5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Pad for Mountain Bikes

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My concern would be dirt/dust getting between the paint and the cover as that would definitely scratch the paint.

so do you remove the cover each time and clean the inside?

seems like using a bike rack would be better?
Right. That's my concern. Even clean, the rubbing alone from just driving will mar the paint to a degree.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have Rambox, but I did try a Yakima tailgate pad before deciding it wasn't for me. It didn't fit quite right, and the rear view camera was blocked even though it had a flap for the tailgate release handle and camera. I have heard that the Dakine DLX pad works better (which was mentioned here), but I never tried it. I would suggest a smaller size.

Do you have the utility tracks with your Rambox? I wonder if something like my setup would work. I use a fork mount, which slides into a t-slot track on my bed cover. With the Rambox, you'd have less width to work with, but perhaps it would still work? My fork mounts are from Rocky Mounts, and they make ones for quick release and thru-axel, including Boost.

IMG_2199 2.jpeg IMG_2173.jpeg

Last edited:

heliinstructor

Reaction score
Did you ever end up purchasing one, and if so which one (brand, size)?

I've been searching for weeks and can't decide on which to get. Narrowed it down to Dakine DLX curve, Thule, or the RaceFace.

Thanks in advance.

Yes. I’ve purchased the Dakine DLX Curve. Small size for Ramboxes. I did quite a bit of research and spoke to a Dakine rep. As the tail gate width is 52” inside between the Ramboxes and the small size pad is 55” they said it should squish in ok. It is also supposed to be the best fit for the style of tailgate as others can appear loose or bunched up. Will install and take pics when I can as I have yet to have my truck delivered to try it out!

2021 Ram Rebel Diamond Black Crystal Night Edition

heliinstructor

Reaction score
What type of fabric is on the side that contacts the tailgate? Hopefully some sort of soft material to minimize scratching, otherwise it will scour that tailgate just rubbing against from driving, going over bumps, etc.

The Dakine pad is recycled polyester with UV/weather-resistant coating

heliinstructor

Reaction score
My concern would be dirt/dust getting between the paint and the cover as that would definitely scratch the paint.

so do you remove the cover each time and clean the inside?

seems like using a bike rack would be better?

I thought the same but almost all the bikers I see with trucks when I ride have a pad. They’ve all said no issue with paint. Most of them remove pad when not in use but mainly so no one steals them!!

Last edited:

ELiTE 1

Reaction score
Yes. I’ve purchased the Dakine DLX Curve. Small size for Ramboxes. I did quite a bit of research and spoke to a Dakine rep. As the tail gate width is 52” inside between the Ramboxes and the small size pad is 55” they said it should squish in ok. It is also supposed to be the best fit for the style of tailgate as others can appear loose or bunched up. Will install and take pics when I can as I have yet to have my truck delivered to try it out!

Thank you for the info! I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Enjoy your new truck!

bobgnarley

Reaction score
Just to follow up on this, I don't leave the pad on my truck if I'm not using it – I just throw the pad on the floor behind the back seats and it's always within reach whenever I need it. The Dakine has a nice, almost chamois-like material on the side that contacts the paint, so I never worry about it when it's on.

Also, I carelessly loaded a bike a few weeks ago and the fork lower put a dent in my tailgate. The price of having such a lightweight tailgate is that aluminum dents easily. Not a big deal, but you do need to load/unload with care.

MtnSprite

Reaction score

Yamie700

Reaction score
I tried a tailgate pad, I think it was a Dakine curved one, but returned it. My opinion is our tailgates are just too wide, most all trucks are now. Seems any pad or moving blanket will mean the bike is resting on the suspension stanchions and will rub as you drive. No bueno for any kind of trip. I got a Latchit rack a little over a year ago and I love it. Costs more than the pads but I think its worth it. After you get it adjusted to your tailgate the first time it doesn't take any tools to mount and unmount it after that. On and off in about 60 seconds. As you lock your truck the Latchit is locked to your truck through the tailgate pins, and it has a cable that runs through it so you can lock your bikes to the rack. And you save space in your bed as the bikes sit further back, and nothing touching the paint on the tailgate so nothing to rub. I use mine all the time with 4 or 5 bikes and would highly recommend it.

heliinstructor

Reaction score
So finally got my ram rebel! Here is the Dakine installed. It is a great fit with the ram boxes and MFT. I ordered the small size pad. Will take 4 bikes easily.

d6c4b9485b4ceb51fbd940304bb4961e.jpg

12c6a015ea129e87cf48769c898083eb.jpg

andrewspoke

Reaction score
I know I am late to the party, but I thought the pics might help someone else. I put a Raceface T2 pad on with a Truxeudo lopro tonneau cover and there was no problem at all.

Attachments

• 20211020_090459.jpg
    20211020_090459.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20211020_090853.jpg
    20211020_090853.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 75

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I know I am late to the party, but I thought the pics might help someone else. I put a Raceface T2 pad on with a Truxeudo lopro tonneau cover and there was no problem at all.
Welcome to the forum! Pls put your truck details on your signature when you have a minute.

Cheers,

SilverNight22

Reaction score
I know this thread has been quiet for awhile but I'm trying to decide which pad will work best. Looks like most are happy with the Dakine curve pad. Since it's been a year since this was started, does anyone have a change in opinion on how their paint is holding up?

I have also found this newer product that seems decent but not a ton of reviews with newer rams

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

mike146

Reaction score
I know this thread has been quiet for awhile but I'm trying to decide which pad will work best. Looks like most are happy with the Dakine curve pad. Since it's been a year since this was started, does anyone have a change in opinion on how their paint is holding up?

I have also found this newer product that seems decent but not a ton of reviews with newer rams

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Will this even fit current Rams? They show 2009 to present, but that doesn't account for body change in 2019. Otherwise, not bad looking. Would put that on my list when the time comes to research more.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wasn't planning on buying a tailgate pad, but Walmart had this for $35 two weeks ago. It finally arrived last weekend.

Attachments

• PXL_20220812_225451427.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220812_225451427.PORTRAIT.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 51

Chris3058

Reaction score
Just watch your paint underneath. Ask me how I know on my last truck. I now run a Thule hitch mount tray rack. Stupid money however no paint issues. Or get your tailgate covered in 3M

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I almost bought a tailgate pad, but talked to another guy with an eMTB who recommended I stay with the hitch rack. Paint issue was one thing, but lifting a 50lb over the tailgate, especially after a hard ride was the other.

Users who are viewing this thread