5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate strength.

dbbeme

Reaction score
Hey guys,
does anyone know the strength of our tailgates? I can't seem to find any info but I need to put my bike in the bed next week and I'm trying to determine if I will need to take the tailgate off.

Thanks in advance!!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys,
does anyone know the strength of our tailgates? I can't seem to find any info but I need to put my bike in the bed next week and I'm trying to determine if I will need to take the tailgate off.

Thanks in advance!!
This is on page 100 of the "2019 Essential Information Guide", "All-NEW RAM TRUCK 1500" that was in my Bighorn glove compartment, purchased 11/24/18.
"When vehicle is in motion do not exceed 150 lbs. (68 kg.) load on the tailgate.

I also plan to transport my MC (600 lbs.).

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two of us sat on the tail gate with feet off the ground...one of us is 310 the other 248! It was fine when we got off of it! :)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The weight limit probably has something to do with our discussion early on about why the Ram box didnt have the hardware to attach the bed divider as a bed extender.

Someone sued them after they overloaded the end of their truck...or they envision someone suing them.

The wording in the manual, does it state anything about the multifunctional tailgate we haven't seen yet?

Kidder

Reaction score
If you're concerned, cut a piece 3/4" plywood to fit in the bed with cutouts around the wheel wells. That will distribute the load evenly and take some stress off of the tailgate. I have a bike (BMW GS - fat pig) and it's what I intend to do if I need to haul it somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread