unlock all doors and SOMETIMES the tailgate. Three or more clicks work exactly as the two-click, no additional effects.

I've had a Mercedes SUV before and there was some complex logic controlling its locks (for example if you unlocked it remotely but did not open any doors within 1 minute, every consecutive attempt would unlock only doors but not trunk / fuel doors, etc.) I wonder if something like that is at play here?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
@MannyHen @cra1g Yep, been there done all that many times, my friends. uConnect setting checked. First "click" on the remote unlocks driver's doors only, two clicks unlock all doors and SOMETIMES the tailgate. Three or more clicks work exactly as the two-click, no additional effects.

I've had a Mercedes SUV before and there was some complex logic controlling its locks (for example if you unlocked it remotely but did not open any doors within 1 minute, every consecutive attempt would unlock only doors but not trunk / fuel doors, etc.) I wonder if something like that is at play here?

I know that if you don't open the tailgate within a minute of unlocking it's not going to open, you gonna have to unlock twice again. Unless you unlock with the button on the door

Konrad

Reaction score
I know that if you don't open the tailgate within a minute of unlocking it's not going to open, you gonna have to unlock twice again. Unless you unlock with the button on the door

Exactly. I would expect (and appreciate) that kind of control logic, but I still don't think that's the case with mine. When it is acting up, mine won't unlock / open even within seconds after the "double click" :-(

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. I would expect (and appreciate) that kind of control logic, but I still don't think that's the case with mine. When it is acting up, mine won't unlock / open even within seconds after the "double click" :-(

I'd visit the dealer to resolve this problem.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi @Konrad - If you do end up addressing this with your dealer, we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support while you are in service. We are always just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread