5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Warning Light

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
22 Laramie Level 1 …. Where is the light ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It will also show on the dash center. There's a big discussion about this that sometimes it isn't enabled from the factory and you have to enabled it using AlfaODB. The dealer won't do it either

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazing 3 years later and FCA still hasn't been resolved this.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked my order sheet, and window sticker …. Laramie level 1 does not include the tailgate down warning light …. Still living in 2012 …. Great

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had a couple trucks built after 2012
And never had a tail gate light!

Seriously ? How f’ing difficult is it ? I mean how many times do I have to drive home from golf league after a couple pops, only to find by the grace of God, my new Ping driver didn’t slide out the back …. For sh!t’s sakes, c’mon RAM !!!!

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those with tonneau covers, CRS and CRAFT the tailgate light is a good reminder.

Yea, thanks Jako, I don’t have that, and it sucks …. Should be standard

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seriously ? How f’ing difficult is it ? I mean how many times do I have to drive home from golf league after a couple pops, only to find by the grace of God, my new Ping driver didn’t slide out the back …. For sh!t’s sakes, c’mon RAM !!!!

Never. Just double check anytime you have it open. Never lost anything.

Or turn on your camera if you second guess yourself. You can do it while moving. I’ve done that a few times with my cover on.

But I’d be annoyed if it had it, as my gate is down a good bit for hauling things.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It will also show on the dash center. There's a big discussion about this that sometimes it isn't enabled from the factory and you have to enabled it using AlfaODB. The dealer won't do it either
I did not know that. Went out and checked and, sure enough, shifting to drive got me the truck graphic indicating an open tailgate.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just turned mine back on last night with AlfaOBD, it's under CBC Config IO F pin 26: Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present: No
Changed that to Yes and here is the result:
IMG_2905.jpg

When I first bought the truck, I got this warning, but it got removed through an OTA update. At the time they were having a lot of complaints about it malfunctioning because of faulty installation of the latches at the factory and people were getting the warning when the tailgate was indeed closed, so the quick fix was to turn it off and turn it back on at a later date...well, that later date never happened and they moved on to Uconnect 5. I even got the star case letter from my dealership. I'll see if I still have a copy of the letter and update.
Edited to add:
IMG_1649.jpg

Anyone near me that wants it turned on, I'll be happy to do it for free, just PM me and we can work it out.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove a good 40miles on I80 yesterday, before a nice guy in a Tacoma drove up next to me signaling me my tailgate was down 😩 I had no light on my dash warning me.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I tried to enable this with alfaobd and something has changed in 22 as it no longer works. Been wanting to pull off the tailgate cover and have a look for wiring but we’ve been in the middle of an ice age in Alberta for 2+ weeks and its waay too cold for tinkering outside.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I just enabled mine using AlfaOBD after losing a bunch of Christmas gifts and ~4000 rounds of ammunition. One of the nephews didn't close the tailgate tight enough, so it caught on the tonneau cover but didn't latch. The tailgate fell open (no heard it because of the soft open feature) and we didn't find out until the next day (after traveling about 80 miles on back roads in Indiana). Lets just say It was NOT a very merry Christmas for me. :(

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I just enabled mine using AlfaOBD after losing a bunch of Christmas gifts and ~4000 rounds of ammunition. One of the nephews didn't close the tailgate tight enough, so it caught on the tonneau cover but didn't latch. The tailgate fell open (no heard it because of the soft open feature) and we didn't find out until the next day (after traveling about 80 miles on back roads in Indiana). Lets just say It was NOT a very merry Christmas for me. :(
Oh man that sucks! I used to have a 01 2500 diesel and one Christmas Eve driving on the highway into a crazy 100km headwind the tonneau cover ripped right off and we had presents and luggage blowing all over the highway.

palmer64

Reaction score
Oh man that sucks! I used to have a 01 2500 diesel and one Christmas Eve driving on the highway into a crazy 100km headwind the tonneau cover ripped right off and we had presents and luggage blowing all over the highway.
Know I’ve seen it somewhere else but isn’t there a way too check and see if the wiring is there too see if this feature for the warning light can be enabled?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Know I’ve seen it somewhere else but isn’t there a way too check and see if the wiring is there too see if this feature for the warning light can be enabled?

Users who are viewing this thread