5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Sensor - should I have one?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On my 22 I had to buy a different wiring harness for the tailgate in order to enable it.
That's why I was asking if the build sheet listed it. Generally, that would indicate if the truck "should have it, but it doesn't work" or if it just wasn't installed to begin with. To complicate matters, many trucks (mine included) have the hardware already, but just needs to be enabled with AlfaOBD. Not sure why Ram builds so many trucks with the correct components but doesn't charge for them (and leaves them disabled).

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why I was asking if the build sheet listed it. Generally, that would indicate if the truck "should have it, but it doesn't work" or if it just wasn't installed to begin with. To complicate matters, many trucks (mine included) have the hardware already, but just needs to be enabled with AlfaOBD. Not sure why Ram builds so many trucks with the correct components but doesn't charge for them (and leaves them disabled).

My build sheet has it as an option, so I suppose it should have been active from the factory. I’m looking forward to trying the steps above to see if it’ll work… but I’m sort of expecting it’s a hardware issue with the sensor or wiring.

I’m sure Ram builds it this way to cut down on what would be a much larger SKU count. It’s likely cheaper for them to build more commonality than to have so many build variations. Other than logistics cost savings, there isn’t a real sensible reason to do it.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In JScan, don’t go to adaptations. Go to modules > body controller > configuration, and type in ECU Configuration 1. Then scroll and look for the setting that mentions Pin F26 (or connector F pin 26), and make sure that is active.
Then type in ECU configuration 4, and select tailgate ajar indication and double check that setting there.

Well, I had to do this twice as the first time didn’t enable the setting for some reason, but the 2nd attempt worked. The F26 was not set, but is now!

60c600285ee894781f6aec4c476a5cac.jpg

So obviously I have some reading to do on JScan capabilities, but naturally I’m curious what can be done with this now that I have it.

Thanks for your help, all. This saved me a ton of time and effort over trying to install my own sensor.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm… I’ll have to fiddle with this again tonight.

On my way to work, my tailgate ajar was illuminated even though the tailgate was shut. I had both module 1 and module 4 tailgate settings set to “Set”

I went into Control Module 4 and toggled the tailgate sensor to “Not Set” and that removed the lamp, but also disabled the sensor when I again popped the tailgate open.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like JScan couldn’t properly enable this sensor for me. I’m going to pull the tailgate cover off to try get a look at my latches to see if they have the proper latch installed next. Even though it’s on my build sheet, I’m seeing some reports where proper equipment wasn’t installed.

Regarding JScan, I’m able to enable the sensor, but it shows the tailgate is open at all times, even when it is physically closed. I noticed my truck bed lights were flicked on immediately when starting my vehicle, as well. Seems like the display just isn’t getting a proper sensor reading.

Here’s an image with my truck in Reverse, showing the tailgate open warning but with backup cam showing the tailgate up.
IMG_5934.jpg

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One day I noticed the little icon for the open tailgate was on. No matter how many times I closed my tailgate. Then I remembered I pushed the button on the LED bed lights in the back. Once I pushed the button again, the open tailgate icon went away. Don't ask me why.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4-wires on the passenger side, which I think is correct for the tailgate ajar sensor.

Either I’m doing something wrong in JScan, or this sensor isn’t functional on my truck. Any other ideas?
12241908f3e23a2d5b48c60d04889981.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread