5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Wiring Lock/Unlock--Need some help

sandman98

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie--moved my Leer topper over from my 2016. I have the ground run to the chassis and CHMSL tapped into a pigtail from the harness, so that works (no problem). Now looking to connect the power lock and unlock for the topper.

1. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the tailgate harness, or know which wires at the harness are responsible for lock/unlock?
2. If I take a multimeter to the harness, will I be able to see which wire is carrying current when the lock/unlock is pressed on the remote, or is the pulse too quick to register on my multimeter?

Attached are pics. First is the wire bundle opened up. Second and third are the front and rear of the tailgate harness where it attaches at the tailgate. Any help or input would be much appreciated.
IMG_6090.jpg IMG_6091.jpg IMG_6092.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie--moved my Leer topper over from my 2016. I have the ground run to the chassis and CHMSL tapped into a pigtail from the harness, so that works (no problem). Now looking to connect the power lock and unlock for the topper.

1. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the tailgate harness, or know which wires at the harness are responsible for lock/unlock?
2. If I take a multimeter to the harness, will I be able to see which wire is carrying current when the lock/unlock is pressed on the remote, or is the pulse too quick to register on my multimeter?

Attached are pics. First is the wire bundle opened up. Second and third are the front and rear of the tailgate harness where it attaches at the tailgate. Any help or input would be much appreciated.
View attachment 78383 View attachment 78384 View attachment 78385
There are no lock/unlock wires at the tailgate anymore on the 5th gens, since the tailgate technically doesn’t “lock”. You would have to run the wires into the cab to grab one of the door’s lock/unlock wires. Let me look around on the schematics and see what spot would be most practical to get to to grab those wires.

Reactions: CBC

sandman98

Reaction score
There are no lock/unlock wires at the tailgate anymore on the 5th gens, since the tailgate technically doesn’t “lock”. You would have to run the wires into the cab to grab one of the door’s lock/unlock wires. Let me look around on the schematics and see what spot would be most practical to get to to grab those wires.
If you have something in the rear driver side door sill that would be perfect. I already plan to tap into the harness there for my dome light in the topper. I believe that wire is the White/Tan tracer.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have something in the rear driver side door sill that would be perfect. I already plan to tap into the harness there for my dome light in the topper. I believe that wire is the White/Tan tracer.
You can grab the lock and unlock wires anywhere in the section I have a line drawn in yellow crayon-
IB3w5b4.jpg

The unlock wire is purple with green stripe, and the lock wire is green with dark green stripe. Now, I’m not sure if there are any other wires in that bundle that are the same colors, but those two wires will be a heavier gauge than all the rest.
jcMpoPD.jpg

As far as the dome lamp, they changed the way it functions compared to the 2016. There are two driver wires feeding the dome lamp- one is the reading lamp driver, and the other is the dimmable courtesy lamp driver, so depending on how you want the topper to operate. I’ll have to look, but I don’t believe the wire is white/tan anymore.

FM45

Reaction score
Just adding a little help---

-=FM45=-

Attachments

• DirectWire_2021_Dodge-Ram_1500(SmartKey).pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 213

sandman98

Reaction score
You can grab the lock and unlock wires anywhere in the section I have a line drawn in yellow crayon-
IB3w5b4.jpg

The unlock wire is purple with green stripe, and the lock wire is green with dark green stripe. Now, I’m not sure if there are any other wires in that bundle that are the same colors, but those two wires will be a heavier gauge than all the rest.
jcMpoPD.jpg

As far as the dome lamp, they changed the way it functions compared to the 2016. There are two driver wires feeding the dome lamp- one is the reading lamp driver, and the other is the dimmable courtesy lamp driver, so depending on how you want the topper to operate. I’ll have to look, but I don’t believe the wire is white/tan anymore.

Jimmy07,
Thanks so much for this info. Hopefully this makes this project a "one and done" for taking apart my door sill and pulling up the carpet. I guess for the dome in the topper, I'd like it to function along with the factory bed lights (which I assume work along with the CabHigh Cargo light).

FM45 added a nice wiring summary, but I don't see Bed Lights or Cargo Light listed there...

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Steve

sandman98

Reaction score
Finally wired the 12v dome light--just tapped into the wire supplying the factory installed bed lights at the driver tail light assembly. Just traced it back from the LED--really easy to get to since it's enclosed in a split cable loom. Functions along with the factory bed lights--Exactly what I wanted!

ChuckYourself

Reaction score
Mind sharing specifics on the bed light wires? Im about to do the same in my topper. Thanks!

Terminal

Reaction score
Are these wires access from the inside of the truck or from underneath?

FrankoElTanko

Reaction score
Just adding a little help---

-=FM45=-
this pdf is very helpful, do you know if this same pdf would apply for the 2020 1500? I don't see why the would reestablish wiring for different years of the the 5th generation. But want to make sure, thanks in advance.

Universal power

Reaction score
Any complete wiring diagrams of tailgate would be nice. I have 360 cam and the back part is blacked out as if the tailgate is open. I have upfited box... just need to short that wire to ground so it works all the way around not just black as if I have a door open kicking off that camera. Thanks guys!

Tjcadieux

Reaction score
Could someone confirm the colour for the brake light in the taillight bundle? The above information for the lock and unlock was immensely help and worked great. Just struggling to get the break light on the canopy working. Thanks everyone!

bmac

Reaction score
Could someone confirm the colour for the brake light in the taillight bundle? The above information for the lock and unlock was immensely help and worked great. Just struggling to get the break light on the canopy working. Thanks everyone!
If your truck is a 1500 and 2020 or newer, there is a wire tucked in the rear driver's side for CHMSL tap for a cap. 2019 does not have it. It's white/violet stripe.

Tjcadieux

Reaction score
If your truck is a 1500 and 2020 or newer, there is a wire tucked in the rear driver's side for CHMSL tap for a cap. 2019 does not have it. It's white/violet stripe.
Oh cool, thank you! Where is it tucked? I’ve searched around the wiring but can’t seem to find it. I’m in a 2022 1500

Users who are viewing this thread