5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate won’t go down

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
No worries. you were just trying to help Nsleone's question.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
My tailgate had a bit of a squeak coming down. Took the drivers side tail light out today. The actual damper is mounted upside down and has a boot covering the piston that travels. Feel like it is adequately protected considering where it is. The actual hinge had a slight bit of rust so hit it with some lithium and it now functions much smoother.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did some more lubing with pb blaster and lithium grease spray. It won’t go all the way down by itself even with the damper removed. I’m guess I’ll have to pull the tailgate and check the hinges? Anyone know how to remove it?

Thanks

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did some more lubing with pb blaster and lithium grease spray. It won’t go all the way down by itself even with the damper removed. I’m guess I’ll have to pull the tailgate and check the hinges? Anyone know how to remove it?
Pages 88 thru 90 in my manual, don't know about the earlier ones. I've not actually done it. Looks like it could be a one man job once you're familiar, but I think I'd get help the first time at least.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Pages 88 thru 90 in my manual, don't know about the earlier ones. I've not actually done it. Looks like it could be a one man job once you're familiar, but I think I'd get help the first time at least.
Ok cool. I’ll take a look. It definitely will be a two man job. That’s why we have kids! 😉

Lungs414

Reaction score
I just got a recall notice today regarding the tail gate. Something about the hinges.
Check it out first.

Users who are viewing this thread