5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release wire located

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is really useful. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking about splicing in a RF controlled switch into this line. This will allow me to attached a small dongle on my car key fob so I would be able to approach my truck and drop the tailgate ahead of time with the push of a button. It would add an additional item on my keys but would be so much cheaper than getting a new key fob and reprogramming it. I was going to buy this $15 switch off amazon.

Amazon.com

Anyone have any thoughts?
would definitely work. but if thats all your after, you can just get a fob for your truck that has the tailgate button. no extra wiring/work necessary. but for $15 and a little work, yeah can't really beat that.

TJBigHorn1500

Reaction score
would definitely work. but if thats all your after, you can just get a fob for your truck that has the tailgate button. no extra wiring/work necessary. but for $15 and a little work, yeah can't really beat that.
Thanks for responding Mike. So if I have a 2022 Big Horn, you think it would work simply by purchasing the key fob with the tailgate release? I figured there would be something else required. If thats the case, maybe ill price it out and see what it actually costs.

TJBigHorn1500

Reaction score
Why?

I have the button on my overhead and on my keyfob and I can't imagine a situation where either would be useful. Opening the tailgate is a easy press of a pad and it only takes a few seconds to be fully open. If your hands are too full to open the tailgate with a free hand then they are also too full to push a button on the keyfob or overhead.
When I am leaving the lumber yard or Home Depot, I have to have my key in my hand to unlock my doors anyways. I do not have passive entry on my 22 Big Horn. I would carry items with the fob in my hand so when I approach the truck, I hit the button and dont have to drop all the things (that I am carrying) on the ground like I have to do now.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for responding Mike. So if I have a 2022 Big Horn, you think it would work simply by purchasing the key fob with the tailgate release? I figured there would be something else required. If thats the case, maybe ill price it out and see what it actually costs.
nothing else required..just programming the fob that has the tailgate button and it works. confirmed on my bighorn and others.

Julio13

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know key fob works just buying key and having it programmed and roof center console also is plug and play no programming needed I bought mine off of eBay got it for 70 dollar used off a 21 Laramie my truck is a 21 big horn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice find!

I was thinking about this the other day.

I wonder if we could add the tailgate open button to the overhead console? Just order it from parts and it will look OEM!

Does this wire go to some module that is computer controlled? Does anyone know where wire terminates?

Hmmm.. can we get a limited key fob too and be able to open the tailgate from that also? It would probably require a programming or "sales code" change.
Yes you can. I have purchased the 5 button fobs. The fobs will need to be programed but no other truck programing is necessary.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure somebody already answered this but you can buy the key fob for Tailgate release. I just did for my 2020 2500 tradesman.
Yes. You can buy the 5 button fob. Have dealer or locksmith program fobs and you are good to go. No other truck programming is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread