5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Squeaking

U

User_3336

Are these 5th Gen, especially a 2020, tailgates made out of metal or fiberglass?

Mine squeaks like crazy in the center, right above the backup camera. Pushing lightly in that area makes an annoying plastic against plastic (fiberglass) sound.

Even when you push on the top of the tailgate on either side, it has a "fine" squeak.

What is causing this? Even if you tap the tailgate with you fingernail, it doesn't sound like metal.

weird? fiberglass or metal?
squeak1.jpg squeak2.jpg

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are these 5th Gen, especially a 2020, tailgates made out of metal or fiberglass?

Mine squeaks like crazy in the center, right above the backup camera. Pushing lightly in that area makes an annoying plastic against plastic (fiberglass) sound.

Even when you push on the top of the tailgate on either side, it has a "fine" squeak.

What is causing this? Even if you tap the tailgate with you fingernail, it doesn't sound like metal.

weird? fiberglass or metal?
View attachment 60395 View attachment 60396
Aluminum....no weird noises or squeaks on my 2020.

U

User_3336

Well, that did cross my mind originally, but wasn't sure.

Its annoying as hell, but it doesn't affect the function of the tailgate or release.

Probably a waste of time taking it to the dealer..Doubt they'll replace the tailgate.

but something's wrong in the build if other's dont squeak.

Aluminum....no weird noises or squeaks on my 2020.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So, out of the 82 people who read this message, no one elses tailgate squeaks?

Sorry for the trouble, @GregHBNA. Please be sure to keep us posted if this is something you end up having to address with your dealer!

Mark
RamCares

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't squeak. I'd talk to them about it the next time you're there, but I probably wouldn't make a trip to the dealership just for that. I'd probably remove the access panel and see if I can visually identify what's making the noise if my truck was doing that.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine squeaked terribly on the driver side, the dealership hit it with some silicone spray and it stopped for about a week then came back. I gave the latch and post a proper soaking this February and it's been quiet ever since

U

User_3336

I did put a little oil on the latch and post, but didn't totally go away.

My big issue is in the middle, above the the latch and backup camera is, just sounds like styrofoam rubbing against cheap plastic when you push on it.

Mine squeaked terribly on the driver side, the dealership hit it with some silicone spray and it stopped for about a week then came back. I gave the latch and post a proper soaking this February and it's been quiet ever since

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Is it squeaking while you are driving it, like you can hear it when you go over a bump? Just wondering as I know mine isnt squeaking while driving. I havent pushed on mine like you are describing because I never had a reason to do that. But now you have me wondering.....and I am going to see if it does it.

U

User_3336

I first noticed it while I was waxing the tailgate (and opened and closed it then).

Is it squeaking while you are driving it, like you can hear it when you go over a bump? Just wondering as I know mine isnt squeaking while driving. I havent pushed on mine like you are describing because I never had a reason to do that. But now you have me wondering.....and I am going to see if it does it.

Jp306

Reaction score
Just noticed mine squeaking on either side and above the handle as well, just as you've described. Also a little bit of back and forth play on the tailgate. Can definitely hear it over bumps and turns as the truck shifts weight side to side.

Ever find a cause, or better yet, a solution?

Medgas24

Reaction score
Mines squeaking like a screaming child when i open and close my tailgate on the bottom left post

Users who are viewing this thread